Fan shape nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fab nails

Reaction score
Howdie peeps

Can someone please help me out? When a client has fan shaped natural nails, is it better to recommend that they are oval shaped rather than square. I had a client who wanted a square shape but the overall look, quite frankly was cack.
Or am I simply doing something wrong?

All help greatly received!!

I agree, I did some french tips with l&p on my bezzie mate - her nails are fan-shaped and they also looked rubbish!
I tried to file a higher arch out of the well to give a nicer shape but they still looked silly... see below...

Any suggestions would be welcome as she would love her nails to stop looking like 'buttons' (that's what she calls them!!!).

...I'm soooo embarrassed of these nails - I did them for free as an experiment... don't judge me!:o
2726acrylicwhitetip1-med.jpg

Hiya,
I wouldn't use white tips on fan shaped nails because you need to remove most of the free edge before you begin and from the piccie the tips are positioned way to low.
I would take back most of the free edge, Then apply tip(not white ones) and overlay with pink and white. Also keep the shape oval it looks much better.
Hths

But would you shape a natural nail oval??

The fan-shaped nail is one of the most difficult shapes to create the illusion of being sleek ... because it is anything but in its natural state.

Using the french tip on the nails above has only highlighted the shortness of the nailbed by creating the extreme smile. In fact, white tips with or without the extreme smile only tend to highlight the problem area. You are trying to create an illusion so you dont want to highlight the problem area too much.

Using a tip rather than sculpting is the easiest way to go with this nail if you want to do a makeover. Shorten the free edge as low as it will go. Apply a tip like Velocity which is tapered at the sides to 'draw in' the widest part of the nail. Keep relatively short to medium length. I personaly would go for a very natural-looking gently curved free edge rather than oval as short oval does not look pretty in my opinion.

Not everyone or every shape of nail can handle being long! Sometimes long is not pretty. There has never been a better time fashion-wise to wear 'model' length, neat, natural looking nails and this is the perfect shape for the 'fan' nail makeover.

Latest posts

Back