Employed to self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodley123

Reaction score
Hi guys just look for abit of advice I have been employed in my salon for 11 years and qualified 8 I have said to my boss several times about going self employed and he has said it wont benefit me I have just realised I am on less than national minium wage I pretty much run the salon for him If I work on later than my hours I dont get any extra .. anyway my friend has offered me to work in her salon on a Monday (my day off) on a self employed basis to try earn some more money I have asked my boss and he was totally fine with it but now am thinking rather than paying double tax I may as well just bite the bullet and go self employed all together I have a full clientele so I dont see why not... we are located in a quiet village I was wandering what's the going rates these days to rent a chair ? Or any advice on my situation would be great

Sounds like a plan!
You come across as someone who isn’t afraid of hard work or taking on responsibility so I think you have a good starting point.
There’s plenty of threads on here about going self employed so use the search function and start doing some research. The first thing you will need to invest in is public liability insurance.
You’ll need to factor in paying your own tax and national insurance plus paying into a private pension scheme.

Daily chair rent varies because it’s up to the individual stylist and salon owner to negotiate terms but is usually roughly equivalent to the cost of a cut/blow dry. So if you normally charge clients say, £45 for a cut/blow then expect your daily rent to be around this figure.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Best of luck!

The people in my area who rent a chair all do a percentage, probably 50/50?? (This is in London). But I think you should go for it, you sound ready! I’m mobile and took the same leap about 8 years ago, never looked back. Good luck xx

Well we live in a quiet village and we charge £23 for a cut and majority off colours range from £30 to £40 no higher so we are massively under priced to other salons around us so I hope he comes up with something good as am working 3 other jobs to get extra money my pot washing job is £9 a hour witch is alot better than my salon job ... so I have bit the bullet and told him I want to go self employed so waiting on how he wants to do it

I think it would be better to cut your losses as your old boss is likely to continue to treat you as employed whilst you still work in his salon and he’s not going to be happy if you try to increase your prices.

Could you offer your friend £25 a day rent and start from scratch there?

Advertise an introductory offer for the first appt. to encourage people to book and then a discount of say. 15% for a refer a friend scheme whilst increasing your prices to match the local area.

Surely it’s nearer £40 for a c/bd in your area?

Latest posts

Back