Fibromyalgia and massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martigirl

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of treating this condition with massage.

From my massage training its not listed as a contra indication and I suspect massage could help but I was hoping for some advice.

Thanks in advance x

Hi,

Massage therapy it's one of the best treatment for fybromyalgia sufferers . At the place I used to work before I had a lady suffering from fybromyalgia and her GB recommended her body massages .

There was a post not too long ago on this, do a quick search. I have Fibromyalgia and find massage too painful, imagine severe pain when lightly touched or even your clothes on your skin hurts, if it is that bad then massage will be unbearable. Some dont suffer as severely so I think it would be a very individual thing which would call for a detailed consultation. Some sufferers enjoy regular massage and before my condition deteriorated I had some accupressure massage which was briefly helpful. Unfortunately I cant bear massage now but hopefully things will improve again. Good luck and let us know how it goes

My mum has this condition and i was under the impression that as is effects the nervous system it was contra indicated?
Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

There was a post not too long ago on this, do a quick search. I have Fibromyalgia and find massage too painful, imagine severe pain when lightly touched or even your clothes on your skin hurts, if it is that bad then massage will be unbearable. Some dont suffer as severely so I think it would be a very individual thing which would call for a detailed consultation. Some sufferers enjoy regular massage and before my condition deteriorated I had some accupressure massage which was briefly helpful. Unfortunately I cant bear massage now but hopefully things will improve again. Good luck and let us know how it goes

This sounds just like my mum the slightest big of pressure even just brushing past her feels like someone is pressing a really bad bruise.

This sounds just like my mum the slightest big of pressure even just brushing past her feels like someone is pressing a really bad bruise.

Oh dear I am sorry to hear that she is suffering so badly, I am lucky that mine is not excruciating most of the time and painkillers manage it quite well but I cannot remember when last I had pain free day. You learn to live with it and at least I am not bed ridden or in a wheelchair like some sufferers I have met. A lady a few doors away from me is virtually house bound with it.( She is actually interested in getting amobile masseuse) I can still go to work and walk my dogs etc etc. I hope your mum improves soon and remind her to be forceful with the GP regarding medications etc. Some try to fob you off with a few pills. There are a lot of new drugs constantly appearing and a lot of the meds at the moment have undesirable side effects.

I have heard a lot of good feedback about Lightning Therapy but it is a bit pricey. ( No not real lightning,LOL)

Im glad your not suffering too badly now and are able to get out and about. I also know of people who suffer terribly, its not something i would wish on anyone its horrible. She's have up hope with doctors before she was diagnosed (which she knew before her doctor as she has the same symptoms as her cousin who also suffers) the doctor tried to tell her she was depressed! They are a joke how they treat their patients.

My mum has an office job so she can still work but has often fallen asleep at her desk lol.

i have many clients with this condition

side effects can be
A) massge is agony and should be avoided or ...
B) If massage is avoided life is agony haha

my clients with this condition pref hotsones massage as it is deeper penetrating and quicker at providing muscular relife with out having to put to much presser on the body x

i have many clients with this condition

side effects can be
A) massge is agony and should be avoided or ...
B) If massage is avoided life is agony haha

my clients with this condition pref hotsones massage as it is deeper penetrating and quicker at providing muscular relife with out having to put to much presser on the body x

thank you ladies x

It wasn't a contra in my training which is why I was unsure, and having no knowledge of the condition my research by way of google was sketchy.

I really appreciate all the help x:hug:

Latest posts

Back