empy shell - great opportunity but how do i get the best design

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttons

Reaction score
Its been a while since i have been on but as usual in my hours of need i always call back for some fantastic advice. I have grown my salon over the last 3 years and now have 3 staff from it being little old me lol.

Anyway i might be forced out my building and have found a fantastic new premise that is council owned and just one big empty perfect shell of 260 sq metres. I have nogotiated a fantastic price and the plan is to turn it into a spa. I have a friend who has an exhisting hair salon who would rent space also. Its a big space i could put in sauna, jaccuzzi, maybe toning tables a little coffee ares. Offer to sub let some treatment rooms to oestiopath ( Spelling) and other health proffesional. Many ideas going round my head.
Im desperately trying to find someone who has the experience to design it for me. Has anyone any ideas where i could find such a person?
Also any ideas more than welcome. Thank you xx

what you want is a spa consultant, but i warn you they are not cheap. If you know what you want why not have a go yourself on paper.

Good luck

Ah is that what they are called lol. I will definatlet have a go my self but have designed my past salon and so many things i would change. Noise is my worst problem. Will a normal architect be worth a try also. How much we talking do you think ? x

A Lot Of Money, Believe Me.

Put The Current Layout On Some Drawing Paper (small Squared Paper) And Use It To Scale Ie I Sqaure = 1 Foot

Check What Walls Are Support And What Are Stud Walls (stud Walls Can Be Easy Knocked Down

Plan From Here

Keep The Hair Salon Away From The Treatment Rooms Because Of The Noise

See It Is Easy

Get Lots Of Input From Friends And Family

Next Get Some Mood Boards To Help With Colours And Textures

Yeah you do make it sound easy lol. there are no walls what so ever so thats easy well apart from the kitchen and toilet. I will have a go and see what i can come up with. Dont suppose you know if there lots of regs around having a spa and sauna? my biggest problem in current salon is noise echoing through the ceiling as i high ceiling and rooms built in it will be the same in new one.
Altho i'm sure where there is a will there is a way

Thank you for yourb advice - is this from experience? x

An Architect!!!

My Dad is one and has designed some fantastic buildings over the years from Swimming Pools to Golf Clubs, etc.

If you give him a ring he'll be able to give you an idea of prices, etc.

It is more of an interior designer as the shell is already built.

Yeah i was unsure of if it would be an interior designer or architect. As i thought interior designers were about furnishings nd stuff, where as i need lots of walls putting in for treatment rooms, spa area, changing rooms hairdressing, reception retail area. I personally just dont know where to begin. to make best use of space and functional and keep cost down. x

If it helps, this is how i'm going about the same issue..

I basically invited quotes from salon fit-out contractors (which you can google out), who actually took the shell plan and my design brief i.e. the services I will offer, and using their experience of salon fit-outs, created lay-out plans and M&E (mechanical & Electrical specification) plans, for free, so that they can price it up.

They're too expensive to take up the quotes, but at least I have my lay-out and M&E drawings ; )
Then you can go about the aesthetics, either yourself, or with an interior designer.

Never thought of that. Do they actually give you the designs. Would've thought they'd keep them to themselves till you agree to go with them. x

Latest posts

Back