Feels bad for my regulars!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clownyclaire

Reaction score
I've constantly reminded all my regulars that Xmas is coming and to book before the rush.. Well I'm already fully booked for the 2 last weeks up to Xmas!! But a lot of my
Regulars still not booked... I no there nothing I can do but feel bad as they always come back yet the 'one off' type people have secured there space! I've even put it on my Facebook page to tell them but they just expect me to squeeze them in but it's Just not possible this year! How can I tell them that basically I can't make there nails pretty this
Year because with all the hints and advice I gave there still too late!!

I don't know if any or you will heed my advice on this one, but I thought I would tell you of my experience.

As most of you know, I worked my years behind the nail desk just like all of you are doing right now ... MANY years of 8 till 8 (and beyond), always giving my all to the clients.

Every year, starting from August in some cases, my devoted clients would start to book their Christmas appointments!!! Yes ... August. Christmas eve filled up before anything else. Why, I used to wonder, did clients who would normally go for 3 weeks between maintenance appointments all feel they had to jam in the day before Christmas? It used to take ages to get them all on an even routine again after Christams.

Anyway, Christmas eve would come and the phone would never stop ringing from the moment we got to the salon, while many of the said adoring clients cancelled their appointments until after the new year, because they were too busy!!!

After about 3 years of this, I decided we would not take any appointments, and we would close the salon on Christmas eve. It gave all of we technicians time to give to our own families and celebrations and it was great.

Here is the reality. We were always so full with all the regulars before Christmas that we couldn't fit in new customers, so we really didn't gain over the Christmas period because we did all the same old same old! We made more money, (because we worked longer hours) but in reality we didn't because we were not building new clientele.

It was JANUARY when we got all the new business!!! Everyone who had seen and liked our beautiful nails at parties over the holidays, were booking in for full sets.

Maybe take a little time for yourself and your own families this year?

Maybe take a little time for yourself and your own families this year?
Completely agree with this! I have made myself available for the morning of Christmas Eve as there was a group of 3 girls wanting nails & a set of eyelashes on that day - they're new clients so it wasn't worth turning them away.

I finish at 1pm and my afternoon is then my own until the Thursday when New Year's bookings will start again!

Seems to be working out fine.

OP, if you've told them, you've told them - no need to feel guilty, they obviously thought they could push you into it by not taking notice of your updates! If they're loyal, they'll be back regardless :)

Geeg as been giving the above advice for many many years and I ignored her the first year I worked over Christmas and spent the day fielding calls from clients cancelling on Christmas eve as M&S had changed the time she could collect her turkey, or the cats false teeth had broken and she needed to get to the vets, or Grandad was locked in BHS toilets, etc etc.

The following year I closed my business on Christmas eve and I have ever since, most clients are relieved as I've taken the decision out of the equation for them :biggrin:

I also go through my diary in August (when those very organised clients start booking) and book out the slots my absolute regulars have, this is only tentative and when they are next in I say 'Christmas is coming, this is your regular appointment with me in the Christmas week (or whenever) so I've booked you in ready is that OK?' - they all say yes, and I don't hold them to it nearer to the time if things change but it suits me to ensure my regulars, who are my bread and butter all year, get their treasured spots at this important time too.

HTH

I've had exactly the same thing. Ppl started booking from end august so I started saying to all my regulars that they better get in there as I'm getting really busy. Some haven't booked and I'm full now but I warned them
I'd be busy can't do much more than that. I put a reminder on Facebook and had a mad rush of txts and calls when I was already full the last 2 weeks. The way I see it if you're having shellac it lasts most ppl 3 weeks anyway would they really have to have it done the week of Xmas.. Worked well putting a reminder on fb as now my first 2weeks of dec are full too. Totally get where geeg is coming from what with the snow and ppl being busy they cancel alot anyway- so annoying! I would keep a cancellation list if you don't already :)
Sorry havent helped much but totally sympathise x

Keep your regulars on their normal schedule. There is no need to book everyone in just before Christmas. Nails last a good 3 weeks. If you fit everyone in before Christmas, then you will have a huge hole in youR APPOINTMENT BOOK during the following weeks and that is time you could have had with family and friends.

I have booked all mr regulars in up until new year but after years of working silly hours up until new year and being ill straight after new year this year I'm taking Xmas eve off to do mummy stuff! But will be working new years eve. One piece of advice if you do work Xmas eve is to take payment early. We never took any cash Xmas eve and any appointments not paid for in advance were cancelled (phoned client though first) we always told clients it was due to banking over Xmas but in reality it was to stop timewasters and people not turning up all clients were told no shows would not be refunded :) I agree with Geeeg that new clients come in January. xx

I'm not open yet but fingers crossed will be in the next few weeks but will definitely be by December. I may not have any clients at all as I'll only just be open but I am really hoping that Christmas is actually the perfect time for me to open and I will have a good few at least. So I have been thinking about opening hours over Christmas and was also thinking about what I was going to do Christmas Eve, as my Husband works half a day then him and his boss go for a drink together in the afternoon and we don't have anyone to look after our son for us, so I'm so glad you have said that Geeg, as now I can feel less guilty about not being open that day. Whilst I will be doing my utmost to be available as much as possible, I do have a family and there are going to be times when they have to come first, this is one of those times. I will just work later evenings that week if necessary. But like I say, I may not even have to worry about it at all :wink2:

Most of my regular clients have a specific booking slot so i know for probably the whole year, exactly what day/time i will see them and this works for chistmas time too. I do have to wiggle the occasional one that falls on xmas eve etc to fit around my xmas break.

The problem you might find with booking in 'one off' clients like you have, is that your regulars will go elsewhere to get the appointments they need and not return in the new year. If your one offs dont return either.... well, its going to be a quiet January! It could also be a quiet Dec if, as Geeg has pointed out, the usual xmas madness leads to various cancellations.

The regulars i have that dont book the same slots have already been gven their christmas appointments! I have given them a date and time and they have agreed, those that havent will have to take their chances. This has left me free to book any new clients that might pop up. xx

Latest posts

Back