Exhausted-stress or food intolerance?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hello geeks,

I'm feeling really exhausted at the moment, I don't know if it's normal though. I work 5 or 6 (sometimes 7) days a week, freelance and also a couple of days from a treatment room. I do mostly deep tissue massage, with a few other beauty bits and bobs. I don't know why but these days I've been feeling really 'burnt out', as soon as I wake up I feel drained. To the extent that I forget things quite a lot, ie forget to take my towels/equipment down to the car or whatever. And when I'm massaging, sometimes I actually feel like I could slump over my client and fall asleep...And I have to take really deep breaths to wake myself up :(

I've had a lot of late evening clients, with early starts the next day, with a lot of travelling in my car, and some personal stuff going on too. I just feel totally zapped of my energy and I'm starting to feel really irritable and tearful. I don't know if it's just stress, or if I'm trying to do too much...and if I wasn't stressed I would feel full of energy maybe.

My mum keeps pointing out that I'm only 25 and should feel full of energy, but I just don't, I feel the opposite. I wondered it if was actually maybe a food intolerance. I avoid stuff like baked potatoes because I know it makes me feel tired, but this feeling is constant. I try to eat healthily too.

I'm guessing that quite a lot of people feel like this, what did you do to curb it? Take time off, or exercise more, even if it means getting up at 6am to go to the gym? I'm taking vitamins but they don't really do anything. I just want to feel healthy and energetic :(

I'm open to any tips thanks x

This happened to me a while back, my doctor tested me for everything you can imagine and it all came back normal. My salon manager then caught me having a bit of a breakdown and cut some hours for my so I could have a bit more time off as I was working all hours. That did the trick! Now I never overwork myself for long periods of time, your health is more important xx

Hello, Thanks for relying :) I forgot to mention I went to the docs too, had a load of tests including thyroid but all was ok... I know it's my own fault because I book in clients on my day off if I can't book them in elsewhere in my diary... I really need to take those days off regularly. I need to learn to say no but it's hard x

It is hard but it doesn't hurt to say no to clients every once on a while, it will make them book in advance which will make it easier to plan your days off. I don't have set days off, what I do now I'm mobile is book people in wherever they want, the last day to be kept free is my day off and the clients have to just for in with that, but it means you don't have something like " I never work Mondays". I then only book people one after the other so I don't end up with big gaps in my day xx

I used to be like you guys and take the money where you can get it as we all have bills to pay. When you are self employed it scary and we get frightened that it might dry up. IT WON'T!!!!! You're busy because you're good.

You really must cut down somewhere and think about this logically.........if you're working that much, then you should be able to afford a cleaner or something to make your life easier. If you can't afford that, then you need to put your prices up and work less or change jobs.

Don't burn yourself out. xox

Funnily enough, me and my other half had this discussion the other day about getting a cleaner. It's a very good idea. I know that I'm worrying far too much, I really can't complain that I'm busy it's a good thing. I'm even managing to save money each month for a mortgage which is great. It's just the whole self employed thing, what I make each month can vary so like everyone else, you think ahead and take all the work you can. I guess sometimes it just feels like everything is getting out of control.

I had been thinking about basing myself somewhere full time. Just thought it would make life so much easier...So I asked three of my clients what the thought and they all said "no don't do that, you have a good reputation as a freelance massage therapist people like it because it's convenient"... So now I feel put off by the whole idea! These particular clients are ones I see every week or two weeks for massage, I earn a good regular income through them so I wouldn't want to lose them but I really am trying to think forward.

Anyway I'm totally digressing now- I apologise! Thanks for your input :) x

Set your hours and stick to them,

Pay someone to do your cleaning and ironing its very cheap.

Try and eat lots of foods containing iron drink loads of water

Latest posts

Back