Fabric# Conversion, Hygiene, Extractors!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Morning guys :D

Afraid I've got a couple more questions :oops:

Firstly, I was hoping to go on the foundation course for Fabric# with Creative but I've been told that they won't be doing it til way into next year so I will have to first go on the foundation course in L&P. :( I'm a bit disapointed as I thought that Fabric# would be the easiest system to master. But I can do the conversion course in Fabric# later. - actually how long after the L&P course can you do the Fabric# conversion :?: :?:

My query is, as there are a certain amount of vapours and dust from using L&P will it be ok and hygienic to do people's nails in my own home considering that initially I won't have an extractor on my little tiny table and I will be working in my living room which is open plan with the kitchen :?: :?:

I've read the posts on controlling the vapours and I can put those suggestions into use. But I need a bit more advice

Also can you get little portable extractors? :?: Or if not how much would one be to put in my table (although I don't know if it is big enough as its only a little square one), and if so where can I get one from?

Finally how long can I realistically expect to start working on people with L&P considering its difficult to master? And how much should I charge as a newbie? I had thought instead advertising myself at a lower price, that I could offer 20% discount for 2/3 months to show that the prices will go up once I've got some experience. Is this a good idea or can anyone offer any suggestions?

Right! I think thats it....... :rofl:

Tamm

Hi Tamm,

Sorry you couldn't do Fabric# until a later date, but you know learning with the system that's hardest to master (for some) makes everything else look easy!!

How long before you are ready to work on the public?? That Q is impossible to answer as we have no idea how much natural ability you posses! You will know when you feel comfortable with your application and ready and informed enough to answer the questions you will get asked.

As far as vapours go, make sure you follow the guidelines that will keep them to a minimum, and make sure that you have fresh air coming into the room so that an exchange of air can take place. Make sure you create a professional atmosphere in your home in the area in which you are going to work. It is perfectly acceptable to work from home and many of us (including I myself) have started out this way.

Save your money on the small portable extractor thing, it wont be effective.

Finally, L&P is only difficult for some people to master ... Others have a natural ability and do wonderful work quite quickly. No one can tell you at this stage which category you will fall into. Take my advice and do not use the word discount. "Special opening offer" OK but not Discount.

geeg said:
.....Save your money on the small portable extractor thing, it wont be effective.

I work from home and I have a Fuminator on my desk - it has made some difference in the smell in the house and also you can see how much dust it pulls in by the filters.

However, I am not a high volume user - I don't very often have back to back customers :( so the volume of vapours is not very high.

When I have my new desk made hubby is putting an expelair thing in the top

Thanks ever so Geeg :thumbsup: As ever you offer sound advice thats realistic, practical and optomisitc. :D

I am a little aprehensive about the L&P course but my hubbie seems to think that I'm up to the challenge and that it would definately be the sort of thing I would be good at. I'm not so sure but am quite excited. The thought of creating loooovely nails just makes me want to give it my bestest shot :D

Sorry you couldn't do Fabric# until a later date, but you know learning with the system that's hardest to master (for some) makes everything else look easy!!

I agree with you there. I'm a jump in the deep end type of girl so maybe this will be better for me in the long run even though it may seem overwhelming to start with eh! Besides I can do the Fabric# conversion course afterwards as my next project!!

The professional image is important too I'm looking into how I can give this impression from home. Any ideas?

When I'm more established then I will invest in a proper nail table with inbuilt extractor but in the mean time I will follow advice about ventilation and take it from there, although I would be interested to know more about this fuminator of yours Fiona!

Any way thanks for the advice :salute: much appreciated.

Tamm ;)

Hi Tamm

When I opened my nail area within an existing shop, I worried endlessly about the vapour - especially as I am in a listed building, with very low ceilings. :(

I checked prices and descriptions of many extractor units, and eventually bought a cheap Window extract fan from Wickes for £29.99. It has been perfectly adequate for my needs and the smells are negligible! So just saying you dont have to pay a fortune for extraction units. This had a good volume of air extraction for the price :!:

It was easy to fit, took myhubby a couple of hours to cut the glass and do - so might help you out - it works well on the dust too (the plant underneath is covered with particles grabbed by it!!!!!).

I have done Acrylic FDFC - my advice is get as many "live models" as you can, I did a number of people at cost to see how the nails worked with them, and how to adjust my working practices. They are still coming back and I charge them a nominal amount for rebalances in order that I can experiment with them - they seem happy and I am learning on real customers without great expectation ;) Also the hand trainer is brilliant - you will spend hours with yours :shock:

Good luck
Lesleyxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back