Extremely large pores and oily skin - Roaccutane?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzyxoxo

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So basically, I have extremely large pores on my nose. They've been like this for years! I have tried so many different products with no luck. My nose gets so oily, a slick of oil all the time. I wash my face twice a day, I always take my makeup off, I really look after my skin and have invested in products like clarasonic to help. I do get acne quite a bit, but just usally the odd pimple rather than covered in acne, however when I get a spot, it's normally a huge spot rather than just a tiny pimple. I could deal with that, if it wasn't for my oily nose with large pores - I sometimes get cysts and I have been to a dermatologist who advised that the cysts are caused from the oil, and the only way to prevent the cysts are to go on roaccutane as this shrinks the oil glands.

My dermatologist said they won't prescribe me roaccutuane on the NHS as my skin isn't bad enough for it, but that it is the only way to prevent the cysts (which happen about two or three times a year).

Does anyone have any advice? I would happily go on the roaccutane but I can't afford it privately and my derma said they won't give it to me as there's specific guidelines. I feel so conscious of how bad my pores look and have been this way for years, I am so fed up :(

Thanks and sorry for the ramble! xx

Hi Lizzy.. I'm so sorry you feel that way- I do feel your pain!
I've had acne for years since I was in my early teens, although it has settled a lot it's still never ever clear.
I was on roaccutane for 1-1.5 years and can honestly say I would never go back on it again and personally wouldn't advise it. I suffered from migraines, double vision, dry cracked and sore skin and lips too. I would much sooner put up with the Acne.
Having said that it really did clear up my skin but not too long after I came off it the acne started to return.
The thing that really cleared up my skin was when I was living in Australia and was out in fresh air a lot and with the heat was drinking loads of water and a good diet. So a combination of things.
Have you tried tetralysal tablets?

What's your skincare regime?
What products do you use?
What make up do you use?

A lot can be fine to improve the appearance of the skin but roaccutane seems excessive.

Vic x

Hi everyone!

So basically, I have extremely large pores on my nose. They've been like this for years! I have tried so many different products with no luck. My nose gets so oily, a slick of oil all the time. I wash my face twice a day, I always take my makeup off, I really look after my skin and have invested in products like clarasonic to help. I do get acne quite a bit, but just usally the odd pimple rather than covered in acne, however when I get a spot, it's normally a huge spot rather than just a tiny pimple. I could deal with that, if it wasn't for my oily nose with large pores - I sometimes get cysts and I have been to a dermatologist who advised that the cysts are caused from the oil, and the only way to prevent the cysts are to go on roaccutane as this shrinks the oil glands.

My dermatologist said they won't prescribe me roaccutuane on the NHS as my skin isn't bad enough for it, but that it is the only way to prevent the cysts (which happen about two or three times a year).

Does anyone have any advice? I would happily go on the roaccutane but I can't afford it privately and my derma said they won't give it to me as there's specific guidelines. I feel so conscious of how bad my pores look and have been this way for years, I am so fed up :(

Thanks and sorry for the ramble! xx

I'm sure they're not that bad, and if your derm didn't want to prescribe it then that's proof too. When you say it happens a few times a year, does it happen when the seasons change? My skin has always been greasy, you just need to be very gentle with it. If you could explain a bit more about your breakouts, your skincare routine that'd help.

I had the same problem growing up, I'll be 22 soon and I still get the odd flare up (due to stress) but I can safely say I'm glad I never went on that horrid medication a few friends of mine were on it and it was awful! My doctor suggested after trying lots of pills and antibiotics I try the contraceptive implant to see if this would help to balance my hormone and hopefully my skin. It worked [emoji5]️ along with the right skin care too, I use a lot of the Decleor products and my go to product was Prolagene Gel as it helped to reduce my acne scarring! xxx

Hi Lizzy.. I'm so sorry you feel that way- I do feel your pain!
I've had acne for years since I was in my early teens, although it has settled a lot it's still never ever clear.
I was on roaccutane for 1-1.5 years and can honestly say I would never go back on it again and personally wouldn't advise it. I suffered from migraines, double vision, dry cracked and sore skin and lips too. I would much sooner put up with the Acne.
Having said that it really did clear up my skin but not too long after I came off it the acne started to return.
The thing that really cleared up my skin was when I was living in Australia and was out in fresh air a lot and with the heat was drinking loads of water and a good diet. So a combination of things.
Have you tried tetralysal tablets?

