Extensions at side of head

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexica1

Reaction score
Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice regarding placement of extensions at the sides of clients head.

I feel my sections at the back are spot on but once I reach level with my clients ears, I start losing confidence.
I've basically been continuing the back line round towards the front but once I'm above the ear I'm either splitting the bond if using nail tips or place one miss one for nanos. By the time I've left a decent amount of hair extension free round the hair line, I'm finding not very much room is left.

Also I'm unsure if my technique of just continuing with the back rows round to the front is correct or if I should be doing the sides separately.

Then I've heard some people mention they angle the extensions at the sides? So now I'm confused.

When I stand back and look I'm happy with the back but feel my side placements are letting me down.

Can anyone offer and advice?

I do the sides separately and in rows as I do at the back

I'm the same, do them differently to the back. For me sides as so easy and I prefer them tbh lol I tend to do them on a slight slant going down as i find it layers so much more naturally, depending on hair though.
I have a client who has very fine hair + a small head, so sides arnt easiest but I just make sure I build as much as I can up with what hair I have + then taper sides when cutting helps. I also build behind ear/back of sides up as that's where you need most thickness compared to front, as front you can feather/blend extensions easiest. X

I don't want to be harsh but this is pretty basic. Didn't you get a manual from the company you trained with? Perhaps you should contact them for advice since you've presumably parted with money to train with them.

I don't want to be harsh but this is pretty basic. Didn't you get a manual from the company you trained with? Perhaps you should contact them for advice since you've presumably parted with money to train with them.

Yes I suppose to someone with a fair bit of experience my question may sound basic. I did get a manual but the info on side placements was basically "pack them in".
I think I'm doing quite well for a beginner but I asked because I want to be better. And who else to ask for advice but experienced techs?

We all have to start somewhere

Please don't be defensive or take my reply personally. It's a credit to you that you want to do the best you can but the point I'm making is that there is clearly a gap in your education that the people who trained you should be filling, that is what you paid them for.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to be defensive. It just means a lot to me to be really good at this. At the time I thought I was quite happy with my training but as I've give along with my models I've realised the theory I was given doesn't really match up when applying in reality. If that makes sense.
I've contacted the training provider and to be honest they haven't been all that helpful. I explained my issue with side placements and the answers were "just do the same at the sides as you would do at the back" and "you'll find your own way just keep practising

I just wondered if anyone could give me any tips.
I've realised since completing the course that some of what I was taught is actually totally incorrect and because of this I've lost confidence.

Latest posts

Back