Fake Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails Plus

Nails Plus
Reaction score
Some time ago I saw an article about spotting fake Shellac by the numbering on th botles. Can anyone point me in the right direction please

I would say the easiest thing to do would be to purchase from either sweet squared or Ellisons. This way you know they are 100% genuine 😃

I am not buying from another "retailer ". I have been offered some from someone on FB but want to make sure it's genuine

The only way to know is to buy from a genuine distributor, which is sweet squared (and ellisons if you're in the uk). Believe me you will save yourself a lot of hassle by just going to them!

I am not buying from another "retailer ". I have been offered some from someone on FB but want to make sure it's genuine

I understand what you're saying but I just wouldn't risk getting shellac from anywhere other than S2 or Ellison's as you can't guarantee it's genuine from anywhere else.

I'm not condoning buying from someone but I understand why you would, a lot of the time fake shellac has a very strong smell, it's hard to describe but once you smell it you'll know. It's not always an indicator though as I'm sure some creators of fake shellac are good at what they do and it could smell perfectly normal. Another thing I've noticed is the lids (probably not even the right word) the black part you hold onto when painting can look different to normal shellac, it's rougher in texture and not as shiny. I've also noticed it feels different opening the bottle, almost like it's not sturdy and is cheaper. I was in possession of a fake (that my boss had ordered mistakenly not realising it was fake, I knew straight away) and told my boss to open it and then open a real shellac, even she was surprised by how different it felt!
Obviously ordering from a official retailer is the first option but these are just some things to look out for, again some creators are verrrry good at what they do and you might not even know it's a fake.

Just to say I have two types of lids on my shellac - some rough and some smooth and they're all from official suppliers so please don't let that be a guideline for fakes!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If it's a business & they have bought them from a genuine place. I'm sure they wouldn't mind showing you the invoices to prove this.
Hth

I would say the easiest thing to do would be to purchase from either sweet squared or Ellisons. This way you know they are 100% genuine 😃

Or Sweet Squared's official distributor partners in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester!
Remember that Ellisons only supplies a limited S2 product range... the only way to purchase the full range of systems and products with confidence in the UK is from Sweet Squared, The Centre Scotland, or Creative Academy+ Manchester.

All of my shellac are from s2 and they all have different lids some are shiny and some are more rough texture. The lid will not be an indication if it's a fake x

A few of mine have different lids too, I was using it as an example as any fakes I've seen have the textured lids and I was making a point to look out for differences in appearance, sometimes you might not even be able to tell a difference. I'm just trying to help the girl out with some suggestions of how to tell if they could be fake.

Does anyone know if Dennis Williams is an approved retailer? I saw Cnd shellac on there when I was ordering my college kit. Looks a reputable site if the college use it xxx

Does anyone know if Dennis Williams is an approved retailer? I saw Cnd shellac on there when I was ordering my college kit. Looks a reputable site if the college use it xxx

'Fraid not. Dennis Williams is not authorised to sell CND Shellac and never has been.

Eeek that's bad as they look a reputable supplier too xx

Latest posts

Back