Email query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sazza83

Reaction score
I have quick question in relation of emails, I am looking into setting up a mobile business when i finish training next summer and i am wondering where can I get a business email address cheaply?
sazza x

If it's literally just an email address you want then you can get free ones from: AOL, gmail, hotmail etc

Hth xx

If it's literally just an email address you want then you can get free ones from: AOL, gmail, hotmail etc

Hth xx

NO NO NO!

a AOL, Gmail or Hotmail is not going to give your clients a good first impression about you.

What you need to do is purchase a domain name such as www.yourcompany.co.uk and with that (depending where you purchase from), you willl get upto 1000 email address such as [email protected]. You may be require you to purchase hosting as well, but as I never buy email on its own, I'm sure Ruth Mills will would able to advise you a little more

If you buy a domain name you generally do not have to buy hosting so its just a case of purchasing the domain name. You then pick the prefixes - such as sales/yourname/info etc @ companyname.co.uk or whatever you choose. Then you just redirect them to your personal email address. Your business emails will then be received through your normal email address.

But when you send an email or reply to one, it will show that it is sent from your personal email and not your business one.

xx

NO NO NO!

a AOL, Gmail or Hotmail is not going to give your clients a good first impression about you.

What you need to do is purchase a domain name such as www.yourcompany.co.uk and with that (depending where you purchase from), you willl get upto 1000 email address such as [email protected]. You may be require you to purchase hosting as well, but as I never buy email on its own, I'm sure Ruth Mills will would able to advise you a little more

Sorry didn't mean to offend you or step on any toes, as I explained if it was literally an email address then they are free, I didn't go into domain names etc because that's not my knowledge area, was just answering a straight question with an answer :s

I can see I'm in way over my head lol
My answer seems so basic eek

Sorry!

thank you all for your help,would someone explain what hosting is please i'm a bit thick with these things...is hosting where you get a website too or is that something totally else?also at the moment i just want email but once up and running i will think about getting a website running but seeing i only do friends and family as i am still training in hair while i have trained in nails i thought i would think things through and get figures written down etc
sazza x

thank you all for your help,would someone explain what hosting is please i'm a bit thick with these things...is hosting where you get a website too or is that something totally else?also at the moment i just want email but once up and running i will think about getting a website running but seeing i only do friends and family as i am still training in hair while i have trained in nails i thought i would think things through and get figures written down etc
sazza x

Embellir - wasn't been nasty, but explaining you shouldn't use AOL etc

Sazza - hosting it virtual webspace where you can host/have a website, but along with this, comes the option to use email as well. I take it you don't have a website at present? are you looking for one, as this may be beneficial to look at something for website and email together

Last edited:
sounds like it would be best to get email and website together,do you guys know of any good hosting sites that don't cost the earth.
Thanx again for all your help :)
Sazza

I have a yahoo account so my business name @yahoo.co.uk and it is linked to my website through an enquiry button and I have had tons of business through this. I dont think it has made me look unprofessional and it was easy to set up and manage.

Genuine question; why would a gmail address look so bad?
Would most clients see it as a red flag?

I have a yahoo account so my business name @yahoo.co.uk and it is linked to my website through an enquiry button and I have had tons of business through this. I dont think it has made me look unprofessional and it was easy to set up and manage.

if you're using a contact form, it isn't too bad as the actual email address is hidden.

Genuine question; why would a gmail address look so bad?
Would most clients see it as a red flag?

its a poor mans way of contacting you. Its like having a Bentley, with a Vauxhall badge attached. It doesn't look professional (imo)

I do understand what you are saying Tracys. Obviously potential clients dont really see my email address untill I email them back and by then I think they are oblivious to the email address as all they want to do is book. Also I think when they get an email from me it just comes up with the business name and they wouldnt realise it is a yahoo unless they read through the email history.

I think a good professional website is the most important thing and go from there in regards to the email address.

Google 123-reg

You can search domain names on there for your business name and get a couple of email addresses for less than £20.

Best to buy the .com for your business as it's easily recognised. Set it up even if you don't create a website just yet.

Once you've done that then just create the email address. If you get stuck, there is a really good help section.

And they email van be set to forward on to any email you want i.e your personal email.

Best to pick something like '[email protected]' or '[email protected]'

As a general basic rule gmail yahoo etc are an ABSOLUTE NO NO! it just screams amateur or small business... The name of the game is to make yourself look as legitimate and consistent as poss so it inspires confidence in clients.

I and most of my colleagues would run a mile from any business with personal emails, especially as proper ones are relatively cheap and easy to set up.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Ps clients WILL notice a yahoo address.

As there is now sooooo much choice out there in our sector, it's the little things that count more than ever.

X

Thank you all so much for all the info and I will have a good look into this.I understand why certain email addresses would say small business or start up business.thank you all again for giving me this info
sazza x

Thank you all so much for all the info and I will have a good look into this.I understand why certain email addresses would say small business or start up business.thank you all again for giving me this info
sazza x

no probs, give us a bell if you need anymore advice or help.

Latest posts

Back