Experienced Colour Technician help please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBaby

Reaction score
Hi lovely Geeks, It's going to sound a little vague but here goes...I'm doing a new client this week and haven't seen them yet (the usual text "can you hilite and cut my hair pls! I'm so & so's friend") haven't got her base colour yet as I'm going to see her tomorrow night for proper consultation. I've just qualified so I'm gaining more confidence with applying different tints together on a full head of foils but I want to be 100% or as close as can be before I advise which colours to have, she says up to now she's had blond with brown and caramel to break up the blond. I know you probably need to know her base colour first, but I just wondered which colours were referred to as caramels on colour chart (sounds silly but I'm still early days and want to get it spot on) I use Wella Koleston colour chart???? I'll be posting her base colour on here tomorrow night but if you have any ideas in the meantime that would be great....:) thanks in advance xxx

Kimmi 1101 is our resident wella expert. I don't use wella, so can only give generic advice.

Best thing to do is show HER the color chart and ask her what she means by "caramel"

Punters describe colours in some strange ways, I have heard golds described as "red", ashes as "warm brown" and any blonde that isnt white as "yellowy".

So be literal during your consultation and ask her to point to the colour she would decribe as brown/ caramel etc.

Hi I think this post could get many different replies as people interpret 'caramel' in different ways - some just think gold, a lot find their own mixes for 'caramel' and obviously depending aswell what brand you use, some have premixed tones for caramel colors. I personally would use a beige golden blonde with a little base in it - around a level 8 (but of course
depends what her hair is etc). And then For the brown, maybe a 6.3 or a nice warm level 6 or 7 to get a good tone and coverage over blonde.
Anyway hope that helps. X

I always use a colour ring ( from hair extensions) to show clients different colours as i find showing them the colour chart can be to much and you can then put a little of the chosen shade in the hair to confirm that they like it!!!
Oh and when you do her consultation take that opportunity to do a skin test even if your only doing hi-lights .I always do one on the first consultation as it's another drive out for you if they change their mind and want flooding in between their foils the night before your appointment!!

Latest posts

Back