Extending the FE with forms using gel.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question, but is there a specific way of extending the free edge when using gel??

I want to do NNO on myself later - but i still get a bit of lifting at the free edge.

I've read loads of posts and most people suggest to extend the FE slightly using forms.

Now i've never used forms with gel, so how exactly do i go about this.

I only want to use clear gel, so do i do zone 1 as you would with white gel, cure then proceed with zones 2&3?

When i trained with IBD initailly, we were told to apply the gel like nail polish from zone 3 for NNO's, but i'm not sure how that would work once i got to the FE?

Like i said i know it's a daft question, but if you don't know ask eh!!!

If I extend the free edge out with forms then I don't use a clear gel as it looks really odd, you need to do it like a pink and white overlay, and literally just extend your gel out over the form as much or as little as you want it.

Make sure you have the form snug under the nail or you will get it flooding underneath and nasty lumps forming! I tend to lock cure each nail as I have applied it (ie for 10 seconds) just to hold the gel in place, this is really important if your gel is quite a good self leveller, otherwise by the time you've done all of one hand it's spread everywhere and is a night mare to sort out.

Sassy Hassy said:
If I extend the free edge out with forms then I don't use a clear gel as it looks really odd, you need to do it like a pink and white overlay, and literally just extend your gel out over the form as much or as little as you want it.

Thanks Sass, i thought that might be the case - just couldn't seem to get my head round it.

Not sure how well i'm going to get on with white gel, forms and doing my 'other hand', but will give it a whirl.

Mind you i suppose an easier way for me to try would be to use clear gel in all zones, POW at FE then top coat - that would work wouldn't it??

I'm just crap at using POW, i can never seem to get it thin enough - keep practising i guess eh!

Actually hun that's how I prefer to do it as I hate the Brisa white sculpting gel with a vengeance!!! So I sculpt with clear if it's a repair, or a small amount to sculpt out such as you are doing (I do still use the white sculpt if it's a full set). Then I use the brush on white, and then finishing gloss. Don't worry you will get that white thinner with practice, try using a small amount to do you smile first and then gradually fill in the free edge with white with small amounts. Most people use too much to start with and it pools at the sides.

Sassy Hassy said:
Actually hun that's how I prefer to do it as I hate the Brisa white sculpting gel with a vengeance!!! So I sculpt with clear if it's a repair, or a small amount to sculpt out such as you are doing (I do still use the white sculpt if it's a full set). Then I use the brush on white, and then finishing gloss. Don't worry you will get that white thinner with practice, try using a small amount to do you smile first and then gradually fill in the free edge with white with small amounts. Most people use too much to start with and it pools at the sides.

That's exaclty what happend with me - that and the fact it looks patchy.

Thanks for the advice Sass, feel more confident about attempting it now.

:hug:

don't forget when you are not using a tip just a form when you take the form off you still need to cure under the free edge.

TMOUSE said:
don't forget when you are not using a tip just a form when you take the form off you still need to cure under the free edge.

oooh didn't know that - gosh never ending learning curve eh!

Cheers Hun, will do.

If you are using IBD use the white builder gel (ie not ultra white), its such a soft white I can usually use it to sculp repairs without it looking too far removed from the natural nail colour. Smile lines also look more natural and more forgiving so relieving the stress of getting them spot on.

Sculpt your free edge, cover with clear (much easier) or zone 2 with pink and string over clear to form an apex if you need to.

If you use clear forms you wont need to cure underneath.

emmad said:
If you use clear forms you wont need to cure underneath.

That might be worth an investment i think - saves a bit of extra time eh!!

Cheers Hun.

Latest posts

Back