Thank you so much for your reply and for the advice. I'm sorry that your acne returned after too :(! I have't tried tetralysal before, and whilst it really improved my skin, as soon as i stopped taking it, my acne came back :-(

What's your skincare regime?
What products do you use?
What make up do you use?

A lot can be fine to improve the appearance of the skin but roaccutane seems excessive.

Vic x
Hi Vic, I wash my face morning and night using mainly Clarins products, I have their face wash and cleanser. I use a clinique moisturiser once a day (in the morning after i've washed my face, before I apply any makeup). I don't wear foundation every day, only at weekends when I'm going out, but when I do wear foundation I wear either Nars or Dior, I look for ones that say non comedogenic and oil free.
Then I'll use a cleansing balm or the clarins face wash with the clarasonic brush to take off my makeup at night

I'm sure they're not that bad, and if your derm didn't want to prescribe it then that's proof too. When you say it happens a few times a year, does it happen when the seasons change? My skin has always been greasy, you just need to be very gentle with it. If you could explain a bit more about your breakouts, your skincare routine that'd help.

My dermatologist wouldn't give it to me as on the day I saw him, my skin wasn't so bad (for once), though a week later I had a flare up :-( I've replied to Vic above with my skincare routine, I'll wash my face every day, morning and night with a clarins face wash and I use the clarasonic brush every other day. I have tried other high end brand products as well as other drugstore products like st ives. my breakouts are quite random, I get normal acne all the time several times a month, but its usually normal pimples that are quite large. Then about twice a year at random times, I'll get cystic acne which is so painful and takes ages to go!

My main concern is the cystic acne and the size of my pores, which are so large and oily

You need to stop everything you're doing to and putting on your face, that's way too much exfoliating you're doing and the sonic brush needs to go in the bin! Try this for a few weeks: Only wash your face with a very small amount of cleanser, literally only enough to slightly foam. No moisturiser except around the edges of the lips and around the eyes. No makeup apart from eye, lips and face powder. You should see an improvement within a few days, and then I would go and see a beauty therapist to see what they can do to calm down your skin. Your pores will be less obvious because they are inflamed at the moment. And I would be very wary of moisturisers when you have sensitive skin, you have to find one that doesn't lead to any breakouts.

Roaccutane is hardcore and comes with risks re mental health. I wouldn't touch it. If you've not got much acne you may be suitable for another prescription acne drug. For instance dianette is prescribed as a pill but also for acne. Perhaps something like this could be an option. If one gp isn't supportive of your upset about your skin, see another.

From experience, it is my belief that even with an excellent skin care routine, in practice it can take a bit more (in the form of gp prescription) to give acne etc the help it needs.

You need to stop everything you're doing to and putting on your face, that's way too much exfoliating you're doing and the sonic brush needs to go in the bin! Try this for a few weeks: Only wash your face with a very small amount of cleanser, literally only enough to slightly foam. No moisturiser except around the edges of the lips and around the eyes. No makeup apart from eye, lips and face powder. You should see an improvement within a few days, and then I would go and see a beauty therapist to see what they can do to calm down your skin. Your pores will be less obvious because they are inflamed at the moment. And I would be very wary of moisturisers when you have sensitive skin, you have to find one that doesn't lead to any breakouts.

Thanks for your reply. I don't use the clarasonic every day, I normally use it every other day (as that's what was recommended). Is that too much? I only wear foundation on weekends and I keep my skin clear during the week. I have been to beauty therapists before who have tried to sell me loads of products e.g. Environ and then I try it and my skin looks exactly the same

Roaccutane is hardcore and comes with risks re mental health. I wouldn't touch it. If you've not got much acne you may be suitable for another prescription acne drug. For instance dianette is prescribed as a pill but also for acne. Perhaps something like this could be an option. If one gp isn't supportive of your upset about your skin, see another.

From experience, it is my belief that even with an excellent skin care routine, in practice it can take a bit more (in the form of gp prescription) to give acne etc the help it needs.

The pill is definitely something I will have to look into, thank you!

Definitely see your gp. With respect to this industry, I think it's important to see someone who is wholly impartial (financially) about whether you leave with a particular treatment or not.

