Extension or summerhouse?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can i ask those who do have sheds/summer houses, if they get hot in the summer and how do you deal with this?

As far as I am aware you still need planning the minute it has any heating installed, electric, gas or oil. Check with your council. (It is hardly temporary if it is insulated with heating, running hot and cold water and a toilet. You may be forced to apply for planning in retrospect which can be a nightmare if you are refused. )That is why conservatories seldom need planning permission because they do not have heating, they are not above the required height for permitted development and they are hardly ever bigger than the specified size.

I rarely go on this site because everytime you try and help someone there are always people quick to put their point across regardless of knowledge!
Of course my cabin is fully approved by the council and yes it is temporary as its wooden with no concrete footings so would not appear in the map of the house footings if we sell. Temporary meaning it will not last 100years like a brick building! My electrics have been approved and a safety certificate issued. Im not connected to the main sewerage, its a chemical toilet and sink waste goes to a tank we empty manually. Yes its insulated underneath the felt tiles roof but that is all as its 42mm tong & grove so keeps nice and cosy. My heating is a plug in radiator and that is sufficent enough to heat the cabin.
I have recently taken on an apprentice and had the college come out and do a health & safety check and check work permissions, insurance etc and yes it was all above board. And yes its below 2.7m in height to comply with regs.

Anyone that wants to know the details of where i got my cabin etc please email me direct as I wont be checking this thread again. [email protected] would love to help as much as I can:)

Please note all councils are different so please check your local area, a log cabin like mine will cause no issues in the planning department. Its the permissions to run a business that you need.

Thanks xx

I rarely go on this site because everytime you try and help someone there are always people quick to put their point across regardless of knowledge!
Of course my cabin is fully approved by the council and yes it is temporary as its wooden with no concrete footings so would not appear in the map of the house footings if we sell. Temporary meaning it will not last 100years like a brick building! My electrics have been approved and a safety certificate issued. Im not connected to the main sewerage, its a chemical toilet and sink waste goes to a tank we empty manually. Yes its insulated underneath the felt tiles roof but that is all as its 42mm tong & grove so keeps nice and cosy. My heating is a plug in radiator and that is sufficent enough to heat the cabin.
I have recently taken on an apprentice and had the college come out and do a health & safety check and check work permissions, insurance etc and yes it was all above board. And yes its below 2.7m in height to comply with regs.

Anyone that wants to know the details of where i got my cabin etc please email me direct as I wont be checking this thread again. [email protected] would love to help as much as I can:)

Please note all councils are different so please check your local area, a log cabin like mine will cause no issues in the planning department. Its the permissions to run a business that you need.

Thanks xx
No need to get the claws out....... All councils are different and in my area I am VERY clued up on planning issues as my full time job for years was a project mananger for a large building company, my husband is also a self employed builder who has Dyslexia so I do all his paperwork, including all planning applications and dealings with the architects. So knowledge certainly is not lacking where my local council is concerned!!!

The OP asked for opinions and we all stated ours, pardon me for sharing my knowledge gained from many years of dealing with councils from Cornwall right up to Norfolk ( Including various Summer House and Conservatory issues)

I am sorry you took such exception to my opinion on this matter

Last edited:
Tanfastic I was just saying full research had been done on my salon as you specifically aimed your reply to me so thought I'd clear up your query to sewerage, temporary building etc. Your direct email to me was completely unnecessary on this matter. I was trying to be helpful to the lady that posted.
Good luck with your future plans Becca xx

Tanfastic I was just saying full research had been done on my salon as you specifically aimed your reply to me so thought I'd clear up your query to sewerage, temporary building etc. Your direct email to me was completely unnecessary on this matter. I was trying to be helpful to the lady that posted.
Good luck with your future plans Becca xx

I direct mailed you because you stated that you would not visit this thread again, My comment was never meant as a personal attack, your thread just raised some matters that I wished to comment on. Please try not to be so super sensitive, as I already stated we are all just airing opinions and commenting on our own experiences. Nothing personal or bitchy implied, I am sorry that you took my comments so personally.

Becca, this just shows that planning must vary and can from area to area so you really do need to do some research, hope you get a lovely extension or summer house

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back