Extension forum

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauranails

Reaction score
Is it just me our does anyone else think there should be a seperate forum for extension??
Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Yup as loads of people just do them and not hairdresser (and I'm sure there are loads that are ad well) nails have there own so I think they should too

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

most definitely!! I'll keep my reasons as to why. but I'd love a forum just for extensions x
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

this has been said so many times before ....
Extensions is part of hair i do extensions and on my 2nd year of training for hairdressing most of my posts are extension related but i read the hair ones too.
if you dont wanna read it then dont u can see in the title whats its about :D

The list of forums would be endless if we were to include separate ones for each aspect of the industry so for the time being at least, hair extension associated threads fall under The Hair Geek Forum category.

Where we have a problem is when someone has done a one day ext course, and is classed as a hair geek, or do you consider someone with one days training to be the same as me?

If it is beyond the remit of the forum to have separate forums, then can you have hair geek, and ext geek tick boxes please?

The vast majority of full hairdressers on here do not approve of office bods doing one day courses to "cash in" on our trade, and many of us purposely don't answer ext threads due to not knowing whether we are giving pro advice to what we consider "messers".

I understand that this can be an emotive subject for people who have spent a few hundred quid on a course and claim that they are hair pro's, but there needs to be a distinction between full qualified all round hairdressers, and the others.

At least that way all the ext only people can discuss cheap hair amongst themselves, and hairdressers wouldn't feel the need to butt in and tell them to do an NVQ.

i believe the law is going to change soon on this matter. i read somewhere a government body is trying to get it changed to hair extentionists having to be qualified up to level 3. you cant possibly no the structure of the hair after a days course.
i was well into my level 3 before i even considered taken furthur training to apply extensions.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

The reason for my post ..
Its seems people who are trained in just extensions think they are hair stylist cause they work with human hair and cut it but yes it is human hair and yes you apply the hair and cut it,but does not make u a hair stylist.My point is why do people who do a one day course think they are quailfied to apply extensions and cut hair its so frustrating as it takes 4yrs min to be a qualifed hair dresser.so how can people thay done one day courses r one month courses be qualified in extensions cause they is no way u can learn hair structure,hair diseases what styles suit certain face shape what colour suits a persons skin etc..Rant overo_O

Get a separate extension forum! Too many non pro's do extensions and I personally, who doesn't do extensions am sick of repeated posts about the same thing! Many beauty geeks do nails and there is a nail geeks page, so why is extensions included in hair?

And yes, most of us full hair pros disapprove of just extensionists. They don't deserve to be called a hair pro! Xoxo

I don't think there needs to be a separate forum, but I do strongly think that we need an extra classification for hair.

Hairdresser
Hair extensionist.

This will help weed out the non-hairdressing professionals from asking questions about colouring etc - which I'm guessing on a 1 day course isn't effectively covered.

As mentioned previously, beauty is classifed as nails, tanning, eyelashes. etc, which have been recognised as individual areas of expertise.

I can't see the issue for not adding a hair extensionist classification.

Just my two-penneth.

Thats my point to tommee..
Its annoying why people doing extensions can ask about colour etc.Gets on my goat.x

Thats my point to tommee..
Its annoying why people doing extensions can ask about colour etc.Gets on my goat.x

It gets on mine more that non hairdressers are accepted on the course's, the disasters iv had to fix by these 1 dayers "blending" the natural hair. They just don't consider when the extensions are out it looks horrendous! Xoxo

Im so glad a read this as I was really made to feel like a peace off **** on here the other day when a commented on an extension thread,

It was to do with (how do I get this colour look with extensions) and I said I wasn't trying to offend anyone but that's why I thinks you should start at the bottom with hair training ,i had 14 years hair experience before doing hair extensions as I believe it should be an advanced part of hairdressing :'(

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
I attended Salon International today and I spoke to one of the staff from Habia and she did say that they are taking the hair extension courses off for cpd and not putting any more hair extension courses on as feedback hasn't been good. They said the hair extension training varied too much and in the future if they do approve any hair extension courses the trainers have to be qualified in hairdressing and it will be a strict criteria and only from companies like Balmain etc. They have given me some information as they are running there own training programme for hair extensions

The main problem with all the extension threads is that the majority of them are about the exact same stuff. Practically all of them deal with hair quality, and it seems like some brands are elevated to near-godlike status (haha) when you can purchase the exact same hair they sell for a fraction of the price on aliexpress.com. And no, I am not joking. Ebay is being vilified, as in 'ebay hair is thin', as if ebay had anything to do with the quality of hair. I bought some hair off ebay vendors that many an extensionist would kill for. There are too many silly posts regarding delivery issues etc that make no sense to anyone not using these specific companies. In my opinion it is pretty pointless to discuss the quality of hair over and over again as most companies sell the same thing in different packages. Even really expensive hair is often sold as being something that it is not, but you only discover that later on, when it's too late! One London based company sells their hair as being European when it's actually Indian (investigations have confirmed this) and charges a lot for it. Really, hair quality posts are ultimately completely desultory. Application tricks, cutting, blending, advice to give to clients, dealing with clients who have alopecia (traction or androgenetic) are hardly ever discussed, although that is of essence in the application of hair extensions. Maybe there should be quality control in relation to extension topics rather than a separate forum.

Latest posts

Back