That's the thing, you need to find a proper therapist who doesn't have a range to push, there are plenty of them. Even if you don't want to go, I really do recommend you follow the steps I described. You have to remember that your current skin condition is the result of what you've been doing for the past few months (that's how long it takes for skin cells to die off and shed). These devices are really no good, they are only worth using once every month at most. And please avoid all foundation until you have no spots at all, try mineral foundation powder or as I mentioned just normal powder.

laurakate I have to disagree somewhat, dianette has been banned in several countries and is rarely prescribed here any more. If you read the latest dermatology journals you'll see that doctors are rapidly realising that they don't have much to offer for acne other than extreme treatments like retin a and roaccutane, which as you mention is too severe. The pill helps for some, but I would say it's a last resort and still not particularly great.

I thought i would sit on my response for a little while before i replied to see what others have said.

I would personally use medication as a last resort so assist with acne, not because i dont believe it works but because i dont think we should be putting medicine into us unless it truly is needed. So i would advise to only go down that route as a final option and right now i think you still have options available.

First off i would agree to dump the clarisonic, sonic technology is great for your teeth to really clean deep down but with skin that already has impactions and sensitivity its not going to help as its going to keep disrupting your skin in the deeper layers and not allowing your skin to clear what is going on in the surface.

As for products, dump the clarins its not going to do anything for you. You should look into more cosmecuitcal range such as Medik8 which is aimed at sensitive skin but also gives great results. (My holy grail mosituriser is their hydra8 360 spf 15) glo therapuetics is another amazing range, you could use both the purifying and acne clear ranges and get great results. I know you have said you have tried environ and whilst i havent i have heard great things.

You need to give whatever range you try time. Min 8 to 12 weeks to see if there is any improvement. Clarins isnt really going to cut it for the results you are looking for.

You could also look into accumax by advanced nutrition, again havent used it but heard great things and seen great results. Its not just about what you put on your skin but what goes into your body so try to ensure youre getting all the vitamins and minerals you need.

If you are also not already doing it you need monthly facials to really help work deeper into the skin and clear it out. Look for facials that are going to give you a peel such as salicylic acid and laser may be suitable for you. Also you could if you can find somewhere that offers it, have light therapy as an add on to your facials. I would avoid anything that is remotely physical in removing skin such as microdermabrasion as that is going to make your issues worse. This also applies when exfoliating at home, only use an enzyme exfoliator such as elemis papya enzyme which is amazing.

As for make up you should be ok to continue to use what you currently are but dont later it on, the less the better and wash your make up brushes minimum weekly. Just as a side note the amount of make up brushes that i have seen recently that are so dirty im surprised that they had not grown legs and walked their way to be washed! Gross! Also as a note on make up brushes make sure you are using synthetic brushes and not natural hair as bacteria remains in the natural hair as where you can anti bac the synthetic brushes with a good anti bac wash. Also if you do use sponges for make up application try to use them to press in powder only as again you cant wash them completely like you can do with brushes.

I last took dianette in 2010. Having read more about it in terms of recent discoveries I don't think it would be my medicine of choice now! An antibiotic based acne medicine might be a better choice but again definitely speak to your gp.

If you're lucky you may find a salon that will guarantee results.

Most doctors don't know much about skin. The clues is in their title of general practitioner. My clients son has had 9 months of antibiotics which have made no difference whatsoever. Imagine giving skincare 9 months!

I would pack in the clarisonic completely. If you're using a good cleanser this is completely superfluous to requirements.

I retail environ which contains vitamin a which helps normalise the skin. Used in conjunction with the skin supplement, Accumax and Jane Iredale mineral cosmetics, we get amazing results.

You need to cleanse your skin, not strip it. You need to maintain a nice healthy acid mantle that will help prevent breakouts but what your doing is excessive. I'd also stop using anything made by clinique as I've yet to see a clinique user with good skin. Clarins are expensive and smell lovely but your skin doesn't really care how they smell and they're clearly not working.

Find yourself an environ salon, get a full skin analysis done - this should be free - and ask if they'll guarantee results.

Good luck

Vic x

Thank you all so much for the advice
I will definitely take your comments on board. I will stop using the clarasonic and stop exfoliating so much!
I will also pay another visit to my GP as he is a sympathetic GP

Please don't forget to come back in a month and say what happened :cool:

Thank you all so much for the advice
I will definitely take your comments on board. I will stop using the clarasonic and stop exfoliating so much!
I will also pay another visit to my GP as he is a sympathetic GP

Where abouts are you?
As advised above find a local Environ Salon who will offer you a detailed Skin Analysis. Environ vitamin A skincare & skin accumax supplements together work miracles. (Look at online before and afters)
Good luck x

Latest posts

Back