Feel terrible, liquid and powder help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise2019

Reaction score
I trained in acrylic nails 3/4 years ago. Have only ever done a handful of nails but been practicing on myself. My nails are ok, no perfect but ok plus they last 4 weeks.

Had a girl asking me could I do chrome acrylic extensions so I agreed. Thought it would be. Few pound for me and good practice.

It took me 2.45 minutes and she gave me 45 pound for it. I felt so bad taking it off her. The nails were ok but again weren't great. She wanted them longer than I was used to so I used a bigger bead of product and they just looked a bit thick and cuticle area was messy. No pics sorry.

I emailed a salon close to me willing to do a full day training with me but it's 180 pound!!

I'm so sad I don't have this money and fell like I should give up!

I think a refresher course could be a great idea but don't go to a local salon. Find a professional nail trainer x

Sorry should have said the salon close by is professional and tech everything to do with beauty. I might have to. Already paid 1500 for the first course. :-(

£180 is just 4 sets of nails when you think about it. Money spend on training is always a good investment, you'll have the skills for life.

If you not confident is highly recommend training.

I've been doing nails for about 10 years now and I still go on continuous training , you never know it all and techniques and knowledge is updated all of the time!

Thanks I quess your right. Never looked at it that way.

I was in exactly the same place about 6/8 months in, I'd spend a fortune on training, times were not coming down, nails were hideous, lifting and breaking. My breaking point came when I threw my brush across the room in temper at 2am and sobbed for about an hour :oops:

My tutor and mentor at the time said to come in for a refresher, but I said exactly the same thing as you, in fact I think I was a bit rude and said I wasn't throwing good money after bad :confused:. She actually turned up at my house one day, supposedly for coffee but marched me to the salon and we sat for a couple of hours working, tweeking and chatting things through...OMG! suddenly things all clicked into place. I think you have so much to take in at the beginning of your training, then you're on your own trying to practise, not sure if you're making any progress, repeating the same mistakes over and over again, but a couple of hours refresher on a 1-2-1 basis can make a whole heap of difference I promise.

Last edited:
Really? Wow god love you that must have been hard. I'm a busy mum for 4 young kids but defo hoping to get better at it so maybe yous are right I'll have to give it a go. Thanks so much for your kids words. Appreciate it a lot.

We've all been there! I remember thinking I'd cracked acrylic then my next set was horrendous, started off bad and just got worse, I was at the point where I just wanted to get up, run away and cry!

If you've only done a few sets don't beat yourself up, keep at it, it really is practice, practice, practice, but practicing the right way!

Don't worry too much about timing at the moment, clients would rather you take an extra 30 mins for a good set than less time for a bad set. I got hung up about timings when I first started out and it was counter productive, in trying to speed up my application was nowhere near as good as it could have been and then I was spending more time filing and correcting.

The fact that you've recognised where there is room for improvement is great, I've seen some techs churn out sets after sets that they think are okay when they are far from it.

Latest posts

Back