Feeling overwhelmed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsKelliG

Reaction score
Hi all,
(So sorry for the long post , please bear with me!)
While on maternity leave I decided to follow my dream of re-training and becoming a mobile nail technician and beauty therapist as we couldn't afford to pay for childcare if I returned to my job (this was baby number 4) and this way I'd be able to set my own working hours around my children while eventually making some money .... I managed to secure funding for some courses and paid for others myself with the holiday pay I'd accrued. I am currently qualified in semi permanent polish, waxing, eyelash extensions, brow definition and spray tanning and have a gel and acrylic extension course left to do in the coming weeks.

My problem is buying all the equipment needed! I'm extremely lucky that I have a very supportive family member who has, so far, given me the money to buy everything I've needed (although I've paid for a fair bit myself) and I've found amazing suppliers (especially for gelish) that even my trainer is now buying from.

My main concern is that I won't generate enough business to repay my family member and knowing I still have equipment to buy is beginning I make me feel physically sick! He keeps telling me we need to spend money to make money and I agree that if I have everything I need I can really push my business forward and build my clientele but I'm having a serious wobble! I'm trying to give my business the best chance possible and have plenty of advertising and am booked to go on new business courses next month to learn the basics etc...

Can someone please tell me this is normal because it's starting to really affect my confidence 😕 I don't want to take a risk with someone else's money but can't afford to wait to earn the money myself (loans are out of the question)

TIA x

its completely normal i too had a very generous family member my mother in law in fact, she lent me the money to open my salon it didn't cost a fortune as the salon was already kitted out it was just my stock, towels etc when i opened i just gave her what i could each week and she has her free treatments of course :)

i say count yourself lucky you have such a lovely family member who just wants to see you succeed. i would just put a little bit by each week and save up and then give them a little something at the end of each month, also if you haven't already done it set yourself up a Facebook page get all your friends & family to like it and also a website.

All the best of luck to you im sure you will do fab :) x

Totally, utterly, and completely normal.
I'm still working on training and I get moments of "why why whyyyyy am I wasting my money on this when I could be using it for something ELSE!?!?"
I guess it's just about having faith and being determined to work so hard at being such amazing techs/therapists that we have no choice but to succeed.

The only guaranteed proof that we've failed and it's all been a waste is if we quit right? Because until we do that we can keep pushing forward to succeed and make it all worth while.

Ahhh thank you both - can't seem to shake this feeling off today 😔

I have a Facebook page, a website, business cards and I'm doing ok all things considered but anything I make goes straight back in to new equipment and then I'm having to ask again for more funds to buy yet another kit and I'm feeling so under pressure to succeed so I can pay him back ....

When I say family member, he's actually my mothers ex boyfriend who I look upon as a father figure, he's gramps to my children and he has so much faith in me that I'm petrified I'll let him and my family down ..... I've asked him to pop over for a chat so I can get it all offy chest and hopefully take the weight off my shoulders ... Wish me luck!!

Is it a good idea to work out what else you'll need, rather than just keep adding? Sometimes I bury my head in the sand which is often what wakes me up in the night in a cold sweat - how much do I owe/how will I pay it back/when will I pay it back etc.

If he is happy to support you in this way, and he can afford to, take the "mums ex boyfriend" bit out of the equation and think of it as a business partnership. He obviously has great faith in you and wants to help - don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Best of luck,

Vicki x

Thanks all -
I sat down and had a chat with him this evening and he basically laughed at me, told me I'm being silly and told to just buy what I need and "not the cheap stuff cos you'll end up doing a crap job" (his words not mine)!!
He's fortunate not to be poor like me so he sees that being able to start a business for around £1500 marvellous!
I was a lot more relaxed until I started researching acrylic and hard gel kits and got myself all frustrated and gave up for the evening lol

Thank you lovely ladies - you've all given fab advice x

Back