Ear piercing gone wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsjl

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am licensed and insured for Ear piercing and I have done many over the years but for some reason seem to be losing my confidence.

Tonight I had a regular client that brought a lady & her daughter along, the daughter was having her ears done. All was fine and I pierced the first ear, she was obviously then distraught and her mum was consoling her. She then held her head to the side sort of in her arms and said quick lets get it over with. So I then lined up my gun and pierced the other ear, now she was still crying and I can't honestly say that I can remember if she moved her head or not but on closer inspection the earring was clearly slanted, the back was a lot lower than the stud at the front.

I kept calm and told her mum that as she'd moved I didn't get it straight, was feeling really hot and stressed by this point and Ido think this was the reason. She was fine about it and she said it was ok but it clearly isn't!! What would you do next? Nothing and hope she is happy with it and i'm over reacting or offer to do them again if she takes it out and lets it heal! Feel quite sick!

Hello Nats, I don't mean to patronise you in any way but this is a common problem with piercing guns & even more so children who's parents have consented to them being pierced so don't be doubting your skill. However you dealt with the situation well & it's obvious that you are compassionate as you're worrying! I'd contact them in a week or so to ask how they're getting on & if they've had any problems, ask her if they are happy with the placement! If they aren't simply explain to them that an earlobe is purely soft tissue & will heal with minimal scarring & it would be possible for it to be pierced again in 6 or so months time. Good luck my dear :)

Thanks for your reply, i've been reading online tonight and seen that this can happen, don't really understand why though! I'm thinking ny ear piercing days are over, it really seems to get me worked up in case they aren't even and now this has happened i'll forever be worrying that it'll happen again. Xxx

I think it's just the way the guns are manufactured & that soft tissue is so easily manipulated that they can sometimes end up wonky. In my own opinion I think that body piercing should be done with a needle, for this reason among many others. I'm really sorry it's put you off, but at least if you choose to give up body piercing then you can focus on developing other aspects of your career :) all the best x

What a nightmare.

I had my first ear pierce in a few weeks ago and was dreading it because I hadnt done one yet on a paying client and it was 6 months ago since I did the training but It was all fine.

She proberly didnt have her head straight then or the gun wasnt held straight but seems like it would of been her.

Yes I would proberly give her a call and ask if she wants to come in and you can re-do it although sounds like she wont want to.

How old was she?

Thanks guys, she was 9, couldn't slep but been in touch again today and she's told me not to worry and its fine! I do think its nerve racking as once its done its done! Xxx

In my own opinion I think that body piercing should be done with a needle, for this reason among many others.
Yes I completely agree.

Edit: sorry I meant to add to the OP, try not to beat yourself up, it happens and on such a young kid they are bound to be twitchy, especially if they've had one done already and they know it's going to hurt!

Latest posts

Back