Emulsifying dark colours from hair line to stop staining?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemissm

Reaction score
Hi I have a friend who's roots I colour. She used to use box colours but I have converted her to pro colours( not sure if it's because I am using up my old colours & doing it for Free) well she has a 4.0 in majirel as she is about 85% grey. I always find she gets terrible staining around the hairline. I have tried barrier cream ( works but I can't let it touch hair so still leaves slight staining), emulsifying ( tint removes tint) I have even tried putting shampoo first without water & really rubbing nothing works. She always moans at me about it saying what sort of hairdresser am I. I laugh it off & say your not paying so stop moaning & she says well if I was paying I wouldn't pay because of the staining. The staining isn't as bad as when she was box colouring her hair. Do any of you have any tips to stop the staining?? She is the only one this ever happens to.she is moaning more today as she is going out tonight. I feel to tell her to go else where for her colour.

Last edited:
As well as barrier cream, I find it can help if you use a larger comb & standing behind client not in front to comb hair completely back away from hairline and apply tint towards you away from hairline, this way hardly any should actually get on the forehead Also don't wait till shampooing, immediately after application go round and clean up around hairline area before it has a chance to really skink in to the skin. Hope it helps x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you tried a stain remover?

I bought one as have a client who stains badly, and it does seem to lift it off quite well.

As well as barrier cream, I find it can help if you use a larger comb & standing behind client not in front to comb hair completely back away from hairline and apply tint towards you away from hairline, this way hardly any should actually get on the forehead Also don't wait till shampooing, immediately after application go round and clean up around hairline area before it has a chance to really skink in to the skin. Hope it helps x

Thanks I do do all of this but she has the odd stray grey hair which isn't actually on the hairline but a bit further down if you know what I mean. Before I used to leave these alone as it was more on the forehead but she just moans that I'm not covering it properly.

I bought one as have a client who stains badly, and it does seem to lift it off quite well.

Sorry yes I have. I forgot to add that when I was posting.

I never have this problem with anyone else just her.

No vaseline is my only other option, but you've tried a barrier cream...!

It is more tricky with the dark tints! In the old days before stain remover and health & safety regs I heard that salons used to use cigarette ash, never tried it or seen it being done myself as sounds yuk but if you need a last resort lol! Failing that tell your friend to book her hair in a day or 2 before a night out! Some stain removers seem better than others, it might be worth testing out a different one!

I use stain remover just before you wash the colour out - it always gets everything off, even very dark bases... but i think some colour ranges stain more than others dont they? I dont use loreal so not sure about that

Which stain remover did u use?

Vines Biocrin

Going to try the Wella one next time to see how that goes.

Ask her to wear foundation on the day you colour her hair. It acts as a barrier

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not a hair person BUT I have had my hair coloured brown for a long time and have found the best thing to stop colour staining the skin is wet wipes.

My colour is applied to the parting & around face & hairline first then applied to the rest of the head (roots), then wipe around the hairline with wet wipes, the colour is removed from the skin but has had enough time on the hair to take allowing you to scrub slightly into the hairline for those wispy areas without removing all the colour from the hair.

Might be worth a try.

Sorry I've just jumped over from Nails!! I'm old enough to remember the cigarette ash method and it's not all it's made out to be - apart from which, it stinks!!! I have my roots done every month at the salon, Wella No. 6 which although is classed as a dark blonde it comes out quite a dark brown on my head! Anyway, believe it or not I use Johnsons Baby Wipes for my stain removal, and it gets it out better than anything I've used throughout the years. If I get a bad line (ie applied by the Junior, bless her) then I usually have a go with the salon tint remover before I get rinsed off (I do it myself then I can have a proper scrub). Then when I get home, I use the Wipes and the only line you can see is red where I've been scrubbing - but all the colour comes off. Hope this helps your client, but maybe a good idea to get her to do it herself then she can't tell you off because you're hurting her! LOL!!!:lol:

Perm lotion works the best for me...... stinks though! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Are you skin testing for perm solution before you are using it on your clients skin? I have a clients whos ears were burned using this method.
I dont apply directly to skin round hairline. I use my comb to apply tint on temples and fine baby hair. Also its an old fashioned technique applying hairline first. Hair round hairline is often fine and fragile

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

cigarette ash and milk!

Milk works!

Fag ash and milk works really well! Baby wipes work, as does Dermalogica scaling solution.

Best thing of all though, is to learn to apply tint so that it doesn't hit the hairline in the first place. Worth practicing.

Latest posts

Back