Facebook reviews, low rating trolls?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one point the Facebook mobile app was annoying. It was very, very easy to rate a business without meaning too by simply scrolling and accidentally touching the rating system.

I wouldn't be bothered by the ratings, in fact, I have three low ratings on my page from people who I've never seen in 5years of being in business. When Facebook changed and I was able to see the individual ratings, I just asked for clients to leave more good reviews and it brought my rating back up.

I would just leave it and not bother. Besides you could stir up some trouble by contacting them. Meaning, they might be bothered by it and leave another review about "the crazy spa owner" :p

Personally I would not contact anyone who gave me a bad review because you could be opening a can of worms for yourself and encourage them to write a new review saying whatever they like. Remember it is very easy for people to make negative, damaging comments when sat behind their computer and in most cases I am sure it's just in the heat of the moment! So I would just try and forget about it I can understand why your annoyed we all would be, it's hard when it's something your passionate about and it feels personal to you but it's not and as people have said it could have been an accident xx

I had one once from my mean neighbours friend who also had never been a client and was clearly trolling. I addressed it publicly and it's true what they say any publicity is good publicity!
I had over 600 people liking and reading the replies and got at least 10 new bookings!
Go ahead!
I then blocked her, the review remains but blocking stops that profile doing anymore trolling on your page :)

A while ago someone left a low review for me on fb.
I decided to do a facebook status, as it didn't show me who had left it.
I basically said, that I'm disappointed that I have had clients leave unhappy and if any clients weren't completely satisfied to let me know as soon as possible and I would do my upmost to ensure they were entirely happy.
I pretty hastily had all 5 stars again and had LOTS of clients leave comments about how they were always satisfied etc etc

When you leave a review on a fb page the star rating can be altered at anytime along with your review. There are loads of trolls on FB - they clearly lead super boring lives! Wether it's your competition or just another fool take no notice, that's why they do it to get a reaction from you. I know it's frustrating as it's our businesses - I've had two trolls leave low star ratings that have never been to my salon & are nowhere near me either, so all I did was reply in a professional manner with the following:

"Thank you for taking the time to review our salon with your star rating, although we have no record of you visiting our salon and we note you are based in London, we would like to understand your 2 star rating, if you would kindly contact us with your feedback so we can take it into consideration and continue to offer our high level of customer service".

Oh and one of these ladies is a owner of London based salon whom I removed from my personal fb book page as I didn't know her lol - I'm sure she wouldn't like it if I were as unprofessional as her by leaving a false review!

I had a random 3*er and I replied to the review like this: Hi David. I don't remember you visiting the salon, but I am disappointed you gave me 3/5. If you want to email me with any information about your visit I will investigate it, kind regards ...

and he replied with: I haven't sorry don't know where this review came from,may have been my kids messing with the phone

Annoying but it happens

I just don't let people rate me at all.

It's just so easily manipulated on both sides (either for good or ill) that I think it's virtually useless.

If people are kind enough to like my services and want to leave a testimonial I post it as a "good news story" on my timeline.

I just don't let people rate me at all.

It's just so easily manipulated on both sides (either for good or ill) that I think it's virtually useless.

If people are kind enough to like my services and want to leave a testimonial I post it as a "good news story" on my timeline.

I'm not aware on a fb page there is an option to remove the reviews or star ratings options?

You can remove the review function completely by taking your address off your page.

For me, that's not a problem as I work over the net and people don't need my business address anyway.

It might be an issue if you're a salon (less so if you're mobile) but there are other ways of displaying your address (on the cover for example).

**Edit**

That's the way I did it. However, I've just Googled it and found this. Not sure if it still works though.

How to remove Facebook's 5 Star Rating and Review feature from your business Page.

Last edited:
Wow, I never realised people took these so literally.

I don't have this style of page on Facebook but I have looked through nail pages before and seen reviews, I have clicked the stars in the past without meaning to and also clicked them to rate the work I've seen in pictures, not necessarily the treatments I've had... I genuinely didn't realise people only wanted ratings regarding the treatment they received...

