Filing natural nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetyrex

Reaction score
Just wondered how you all are filing your clients natural nails? I have always been taught from college(many years ago!) and from training courses over the years to file the natural nail in one direction so as not to damage the nail fibres or tear them. All therapists I've worked with over the years have also done the same. So, a trainer from a nail company came into the salon the other day to train our junior and said that the latest from america is that you CAN file the nail back and forth as long as there is not too much pressure as it actually helps to knit the nail fibres back together and that filing one way is the old fashioned way!
So who files one way and who goes back and forth?!

I file one way, its the way I was taught :)

I was taught one way but when I did my shellac brings them back I got told it depends on the grit of the file by my educator...

I also file just one way as I was trained.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just wondered how you all are filing your clients natural nails? I have always been taught from college(many years ago!) and from training courses over the years to file the natural nail in one direction so as not to damage the nail fibres or tear them. All therapists I've worked with over the years have also done the same. So, a trainer from a nail company came into the salon the other day to train our junior and said that the latest from america is that you CAN file the nail back and forth as long as there is not too much pressure as it actually helps to knit the nail fibres back together and that filing one way is the old fashioned way!
So who files one way and who goes back and forth?!

When training with CND, they learn you that whren using the Kanga Board, you can file back and forth. The Kanga Board is a gritt 240!

I file back and forth. With a proper nail file like a 240 grit you are actually sealing the free edge rather then ripping it to shreds.

Filing one way was the way to preserve the nail back when the only files we those nasty 80grit orange things. It was these files that would shred the nail if you dared file back and forth. Tools have come a long way :)

I was taught to file one way, because see-sawing causes friction which breaks down fat in the nail, weakening it and causing splitting! Its seems to work for me!

My EA on shellac brings them back filed back and forth, plus I'm almost positive Gigi has said on here that CND kanga files can be used this way.

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I file both ways using a 240 grit file.

Interesting! I have always been taught over the years to file one way but as someone said in a post earlier using the correct file it's supposed to seal the free edge.

I was taught to file side to centre!

I file back and forth. With a proper nail file like a 240 grit you are actually sealing the free edge rather then ripping it to shreds.

Filing one way was the way to preserve the nail back when the only files we those nasty 80grit orange things. It was these files that would shred the nail if you dared file back and forth. Tools have come a long way :)

Completely agree, I think that training (mainly in Colleges) does not keep up to date with new products and adapt and update their techniques to suit.

Fine grit files are completely different to the old emery boards I used when I first started and you could only use by filing one way. I have been using a finer 240 grit file for 14 years now and have had no problems when I see saw file, as I am sealing the keratin layers of the nail.

This doesn't mean it's wrong to keep filing in one direction just a bit outdated and unnecessary if you are using a 240 fine grit file.
I mean, I moved on from this 14 years ago, when are Colleges and other training providers going to catch up.......I'm betting they still also teach the outdated idea that you need to soak nails as part of a manicure too :rolleyes:

Completely agree, I think that training (mainly in Colleges) does not keep up to date with new products and adapt and update their techniques to suit.

Fine grit files are completely different to the old emery boards I used when I first started and you could only use by filing one way. I have been using a finer 240 grit file for 14 years now and have had no problems when I see saw file, as I am sealing the keratin layers of the nail.

This doesn't mean it's wrong to keep filing in one direction just a bit outdated and unnecessary if you are using a 240 fine grit file.
I mean, I moved on from this 14 years ago, when are Colleges and other training providers going to catch up.......I'm betting they still also teach the outdated idea that you need to soak nails as part of a manicure too :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree. I file back and fourth using the right nail file and I find it is also quicker and more time efficient.

I also have not used a fingernail soak for years and my clients don't ask for or query it. Modern and reputable cuticle removers do such a great job nowadays if they are needed which was the main purpose of the finger soak in the first place.

Also, people tend to smoke less now and therefore don't need the soak to remove and cleanse nicotine stains. Nothing wrong with politely asking your clients to quickly wash hands at a sink with a gentle nail brush prior to service.

Latest posts

Back