Employed or self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airey fairy

Reaction score
Hii all..

Thanks in advance right I am currently employed working around 42 hours a week but.. I've been told that my hours are going to be cut :( I'm in a catch 22 just do not know what to do I love the salon that I work in but ... Things are understandably a bit icy at present due to myself worrying and my boss an I lack communication. if im honest don't know what to say as my wage will be a quarter this is where I come stuck I've been told to "own my cloumn. "I get that but what I don't understand is I am expected to leaflet drop n so on during my own time .... Aswell as working within the salon I also have another job n attend college .. Do I A keep at it n do the leaflet dropping hoping that my coloumn will build up ( what's the garuntee) or do I jump ship due to the hours decrease ( is this a sign that we are no longer going to be) or do I take the risk n work more at my other job ( that I don't particularly enjoy) urrrrrrgh I just have no clue v stuck n confused
:( :( x

It's all very well of your boss to tell you to "own your column" but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get more hours.

If you're at college because you want to go into teaching, workwise I would go where the money is for now and then focus on getting a teaching job in the long run whilst keeping my hand in beauty with a bit of self employment in the short run.

I wouldn't want to work for someone who expected me to promote their business in my time so I can see why you're not impressed with your boss at the moment.

That's my thoughts Laura v confused at the moment an have v mixed feelings I just don't understand what exactly she wants from me... The lease is coming up for renewal shortly n I'm thinking hmmm if it's all a bit "up in the air"
That's no good for me when I have bills n a mortgage to pay I need employment where I know security is there ok you can't garuntee this all the time within this industry but I kind of need it before I finish my CTLLS n then see where the land lies then :( I hate unrest and upheaval

She wants you to run your column and earn your money.
We live in an era where the market is saturated. Clients have choice so you can't sit on your bum hoping clients are going to come to you.
By owning your column she means sye wants you to be in charge of filling it and filling it effectively.
I am talking on the assumption that she is cutting your hours because you are not filling the ones you are doing at present?
Promote yourself in any way you can.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

She is cutting them from 42 to 30.... That's massive that's a whole weeks worth of wages just gone as we've got a mortgage and commitments then I can only think I have to look elsewhere for a position I don't want to as the salon is handy ie I live like a 3 min car journey from it but...... I can't survive on just 30 hours. My only bug bearer is that if I get another job to fill up the shortfall n then I build up my clientele n then she wants me back in on the day that she's cut me from what am I to do just give up the other job... I can't be hanging on a thread just waiting around for her to then say oh come back in on that day ... What if it then goes quiet again where am I left once again arrrrrrrgh life can be so complex sometimes.

She is cutting them from 42 to 30.... That's massive that's a whole weeks worth of wages just gone as we've got a mortgage and commitments then I can only think I have to look elsewhere for a position I don't want to as the salon is handy ie I live like a 3 min car journey from it but...... I can't survive on just 30 hours. My only bug bearer is that if I get another job to fill up the shortfall n then I build up my clientele n then she wants me back in on the day that she's cut me from what am I to do just give up the other job... I can't be hanging on a thread just waiting around for her to then say oh come back in on that day ... What if it then goes quiet again where am I left once again arrrrrrrgh life can be so complex sometimes.

So do you want her to pay you an hourly rate for 42 hours when you are not using those 42 hours to make her money?

I don't want to sound harsh but she has a mortgage too, and business rates, stock to pay for, training.. she may be cutting your hours as a money saving scheme, she can't afford to carry stylists with empty columns forever maybe?

I would take It as an opportunity to show her what you are made of.

Edit just realised you are not a stylist so substitute stylist with Nail Tech or Therapist, same applies

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Nearlyme is totally right. Your main efforts much be in building up your clientele within the salon. You cannot build up a mobile business instead, and expect your boss to pay you to sit in the staff room. If you fill those 30 hours and start making her some profit, i can guarantee youll be back to 40 hours in a flash.

