facial steaming/ needles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princessk

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I just wanted your opinion on using steam during a facial.
I know that some salons use steam and others dont.
Iv been told that using steam can make your skin go "mushy" and in some way it effects the skin. (the plus side to using steam= relaxing, removes blackheads)
The alternative to steam is lancing (needles) to remove blackheads and spots. Again iv been told that this can cause cross infections (wont scar if done properly)
So what do you belive is best for the skin?

If you are worried about direct steam on the skin then wrap a hot towel around the face and then direct the steam over the towel. It keeps the towel warm without the direct heat from the steam. I personally think that adding this to your facials seems more professional. I don't believe that lancing is so popular anymore, although combined with the steam really aid with the extraction of milia.

so from a clients point of view would you be dissapointed if you didnt recive steam?

I think it depends on your client. if it's a facial virgin, they won't know what to expect, some people feel claustrophobic with steam.

I would add steam to a luxury facial or hot towels!
HTH

I use steam in practically every facial. I've never experienced the skin going "mushy."

I think it's fab for deep cleansing without any harshness. It also preps the skin really well for whatever mask you might apply after, and really activates the absorption of nutrients.

I definitely don't like lancing. It can cause more problems than it's worth, even if done well.

princessk said:
Hi everyone
I just wanted your opinion on using steam during a facial.
I know that some salons use steam and others dont.
Iv been told that using steam can make your skin go "mushy" and in some way it effects the skin. (the plus side to using steam= relaxing, removes blackheads)
The alternative to steam is lancing (needles) to remove blackheads and spots. Again iv been told that this can cause cross infections (wont scar if done properly)
So what do you belive is best for the skin?

another alternative would be desincrustation for blackheads or high frequency for pustuals - zap em....

Steaming has always been helpful to me for extractions just don't steam on heat sensitive skins/ skins with fragile capillaries/ sun burnt skin/ recently lazered skin/ chemically peeled skin or on people with claustrophobia!! I'm thinking you'd need to steam for hours to see "mushy" skin!! but I guess the effect you are talking about the effect you would see if you sat in the bath too long-prune fingers e.t.c?!

Not only does steaming make extractions easier it also warms up the skin improving circulation therefore increases nutrients being delivered to the skin and makes it more receptive to absorbing products.

Latest posts

Back