Fibreglass repair using Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joingram87

Reaction score
Hi guys. :)

I have watched fingernailfixers video on how to repair a nail with fibreglass and shellac. I have a couple of splits on my nails and I followed her video to to t as I was doing them.

I did my nails last wednesday evening, used fibreglass on the 2 nails with splits, and 5days on I have had to repair them because the split has made it's way through the fibreglass!

I am using the ASP brand of fibreglass-don't know if this is a good brand to use?! Is 5days roughly the time it lasts for or should it last the full 2 weeks when I re shellac and apply more fibreglass if needed? Would you recommend a specific fibreglass brand?

Thanks in advance geeks, I know you can put me straight, if you want me to list the steps I did I'm happy to-even though I did them as I watched the vid!

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Personally I didn't get good results when I used fibreglass in that way, so I went back to using it in the traditional way with resin and have flawless results using it with Shellac.
One client in particular suffers with some splitting and peeling nails, she currently has 4 fibreglass overlays on and they last the full 2-3 weeks.
When I remove the Shellac the fibreglass comes off at the same time and I reapply to the nails that need the 'help' :green:

Hiya :)

I had a feeling someone would come back saying that lol...I wouldn’t know where to start with using the resin etc for fibreglass as I’m not trained in it...and presumably I would need training to know how to apply it successfully?! x

Hiya :)

I had a feeling someone would come back saying that lol...I wouldn’t know where to start with using the resin etc for fibreglass as I’m not trained in it...and presumably I would need training to know how to apply it successfully?! x
Give your insurance company a call and ask them if you would be covered for using it for natural nail repairs. If it's just for using on yourself then you should be ok to have a 'go' at it, however, it's good to use it on clients who have split nails :)

There are a few fibreglass tutorials on the site, click on Articles at the top, 'Member Tutorials' and then 'Nail Application' :D

It isn't difficult to do, but that's easy enough said when you know how to use it lol... the hardest part is the resin control, but by using a brush on resin the 'flooding' of sidewalls etc isn't usually an issue.

:green:

Thank you :) I hadnt thought to look in the tutorials because I assumed I would need training for it but I will check over my insurance and give them a call. I think I might be covered as my insurance states 'freelance nail technician' but wouldnt hurt to check to be sure.

Will check out those tutorials tomorrow when Im more bright eyed!

Hi, just had a call from a client, she has a small 2mm break and came across this post. I did fibreglass in my nvq 2 at college, strangely we did this rather than L&p or gel.!!! anyway would rather stick to shellac and fibreglass for repairs, has anyone else had any experience with it? also could you use silk instead? xx

Just repaired it with silk! fingers crossed! Just out of interest, how much would you charge per repair? Thanks x

Just repaired it with silk! fingers crossed! Just out of interest, how much would you charge per repair? Thanks x
I charge 1.50 per nail as it doesn't take very long at all :D

Latest posts

Back