Ex employee not returning uniform

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxon

Reaction score
Title explains it. An ex employee will not return my sms's or phone calls and letter asking her to bring back her work uniform.
It was purchased by the salon so it doesn't belong to her.
It's such a petty thing I don't know why she just won't reply or bring it back and I feel stupid taking it further but it's ridiculous.
What should I do?

How do you pay her? Can you hold back her final pay until she returns the uniform?

No unfortualy not plus I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do that

Ooh is it? Didn't think of that!!

Could you pop over to her house in a friendly manner, and just ask for it? As long as you are polite and civil I don't see an issue? If this doesn't work you might just have to give up and write it off.

Title explains it. An ex employee will not return my sms's or phone calls and letter asking her to bring back her work uniform.
It's such a petty thing I don't know why she just won't reply or bring it back and I feel stupid taking it further but it's ridiculous.
What should I do?

How long has it been? Did you leave on good terms?

I would not worry too much, This happened to me before I had no intention of keeping a dolly head I was just so busy with college and work. I would always say I would do it tomorrow eventually the boss just arranged to pop round and I gave it to him.

I would call leave a message non-threatening and either arrange to collect it or ask she post it to address.

If this fails I would personally either call her at her new job/ college but not sure if that would be seen as aggressive. If she really has not received the messages a kind reminder cannot really be seen as offensive tbh and I doubt she would tell others what she has done but at least you would know she has gotten the message.

If after that she refuses to give back the uniform it is theft and she should be careful as you could retract her reference, call the police, be taken to small claims court which is like £25 but if she loses she will have to pay fees and compensation. Especially if it was worded in a contract to return uniform.

What should I do?
Hi
I have had this happen a couple of times before and my thought process is this
Do I really want to spend time chasing an ex employee for a uniform giving them the satisfaction of annoying me or do I want to focus on making the business better ?
hope this helps

I think navada has a point. What are you going to do with said uniform if/when you get it back? Would you pass it to another existing or new employee? I don't think id want a hand me down. In the nicest possible way is it really worth the hassle of getting it back?

Hi
I have had this happen a couple of times before and my thought process is this
Do I really want to spend time chasing an ex employee for a uniform giving them the satisfaction of annoying me or do I want to focus on making the business better ?
hope this helps

I agree but it really depends on what sort of uniform it is? And why would a therapist keep it?

For example it may have a brand name on it which is famous within a geographic area. When working in hair I was given on loan a toni and guy uniform as was working with essensuals. if I had kept it I could have masquereded as a toni and guy 'trained or training' hairdresser when really I was just a sink washer.

If you have a small business or even a large one for that matter that is well known as a brand an ex-uniform can really damage a reputation or be used by another to profit from.
Uniforms can also range in price especially one piece ones I have seen many at trade shows that retail at over £100.

I think the OP needs to clarify what the uniform is like? Does it have her brand?

Why do you want it back anyway?

I assume it has the business name on it if she's asking for it back, I don't blame her she doesn't work there why should she have a uniform with the business name? I certainly wouldn't want someone parading around in my business uniform when they don't work for me, when you're wearing it you're representing the business.
Its just odd that she's ignoring you altogether.

Just forget it or you'll stress yourself out. She can't use either so do a Frozen.........Let it go! Let it go.

Latest posts

Back