I don't mean just leaving bad feedback for no reason I mean leaving 4/5* for people just from looking at the work they upload.

I wouldn't take it to heart and certainly wouldn't send that message, not because it's rude or awful, I simply think it's unnecessary, you could open a can of worms with someone who genuinely didn't know or someone who's just awkward for no reason and will go out of their way to leave more bad reviews.

The best way to go from here is bump up your reviews from likers of your page, a few positive comments will get your rating higher again.

I don't think clients really care about the amount of stars though when they think about booking, they can make their own assumptions from pictures and how busy you seem to be.

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow, I never realised people took these so literally.

I don't have this style of page on Facebook but I have looked through nail pages before and seen reviews, I have clicked the stars in the past without meaning to and also clicked them to rate the work I've seen in pictures, not necessarily the treatments I've had... I genuinely didn't realise people only wanted ratings regarding the treatment they received...

I don't mean just leaving bad feedback for no reason I mean leaving 4/5* for people just from looking at the work they upload.

I wouldn't take it to heart and certainly wouldn't send that message, not because it's rude or awful, I simply think it's unnecessary, you could open a can of worms with someone who genuinely didn't know or someone who's just awkward for no reason and will go out of their way to leave more bad reviews.

The best way to go from here is bump up your reviews from likers of your page, a few positive comments will get your rating higher again.

I don't think clients really care about the amount of stars though when they think about booking, they can make their own assumptions from pictures and how busy you seem to be.

Curious as to why you'd click star rating/ reviews of people's work they have uploaded on to their business pages when you either haven't had a service or purchased a product?
This is what the issue is in this thread & what the op is stating. Are you saying that for example if your Google business page or other advertising page for your business had low star ratings left just because someone didn't like the picture you'd uploaded you wouldn't mind if they left a 1 star? I'm sure any business minded person would want to know why a customer wasn't happy with either the service or product but to have any random person trolling a site or page leaving random reviews that simply aren't relevant to that business because the person reviewing it has had no business as such with them is not what it's there for. The star ratings & reviews sections on any business site are for customers of the business to leave a review based on dealing with that business (salon or retail etc). So of course it will annoy business owners when they work so hard to provide a product or service to have a troll leave something negative.
Hope you understand

Curious as to why you'd click star rating/ reviews of people's work they have uploaded on to their business pages when you either haven't had a service or purchased a product?
This is what the issue is in this thread & what the op is stating. Are you saying that for example if your Google business page or other advertising page for your business had low star ratings left just because someone didn't like the picture you'd uploaded you wouldn't mind if they left a 1 star? I'm sure any business minded person would want to know why a customer wasn't happy with either the service or product but to have any random person trolling a site or page leaving random reviews that simply aren't relevant to that business because the person reviewing it has had no business as such with them is not what it's there for. The star ratings & reviews sections on any business site are for customers of the business to leave a review based on dealing with that business (salon or retail etc). So of course it will annoy business owners when they work so hard to provide a product or service to have a troll leave something negative.
Hope you understand

As I said, I'm not a troll and I certainly don't click the stars to be negative.

The pages generally don't state that they're only advertising for potential customers, if that was the case I best not 'like' any of them as I do my own nails and don't feel the need to go anywhere else.

I use the pages to get ideas for new fashions /designs etc. If I like what I see on a page I see nothing wrong with giving them a rating, is this wrong because I've never been to them or is it okay because I'm being nice?

Some people may not take these pages/stars as literally as them hurting someone's feelings, I wouldn't like negativity for no reason but I wouldn't leave myself open to it on a Facebook page with a review box for anonymous people to damage my reputation but then I also don't think that a review box in itself should be your reputation and like I say I'm sure potential clients will look at the OPs pics and decide for themselves so try not to let it bother her too much :)

This happened to me last night. I'm a new salon and someone gave me a 2 star rating on Facebook. She's never been to me. Someone commented on her rating asking had she even been to me. To which she replied no and I won't go ever based on this website. Turns out she's in Esthetics school now. Sure shows her professionalism.

Latest posts

Back