I only guarantee my employee 20 paid hours per week. She boosts this with a pub job. I have told her that she has to earn more than I pay her and she does. She always rebooks clients and I hear her offering upsell all the time. She has also trained in the skin care and boosts her earnings with retail. 42 hours is a hell of a lot to be employed for and is a hell of a lot to pay. There is no easy answer and only you can decide which way to go. I'm afraid we are all hit in different ways with a continuing recession and it's crap but that's life!
Good luck

Vicki x

Hmm I guess I know where your coming from just it's a bit pants .... Just gonna have to get out there n network even more than I have done n hope that my hours go back up its a tad tense in the salon at the mo between us but I'm gonna dust myself off n try again nothing else I can do or leave n have half an hour commute to work which considering I'm used to 2 mins would be a great shock I hope the works.....

Hmm I guess I know where your coming from just it's a bit pants .... Just gonna have to get out there n network even more than I have done n hope that my hours go back up its a tad tense in the salon at the mo between us but I'm gonna dust myself off n try again nothing else I can do or leave n have half an hour commute to work which considering I'm used to 2 mins would be a great shock I hope the works.....

Once you've 'dusted yourself off :wink2: and decided your plan of action, perhaps ask your boss for a meeting to discuss your plan. Let her know you understand where she's coming from whilst also putting your side forward. You can show her how proactive you intend to be & set a timescale for intended improvements. This should help alleviate the tense atmosphere & buy up you some time to improve you column!

Good luck

Deb

That's my thoughts Laura v confused at the moment an have v mixed feelings I just don't understand what exactly she wants from me... The lease is coming up for renewal shortly n I'm thinking hmmm if it's all a bit "up in the air"
That's no good for me when I have bills n a mortgage to pay I need employment where I know security is there ok you can't garuntee this all the time within this industry but I kind of need it before I finish my CTLLS n then see where the land lies then :( I hate unrest and upheaval

Go where the money is. It sounds like you've got a lot going on and other potential options in the long run.

Don't let her problem become yours. I'm all for having a positive attitude at work but I would rather jump ship if somebody else's business problems were going to transcend down into me having money problems. I don't think it's selfish to jump ship because 30 hours in a salon would be worth a lot to some people and they could bring value and enthusiasm to your employer should you choose to leave. I guess it all depends what you want and what your circumstances are.

Just had another staff meeting and my hours are going to be 30 for three months then going to drop done to 20 after this......... Unfortunately I can't survive on this I'm going to have to look somewhere else...have been stressing about this all day and don't quite know what to do next .... Am very concerned and have high financial commitments now than I ever have had. Feel very sick and ill at present so much so after being ill I had to go home for the rest of the day. Life is a bit pants at the moment.

Just had another staff meeting and my hours are going to be 30 for three months then going to drop done to 20 after this......... Unfortunately I can't survive on this I'm going to have to look somewhere else...have been stressing about this all day and don't quite know what to do next .... Am very concerned and have high financial commitments now than I ever have had. Feel very sick and ill at present so much so after being ill I had to go home for the rest of the day. Life is a bit pants at the moment.

:(

I rave about spas as if I love them (even though they're hard work and it's a job with a definite shelf life) but I would urge you to apply to some near you because it's the busy season for spas now and highly likely you'll be able to get the hours you need through this. Sounds like you'll be flogging a dead horse with your current employer.

Fingers crossed for you and get well soon xx

It just seems like an unfortunate situation to be in. If you are finding that you are just not getting the hours that you need, maybe it is time for you to move along. Who knows, ultimately that might be the best decision you ever made. I do hope you feel better and I wish you all the best in the future (whatever it may bring)

The plot thickens I've been given a contract ..... THAT STINKS

Last edited:
Just thought id update you ladies I have handed my notice in today eeeeeeeek and I start my new Senior Spa Therapist role in just under 2 weeks time :) thanks to all who gave advice and time out to answer me :)

Latest posts

Back