Eyelash tinting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa198430

Reaction score
Hi just wondered if there is any way to make the shield any more comfortable when placed under the eyes? I can't seem to get it close enough to the lashes without it being uncomfortable?
Also what's the best way to tint the lower lashes? With the brush before putting the shield on? Or through the top lashes when applying the tint to them?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi just wondered if there is any way to make the shield any more comfortable when placed under the eyes? I can't seem to get it close enough to the lashes without it being uncomfortable?
Also what's the best way to tint the lower lashes? With the brush before putting the shield on? Or through the top lashes when applying the tint to them?

Thanks in advance :)
I use damp cotton pads instead of shields. I bought some shields but couldn't make them work, like you I found them super uncomfortable!

I find that the lower lashes get tinted just fine when I do the top. The shield/pad should be placed underneath the lower lashes.

I use damp cotton pads instead of shields. I bought some shields but couldn't make them work, like you I found them super uncomfortable!

I find that the lower lashes get tinted just fine when I do the top. The shield/pad should be placed underneath the lower lashes.
That's a really good idea,never thought of that!
Do you apply damp cotton pads over the eyes while they are developing as normal?

That's a really good idea,never thought of that!
Do you apply damp cotton pads over the eyes while they are developing as normal?
Personally no I don't, but I remember a thread here recently and most geeks say they do.

(I probably only would if I had a client that was struggling with keeping their eyes closed.)

Hi I have been doing them for 13 years with cotton wool disks cut in half and place under the eyes I tint the bottom lashes with the client looking right back and use a tint brush to catch the bottom lashes that way every lash is coated and then get the client to close tint the top lashes and any bits missed in the bottom gets done to then put dry cotton wool disk on top to help the tint develop and the clients eyes closed! Never had a problem and never had any get in the eyes either. [emoji2] hope this helps x

I apply petroleum jelly under the eye where the shields go and wet the shields. I also apply petroleum jelly on the top lash line. Doing it this way I find they move around easier and fit the shape of the eye a lot better. I find the cotton pads too bulky and uncomfortable. I apply tint to the bottom lashes first (eyes closed) then apply it to the top lashes.

Last edited:
It will also depend upon the quality of the shields. I used to use damp cotton wool but use shields now. I apply a small amount of petroleum jelly to one side of each shield & also under each eye before placing the shield. I also apply a small amount of petroleum jelly on the top lid before tinting. I tint lower lashes separately unless the client has trouble keeping her eyes open in which case I tint top/bottom together with clients eyes closed. x

You can always trim the shields to make them fit the shape of the eye better. I was taught this when I did my tinting training with Nouveau. I also dampen them slightly and put petroleum jelly underneath to help keep them in place.

I add petroleum jelly too and I probably should've specified that I split the cotton pads in two so that they are nice and thin.

Thanks for your replays everyone...I did my tint this evening on my client however although I applied vadolone above her top lashes and beneath her bottom I couldn't get rid of all the tint around the eye area! I've never had a problem with this before so was a bit embarrassing..only thing I can think of was she is a mature lady so did find it more difficult to apply due to the wrinkles..any tips please??

What is vadolone? Is it petroleum jelly? Petroleum jelly acts as a barrier so if tint gets on the skin, its just sitting on the petroleum jelly. Once you have finished applying the tint to the lashes, get a cotton bud and gently remove the tint from the skin. As for older clients it shouldnt be any different, you're applying to the lashes, theres no wrinkles on their lashes or are you talking about eyebrows? If its the brows then just gently stretch the skin to make it taught.

Sorry my phone put that was meant to say vasoline! Yes that's why I'm surprised tint still got around her eyes as I applied the vasoline on the skin.
I just found it more difficult as some of the skin was sagging under her eyebrow going over some of her eyelashes if that makes sense?

Sorry my phone put that was meant to say vasoline! Yes that's why I'm surprised tint still got around her eyes as I applied the vasoline on the skin.
I just found it more difficult as some of the skin was sagging under her eyebrow going over some of her eyelashes if that makes sense?
As you apply the Vaseline along the lower/upper lid line lift the 'excess' skin away, but check when you release the skin that the tint won't migrate towards the excess as if it does it will be best to cover this area with Vaseline too-I use lots of Vaseline on my mature clients! Try and keep the client from talking smiling, moving as those pads have a habit of moving!

Latest posts

Back