Even more anxious trainee!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillian

Reaction score
Hi I am newly qualified to level 2. I often help ou the senior stylists when they are busy or running a little behind. The other day I was asked to blowdry and straighten a clients hair after it had been coloured and cut by one of the stylists. While I was doing the blowdry the client kept touching her hair and moving it into a different position (I had asked her how she liked it to be blowdryed and how her parting fell etc). After I had finished and went to get the straighteners she picked up the hair dryer and started blasting her hair. I was a bit shocked tbh I've not experienced this before lol. I asked her what the problem was and she said her hair wasn't dry ( it deffo was) i was just shocked she wouldn't just say if she felt there was a problem. Anyway after drying her dry hair again I went to section it to straighten and she got really nasty and said she wanted the stylist to do it. I was actually really embarrassed and upset but just said it was fine to her. I don't know what else I could have done and I have probably taken it to heart. I am already quite nervous and doubt myself a lot :(. Is this just a normal reaction to a trainee ? :(

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you! But, yeah, I've just qualified myself and throughout my training and even now this happens to me. Some clients are very rude to us, but I think you just have to distance yourself from it and smile. Don't let it bother you, at the end of the day if you haven't done anything wrong then there's no need to doubt yourself. Just don't let it knock your confidence.

Clients are often nervous, and will pick up on any nerves or anxiety on your part.
If the client feels that her hair isn't dry, then take it seriously. It's no good us all telling each other that clients are wrong, and we're all perfect.
You should have picked up her body language that she was uncomfortable, and behaved with total confidence to put her at ease. Learn from this, rather than dismiss it, and blame the client.

Thanks for the quick reply ! I do need to try and forget it and move on or it will make me think every client is worried about me touching their hair just because I am "new". This lady just made me feel really stupid and like I didn't know what I was doing. She just sort of confirmed my doubt in myself lol. I need to toughen up :)

Thanks persianista. I didn't pick up any bad vibes from her during the blowdry. From my perspective her hair was dry but if she had said she didn't feel it was it wouldn't have been a problem I just didn't expect her to pick up the dryer. Like you say it's probably a misunderstanding on my part. Thanks for the replies

When I was the junior in the salon I was just washing hair , sweeping the usual .
I then finished my training and was qualified .
I often helped the other stylists out setting , blow drying ect and clients did panic , I think because clients are so used to you being the junior , they do often become worried , wandering if we know what we are doing .
I found it very nerve wracking when I first finished training , i found and still do find have a chat with the client .
Not all clients are like this but there is always one or two where ever you go , when you start filling up your column and doing own clients people will see you know what you are doing , then when other stylists are on holiday or whatever they will probably be happy for you to do it .
As for doubting yourself , I did to start with I think it's normal , when you start to gain more experience you won't be nervous .
And you will learn so much on salon floor and from training .
But don't worry and good luck for future Xxx

Thanks so much for the advise. Like you say its probably a worry from the clients perspective too. As persianista said it was my fault for not picking up on her unease. My main lack of confidence has always been cutting I've never worried about blowdrying etc because I have always been asked to do it :) I think this client just frightened me a little bit and I've taken it too much to heart lol x

You will take things to heart your only human !
But we all learn new things every day , could you not go on any courses to build your confidence with cutting X

I am due to go on a cutting course next month lydia :) I'm really looking forward to it. I have been lucky in my salon with the help and guidence I have received from the stylists they are really willing to help and teach me and I think it is just a lack of experience x

Don't worry about it. If you know in your heart that you were in the right and she's told you something different or, at least, couldn't be constructive about her feedback then its her issue.

I agree with Persianista. You have to apply total confidence to everything you do, hairdressing is very personal and clients will immediately pick up on nervousness. Once they get any vibe that you are a little unsure of yourself they don't hold back. You may feel rubbish about this now but it is part of the learning curve. You have learnt from this, take it as experience, don't let it worry you and have confidence in your ability. Level 2 qualification gives you the foundation of skills to be a hairdresser but everything after is what shapes you into an average stylist or an amazing stylist. Level 2 is just the beginning, now the learning really starts. It's how you take these experiences and challenges and learn and grow from them. Confidence confidence and more confidence :)

Sorry if I waffled!

Thanks for the reply stephanie. Yes I also agree with that it makes sense and I also agree that the level 2 does not make me an amazing hairdresser I know I need experience and to learn and learn more :). I feel like it has made me more nervous tho :( especially as it was a blowdry and not something more complicated its something I have been asked to do numerous times. I wasn't nervous about it until she started to do her own hair and then said she wouldn't let me straighten it. I was polite and said it wasn't a problem and that my boss would straighten it. But I was kinda upset afterwards and it did make me wonder if I am ever going to be any good :(. Having said that on a possitive note all the clients I have done before have not had a problem with me finishing off for the stylist. So like you all say learn from it. Thank you

Latest posts

Back