Finally working with a facial brand that I'm trained in!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Today I received my Gerard's facial certificates through the door and I feel like something has been resolved for me. I know this might sound daft to some people but for the past 2 years I have been working in spas where I've not been trained in the facial products I'm using. One of the many reasons I am preparing to go self employed is so that I can take responsibility for my own success/personal development/knowledge so to finally be working with a facial brand that I have been formally trained in feels like I've finally got something that has been bothering me addressed and it feels nice.

When working for other people (although I was trained in one prolific brand of facial product) the main facial brand carried by both spas I worked in is one that I was not trained in. I was expected to be enthusiastic and able to retail the products but I could only acquire my knowledge through reading the promotional material so technically I was no more knowledgeable about the product than a client. There were times when this made me feel frustrated at best but on a bad day it made me feel embarrassed/ashamed/inferior in some way. I know that sounds a bit over the top but even as a rational person who can look at the bigger picture, that's how it made me feel. In both spas where I worked, the therapists who had been given the benefit of the product training were usually more likely to get the training because of who they were mates with and there would be this culture of being made to feel less advanced as a therapist through something that you couldn't control. I hated that feeling so much because I am a good therapist overall.

So I know it might sound daft but on a personal level I feel better about myself as a therapist because I am preparing to work for myself and in this process I can become as advanced as I blummin well like without being dependant on the politics of a spa full of immature young girls as to whether I can develop in my career or not. I thrive on knowledge and it's nice to know that I can take responsibility for my career now. It's especially important to me to have in depth knowledge of the facial product I'm using because I want to educate clients and not just put something on their face because it says "cleanser" etc!

Do you guys feel as strongly about this as I do? Do you value education (especially in facial products) to a high extent? Can anyone relate to what I'm saying here?

As lovely as the products that I worked with were in spas it got to the point that I didn't want to look at another trolley full of a product that I knew very little about through no fault of my own yet had been working with for nearly two years!

My Gerard's certificate is lovely :) It didn't come with a date printed on it though so I hope that's ok? (anyone?) The products are lovely and although I'm not open for business yet, the results on my own skin have been fantastic so far. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a facial range to take on.

I've rambled here and it's quite a personal post but I just wanted to know if anyone could relate?

What a lovely post, my friend based in the UK uses Gerard's in her Salon. She is very impressed with it, so are her clients and it sells well.
In answer to your question; yes! I feel it is vital to be trained in the products used. I feel very strongly about this. I find it baffling that some people's answer to doing product training is 'I don't really want to do any more training..just want a product to use' I had this as a response recently! I have always trained in every product used, I feel this is the most effective way for me to get best results for my clients. Once again a lovely, very refreshing post <3 x

What a lovely post, my friend based in the UK uses Gerard's in her Salon. She is very impressed with it, so are her clients and it sells well.
In answer to your question; yes! I feel it is vital to be trained in the products used. I feel very strongly about this. I find it baffling that some people's answer to doing product training is 'I don't really want to do any more training..just want a product to use' I had this as a response recently! I have always trained in every product used, I feel this is the most effective way for me to get best results for my clients. Once again a lovely, very refreshing post <3 x

Awww thank you :) I'm glad that my strong feelings on this aren't just me being eccentric lol.

Gerards is a fantastic brand for a small mobile business because the products are advanced and results driven and there's more to learn as you can take on more treatments as you go along. I'd love to have a chocolate facial next nomnomnom :)

Edit: I also agree with you about having training in every product that you use...ive always felt so awkward about using an advanced brand that I don't know much about, especially if I can only train in it at an employers (not very liberal) discretion.

Latest posts

Back