Extensions, Sulphate and Options Ltd

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceecee71

Reaction score
I've noticed the ingredients list on Options extensions shampoo has Sodium Laureth Sulphate as the second ingredient. This is the foaming agent used in pretty much everything that foams. So Options is not sulphate free. Surely if we are all telling our clients that sulphates are a problem for extensions then selling them Options is contrary to our own advice??! Also, if Options is working well on our extensions clients then sulphates are not the problem ingredient? Anyone know what the actual problem ingredient(s) are?

I think the amount of sulphate is so small that it does not effect the extensions.

I think the amount of sulphate is so small that it does not effect the extensions.

But it's listed as the second largest ingredient after water. That's the same as most shampoo?

I've been wondering the same thing....
If anybody know this, or finds out then please share.

Is it definitely sodium laureth sulphate? Not sodium lauryl sulphate?

It's listed as Laureth but I think they are the same thing. Just different names for the same ingredient.

It's listed as Laureth but I think they are the same thing. Just different names for the same ingredient.

The s laureth is obained by adding ethylene oxide to the s lauryl in order to make it less irritant.

I don't see why extensions need any cleansing agents anyway, it's enough to just wash and condition them.

Very often there are ingredients in shampoos that claim to be sulfate free which, once they come into contact with water, split right down to form SLS/SLES. I've never used Options so can't say anything about them specifically.

Yeah that's kind of what I mean. Whatever type of sulphate, I was told that sulphates are the things that will cause the bonds to soften. So it's not so much about the extension hair as the bonds breaking down. Therefore I'd still like to know what the ingredient/s is/are that causes this?
Years ago I used a spray in heat protector that dissolved my I tips - no SLS in that as it didn't need to foam. But I have no idea where this idea that sulphates are the issue came from or what the real issue is??

Yeah that's kind of what I mean. Whatever type of sulphate, I was told that sulphates are the things that will cause the bonds to soften. So it's not so much about the extension hair as the bonds breaking down. Therefore I'd still like to know what the ingredient/s is/are that causes this?
Years ago I used a spray in heat protector that dissolved my I tips - no SLS in that as it didn't need to foam. But I have no idea where this idea that sulphates are the issue came from or what the real issue is??

Sulphates cause the hair to dry out quicker as most Sulphates are in products to remove oils/ grease etc and as the extensions can't produce there own oils they become dryer quicker ( I think ) x

Latest posts

Back