Facebook pages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bavers

Reaction score
Hi peeps of Geek world.

I really need help. I'm a new business of only 3 months and have built up a really strong profile on social media. The problem is that my competition is now copying everything I do on Facebook. It's really bad business sense from their point of view as they seem to be chasing me rather than concentrating on their own salons. I have found a way of blocking them from my page but this doesn't stop them seeing everything I post. Does anyone have any ideas of stopping them viewing my page or had a similar experience??

Yes I found the same.
Likewise I blocked the few salon owners who had liked my page. I know they can still view the page but why make it easy for them!
Equally I check out the FB pages of my local competitors so fair's fair.
I try to view it as a way we all keep our prices up around the same level.

On another point, if I know what brand of gel the other salons are using, when their clients come to me I know how to remove them!

Don't stress about it, it's flattery at your marketing ideas
[emoji3]

Absolutely flattery, they can't come up with their own ideas so they knee jerk reaction to mine. My issue is I ran an eye lash extension offer on Facebook and they undercut me by £1 the same week. I did a competition for microdermabrasion prize, they ran a comp for microdermabrasion. I've made some videos, they've just done a video. I've done a facial and massage offer for Valentines ..... and so on. It's tiring more than anything. I'm original with my posts, and they've pretty much copied everything. Frustrating ...

Is there any treatment you do that the competitors don't? Perhaps you could focus on promoting these?

How frustrating! But also really flattering, they obviously see you as serious competition. Realistically though there's nothing you can do.

The thing is, when choosing where to go for a treatment, for most people £1 cheaper is neither here nor there. I'd personally choose a nicer salon, using quality products with a therapist that I find personable and easy to talk to.

Clients aren't stupid, if they watch both your pages they can see who posted first. I have clients message me occasionally to tell me that another local salon has nicked one of my pictures or posted an identical post a day or two after me, I find it quite funny that these well established places are worried about little old me [emoji51].

Your business has one thing theirs doesn't - you.

Is there any treatment you do that the competitors don't? Perhaps you could focus on promoting these?

I'm primarily a waxing studio so the easy answer is no. Ironically they do more than me but are focusing on my treatments which I find hilarious as they are letting premium services slip through the net whilst concentrating on waxing, microdermabrasion, etc.

Hi
Hi peeps of Geek world.

I really need help. I'm a new business of only 3 months and have built up a really strong profile on social media. The problem is that my competition is now copying everything I do on Facebook. It's really bad business sense from their point of view as they seem to be chasing me rather than concentrating on their own salons. I have found a way of blocking them from my page but this doesn't stop them seeing everything I post. Does anyone have any ideas of stopping them viewing my page or had a similar experience??

Hi Bavers,

Copying is pretty common in social media, unfortunately. Most people just aren't very creative.

That said, don't make the mistake of now focusing on what they're doing (copying you). Ray Kroc, the guy joined the McDonald brothers to build McDonald's into a global powerhouse (not my favorite company but the example is worth mentioning) also noticed his competitors copying McDonald's. He said:

"The competition can try to steal my plans and copy my style. But they can’t read my mind; so I’ll leave them a mile and a half behind."

So keep running your own race. Be good at what you're good at. And keep getting better.

Also, collect as many testimonials from happy customers as you can. Sure helps to have other people singing your praises.

How helpful was this? Would be great to know.

Sunni

Last edited:
Hi

Hi Bavers,

Copying is pretty common in social media, unfortunately. Most people just aren't very creative.

That said, don't make the mistake of now focusing on what they're doing (copying you). Ray Kroc, the guy joined the McDonald brothers to build McDonald's into a global powerhouse (not my favorite company but the example is worth mentioning) also noticed his competitors copying McDonald's. He said:

"The competition can try to steal my plans and copy my style. But they can’t read my mind; so I’ll leave them a mile and a half behind."

So keep running your own race. Be good at what you're good at. And keep getting better.

Also, collect as many testimonials from happy customers as you can. Sure helps to have other people singing your praises.

How helpful was this? Would be great to know.

Sunni

Thanks Sunni,

Your words make huge sense and in the cold light of day (I wrote this post after a particularly quiet, frustrating one) I do realise that it's a compliment and not good business sense on their part.
On the plus side, I have kept up a thorough marketing campaign and the rewards are really starting to creep in. We've had an amazing week this week and nearly every new client has commented on the difference in our service to other salons.
Like you said, I'm always 2 steps ahead in my marketing and social media so I do look original.

The future looks bright

Thanks Sunni,

Your words make huge sense and in the cold light of day (I wrote this post after a particularly quiet, frustrating one) I do realise that it's a compliment and not good business sense on their part.
On the plus side, I have kept up a thorough marketing campaign and the rewards are really starting to creep in. We've had an amazing week this week and nearly every new client has commented on the difference in our service to other salons.
Like you said, I'm always 2 steps ahead in my marketing and social media so I do look original.

The future looks bright

That's awesome! Congrats.

Since everything goes in cycles, take advantage of this wave in whatever ways make sense for you (saving some extra money, expanding on what customers say you do well, getting testimonials, etc.)

Quick note on that last one: For getting testimonials, I've found it pretty unproductive to ask for them outright. Instead, I ask people a handful of feedback questions and then take parts of their responses to craft into a testimonial which they can then approve. Most people freeze up when asked for a testimonial or they just write something really general that gives you a pat on the back yet doesn't tell someone who's considering coming in anything specific / meaningful.

Latest posts

Back