Fees for family & friends

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do my mum & mother inlaw free & my best friend free. How people can charge their own mothers I don't know???!!!!!! I do nails for £15 to people I kno £20 to people I don't. X

Mum, sister and mother in law free, friends I charge full price, at the start I offered to do a friend for free as I was new and needed the practice but problem was she then expected it for free all the time! Even now 3 years on, she would book in with me and not even offer anything, I now ask her, and she gets all flustered over it! Start as you mean to go on, you have trained and bought product, you are not a charity! Obviously wouldn't dream of charging either mums or sister! X

I charge everyone full price I'm afraid. Most of my really good friends insist so every so often I will do something extra for free or will do an amazing reduction on products!

My mum is free, family and friends full price but if they want glitter or nail art I don't charge extra. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I do my mum & mother inlaw free & my best friend free. How people can charge their own mothers I don't know???!!!!!! I do nails for £15 to people I kno £20 to people I don't. X

My mum insists! But usually no money is exchanged as she pays for stuff I don't want my hubby to know about lol so we have a kind of account thing going. I don't have any siblings and nor does my hubby but I guess if we did they'd be free or half price.

Karaxxx

My mum and mother in law will not accept free treatments, it drives me potty, if I refuse the money they hide it in my kitchen!

I owe my mum a million, which I'll never be able to pay back.. Honestly don't know how anyone could charge their own mums.. The woman who brought you up, your whole life and payed your way.. She helped buy things for my kit and helped pay my course. Also do my grandmas free because well she is my gran, although she always try's to give me something because she knows how much one bottle of gelish costs.. They just like an application of gelish, something quick and lasts long, they get so many compliments on their nails everyday and it makes their day.. To me having them feel good about themselves is worth more than any cash amount :)

My mum is free, no way I could charge her, but I think she says she sometimes puts some money in my savings tin when I do her nails. Which I don't think she should!

1 close friend I insist on giving her a small discount £5 off, and even though I did her nails as a birthday present and I said I was doing acrylics with shellac she INSISTED on giving me half the cost... and she's said the discount has to stop. It's not going to though as she's a good friend and the fact that she's willing to pay full whack is very humbling.

Then there's the other friend who expects everything for nothing. She gets acrylics and shellac for the price of basic acrylics.... as one time she pitched a fit at an already discounted price from me because as she said "I can't pay that". :( That really annoys me and sometime I wonder why I do her nails.

I was doing my cousin's nail every 2 weeks until she got her own bloody bluesky machine for christmas. She's not been back since. She got a small discount too.

My mums not really into beauty but when I have done treatments on her I wouldn't dream of charging her. She will insist but I'll just put it back in her pocket lol the amount of time and money she's given me throughout my life I think I can give her a freebie lol.

I have two friends who I've known since I was a baby so they pay half price but they have never taken advantage and half the time they end up giving all of it once they've tipped me anyway lol.

Anyone else is full price x

I'm surprised at how many people charge friends full price!

I'm surprised at how many people charge friends full price!

Why wouldn't we? Majority of my clients are friends .. I'm running a business, not a favour salon. I don't see why they should receive a different kind of service compared to other clients?

Ooh I must add when I say family £15, I don't mean my mum or mother in law as annoyingly neither of them ever get their nails done. I don't actually even think my mum has ever worn nail varnish even once 😳 and I don't have any sisters or sister in laws (only brothers) would deffo never charge my mum if she ever changed her mind lol xx

Because my friends all have various trades which always come in handy, our boiler was on blink last month, took my mates man half hour to fix it, he didn't charge as were all good friends! It's only ur time ur discounting and if u can't discount 15-30 mins of ur time for ur friends I personally think there's something far wrong in ur relationships! My mates being me sweets, lunch and other bits n bobs as I do them if visiting at work. Maybe were all just too nice to each other! Xxxxx

When I was practising I would do everything on my sisters for free. Now I just charge them for the cost of the products I'm using.

Because my friends all have various trades which always come in handy, our boiler was on blink last month, took my mates man half hour to fix it, he didn't charge as were all good friends! It's only ur time ur discounting and if u can't discount 15-30 mins of ur time for ur friends I personally think there's something far wrong in ur relationships! My mates being me sweets, lunch and other bits n bobs as I do them if visiting at work. Maybe were all just too nice to each other! Xxxxx

I'm sorry but that's a little harsh. There is nothing wrong at all between our relationship with me & my friends thankyou very much. If there was, they would not come to me for their treatments doing.

Aw I don't think it has anything to do with how good, bad or indifferent your friendships are. In fact for me personally,I'm pretty chuffed my friend choose me to do their nails without the expectation of a discount- shows a level of respect for my business and work. Of course if we've done each other a favour then we're happy to exchange our services but this is done on an as and when basis, not a 'payment' in advance type thing. Each to their own :) ♡ xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I live in a small village and know pretty much everyone. It's tough to know where friends start and end! I have a builder who is a friend and charges me for everything and I'm happy to pay. When I worked from home I was far more likely to do freebies as we would have a glass of wine and a chat. Now I have rent, salaries and overheads. My good friends have seen my business grow and they are glad to be clients. It has happened to me where friends insist it's cheap or free so I don't go back even though I may want to.
For those of you critical about 'charging' your mum - mine insisted. More a case of her paying than me charging her! It was her way of helping us financially when we were struggling. I hope I can do the same for my daughters in the future!

Vicki x

I'm not from a massive town and I'm friends with a lot of people who pay full price in my salon but my best friends I see regularly, look after their children and them mine, we holiday together etc, I just couldn't/wouldn't charge full price.

Don't mean to rattle anyone's cages, it's just my opinion! I wouldn't expect to pay full price with them either, for example if they worked in a chip shop id expect extra chips as it's just how we are, what we do. My friend has a pub and often gives us a drink on the house, I wouldn't refuse it, he knows I bum up his pub, pass on numbers for hall hires etc plus I end up spendin more than I probably should be as it's his pub lol.

I didn't intend to cause offence to anyone so apologies if it's upset anyone! Xxxx

I just think we can all come at it from different angles. My good friends will do anything for me and I'll do anything for them - just not their shellac once a fortnight for nothing lol x

I don't give them it free lol, half price for best friends xxxx

Latest posts

Back