Employing staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Nails

Reaction score
I'm looking for a little feedback. I'm currently renting a beauty room and nail bar in a hair and beauty salon. It's going really well, so well that i'm thinking of employing another therapist to work the days that i'm not in the salon.

My question is to those that are employers is at what point do you consider getting in extra help. i would say i'm about 80% booked on the 3 days i'm in. And do turn away clients because the popular times are booked out.

Taking into account the extra rent and a part time employees wage i could do it...but it is scary...:Scared:

just bumping this up,x ;)

There are a few things to think about here, why don't you get her to be with you on the same days as you, if those are the times that clients want, you can keep an eye on her and see how well she does, when you feel you can let her work on her own, then do so. I would always place a new employee on a probationary period of 6 months to see how things go.
Always take up references, this is always where I have found problems by taking people at face value and have paid heavily, more than just the wages! If you want any more advice just pm me, I have been an employer for 10 years now, and I honestly think I was happier on my own.

The way I look at new therapists is to work out their cost and anything above and beyond is profit, with potential to grow by accommodating more clients.

Also, you may lose clients for good if they can not book with you. They may try somewhere else and stay with them?

Myself and our manager worked out recently that a therapist costs us about £78 per day incl. Nat Insurance and bonuses. To me, that means that's what they have to cover as profit at a minimum per day. Based on taking approx. £30 per hour they would need to be treating people for at least three hours a day.

And, even if it means you spread some of your own workload, it may allow you more time to get new business.

I am in the process of employing a hairdresser 4 days a week. I'm not fully booked all day every day on the days shes in, but fri and sat are pretty busy and as said, you can spread your workload.

Im now getting to the stage where im so busy on Saturdays and clients only want me, so I want her in asap so that she can start building her own clients, rather than me squeezing them in one time then them being desperate to come back to me when I can squeeze them in again!

Good luck but I think you may see the benefits. xx

Thanks for your help. I've placed an Ad in the local job centre so will see what happens

Debbie,:D

I took on somebody for just 10 hours the first time I employed someone, I would always give them a 3-6months probationary period to see if you get on ok and if she is the right one for you. Have an airtight contract and staff handbook, so that everything is in black and white, it just shows that this is serious business for you and will make sure that you don't learn by mistakes that can be very costly. If you need any more advice, I am happy to help, just pm me with your queries, I have nine members of staff now and it has'nt been all plain sailing I can tell you.

I am currently in the process of looking for staff but i can tell you that it isn't easy finding the right people. I've been looking for a couple months now and still haven't found the right person yet. So i suggest allowing some time to find the right person.

Latest posts

Back