Employment in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hi guys :)

So I am thinking of taking on a nail tech in my salon on a percentage based pay rate rather than a set wage.

Has anyone any experience with this?

I do gel extensions myself but have a bad back and neck issues so it isn’t ideal for me to be sitting for hours doing full sets anymore and I am busy enough with the other beauty and makeup treatments that I offer.

I have a lot of interest in nails and don’t like to say no to everyone all the time if it’s for anything other than a gel polish so this is where the idea to get some help has came about.

I’m in the very early stages of building my business still so that’s why I was thinking of a percentage basis rather than a set wage and this would be a non self employed position. As in I will be setting the Rota and supplying all products etc and paying the tax for the nail professional.

Has anyone worked in such a position or ever employed someone on a similar basis?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I’m meeting g with an adviser in the coming weeks but wanted to see if anyone in salon feel had any experience with this also :)

Thanks,
Nat x

Sorry, that won’t work.
It’s illegal not to pay at least minimum wage if you’re employing someone so you need to either employ and pay minimum wage (plus holiday and sick pay etc.) or agree to a commission split but accept that they’re an entirely separate business to yours and they can run their business however they wish to and the clients the service are 100% their clients.

Taken from BBC website article written in February 2017.
The government has named 360 businesses which have failed to pay either the National Minimum Wage (NMW) or the National Living Wage (NLW).
More than 15,500 workers had to be paid back nearly one million pounds.
But that may represent just the tip of the iceberg: The Office for National Statistics has calculated that 362,000 jobs did not pay the NMW in April 2016. However that includes some people who get accommodation or other benefits as part of their pay.
The biggest offenders were employers in hairdressing, hospitality and retail.
One worker at a dental practice in London's Harley Street was refunded nearly £12,000.
The business owners would be fined as well as having to pay out the lost wages, holiday pay etc.
——————————

If you can’t afford to take on someone full time could you consider offering part time hours or drop Nails from your service menu and focus on doing the higher profit services yourself and let a self employed nail tech cover the nail clients?

Sorry, that won’t work.
It’s illegal not to pay at least minimum wage if you’re employing someone so you need to either employ and pay minimum wage (plus holiday and sick pay etc.) or agree to a commission split but accept that they’re an entirely separate business to yours and they can run their business however they wish to and the clients the service are 100% their clients.

Taken from BBC website article written in February 2017.
The government has named 360 businesses which have failed to pay either the National Minimum Wage (NMW) or the National Living Wage (NLW).
More than 15,500 workers had to be paid back nearly one million pounds.
But that may represent just the tip of the iceberg: The Office for National Statistics has calculated that 362,000 jobs did not pay the NMW in April 2016. However that includes some people who get accommodation or other benefits as part of their pay.
The biggest offenders were employers in hairdressing, hospitality and retail.
One worker at a dental practice in London's Harley Street was refunded nearly £12,000.
The business owners would be fined as well as having to pay out the lost wages, holiday pay etc.
——————————

If you can’t afford to take on someone full time could you consider offering part time hours or drop Nails from your service menu and focus on doing the higher profit services yourself and let a self employed nail tech cover the nail clients?
Thanks so much for your help!:)
I’ve decided against it and to focus on the rest of my services! I have since been informed I wouldn’t be allowed to rent my desk to a nail technician so that option is sadly out the window!

Xx

Latest posts

Back