Employ staff or % self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggsy

Reaction score
Trying to decide which is the best option- employ someone or get them in self employed on a 50/50 split with me providing product? What are the pitfalls to both? Really wanted to do self employed but the more I research the more employ seems the better option :confused:
Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Personally I have two employees ... one is a beauty therapist the other a trainee, it works better for me, control over what they do and how they work etc.
I wanted the salon to be a certain way and have a standardisation on treatments etc (ie I wanted clients to come in and habe any person and the treatment be the same)

I do have a s/e hairdresser for hair ups and blows, but we only have her on certain days as its more an add on service for my clients.

Im not a hairdresser so it was much simpler to let her have full control over that.

Financially as im a new business a lot of my start up budget was put towards wages, but it was well worth it

Good luck x

That's what I'm concerned about really is the initial cost of paying wages although I'm sure in the long run it will be more profitable for the salon. Does it make life more complicated employing someone?

Are you hair or beauty?
Will you be working yourself ?
How many to you plam to employ ?
Sent from my GT-P5210 using SalonGeek mobile app

I mainly just do nails though I've just completed eyebrows, in the throws of doing my facial and body massage course. The girl I have got coming into the shop with me is mainly beauty. I plan to do all the elements of beauty eventually but my initial idea was for me to do nails and her to do beauty, however I felt that as the owner I needed to be able to do more.

I don't think so, i pay for an accountant to sort the legalities of the paye etc as id rather that be done by a professional than me stressomg about it!

I can imagine its more complicated having a rental in tho as they can do as they please....... ??

Personally I think if your going to employ you need to know the ins and outs of your job, so if you hit a problem then you can deal with it. I Although im sure there is many on here who don't do everything they offer in the salon, but thats just my choice x

Yes I agree because as someone had mentioned to me in a previous post...how can you regulate something you know nothing about, hence why I'm spending a fortune on training courses :(
I do feel employing someone maybe the better option just purely down to the fact of wanting full control of my salon :rolleyes:

I was in your same situation a few months ago! U have recently opened my own salon and had initially been looking for someone to come in self employed, the obvious benefit being no set wages which can help with start up costs. However the more I looked the more I realised I wasn't going to be able to run things how I wanted so it wasn't the right fit! In the end I employed someone and I'm really glad I did, you just need to make sure you have enough cash flow to cover the wages!

Hi. I'm in the same situation. I currently have two girls on a 60/40 split and it's ok but I think id be better off employing. Not sure what the going rate of pay is for a barber and a fully qualified level 3 hairdresser??? Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back