Finding staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naturalb78

Reaction score
Hi just thought I'd see if anyone else has problems finding beauty therapist to employ I've tried advertising on indeed, Facebook, hairandbeautyjobs, and hair2beauty and not one applicant ?!
Any other suggestions where I can find an experienced therapist ? Thankyou xxx

It's a nightmare. Over the last 25 years I have watched training inthe beauty industry decline beyond belief. I have been recruiting since May for an experienced level 3 therapist and have not had one apply yet, I have tried writing the advert in every way imaginable. I get inundated by college leavers who are told they can walk in to a job earning £10 ph when they have an almost non existent knowledge of A&P, don't know how to remove cuticles properly, massage you like a limp lettuce and I can't even begin to describe waxing techniques.

I tried building a relationship with one local college but that died after I asked if my trainee therapist could learn my facial massage routine as the one she had been taught was agonisingly painful and brutal! I was polite obviously, but this resulted in an amazing student being victimised and bullied by a "teacher!"

The list of negative recruiting experiences goes on and on, it the most soul destroying aspect of my work. I'm desperate to find a college that trains people so that they are work place ready. Recruiting was a dream about 15 years ago, I was always inundated with highly trained therapists, even the college leavers, then it all went horribly wrong somewhere, I have no idea what happened but it's killing this industry.

Sorry, that hasn't helped at all.

A cool tip, go to cafes or restaurants you are familiar with, and ask them if they know anyone. It might be a bit old-fashioned, but it has worked for me. I've been a hair stylist for 4 years, ran my place solo, but I have good relations with a cafe in my town. I give my customers their business cards, they give out mine, and we ask around. Make friends with other busineses, especially local cafes!

Thanks cesar for the tip I'll give it a go and rubywoo I'm with you on all of that I can't believe the standard of the girls that are coming out of college ! I even rang my local college and complained to the head of beauty but she just said girls these days don't want to work and think we all owe them a favour and that's coming from the teacher so we have no hope ! I hope you also find someone soon and if you come up with some magical way of getting therapists let me know [emoji6]

Hi just thought I'd see if anyone else has problems finding beauty therapist to employ I've tried advertising on indeed, Facebook, hairandbeautyjobs, and hair2beauty and not one applicant ?!

SORRY...preaching to the converted..

I joined today to vent on this exact topic. Prior to helping support my wife's salon started 2 years ago, i spent 15 years in recruitment. I have three degrees and approach everything with absolute professionalism and honesty. I can only say that beauty therapists are the most unprofessional people i have ever met. I have a 40% no show for first interviews. Changing tact, I now write them a lengthy email after booking the interview informing them of every aspect of the business and telling them that it is ok if they are 'not interested'. 'Just let me know by email'. I still have have 20% no show for first interview. Even this morning, somebody cancelled at the last minute by email. Other than this, the amount of times that i have had applicants CV who have responded to my advert, telephoned them and they put the phone down before i have said anything at all is simply unbelievable. Why did they apply? I send an sms and email afterwards introducing myself with no response. Furthermore, the amount of times that people who have booked to actually come to work and simply haven't shown up is unimaginable and upsetting when you have a full diary of clients. Multiple times have we made agreements with people..lengthy sms conversations OVER DAYS and phone calls, booked them and then 'no show' or communication. The amount of hours wasted training apprentices so that they can actually do the job only to have them turnaround and 'both' make demands AND refuse to work. Only wanted a receptionist job !! We pay better than the going rate and expect nothing onerous at all. The problem with this industry is too much european and government funding for courses for immature minds that have failed academically. The 'don't want to work' generation that has fallen into this industry because they are enamoured with the word 'beauty' but simply do not understand the word 'work'. We are now at the stage that if we will not train apprentices and we will not take anybody that is less than ideal. Everybody is part-time so we are not let down. Prefer to lose clients than deal with idiots. I have had my rant.

Don't give up on us newly qualified therapists ;-) As a mature student I went to college with a passion for the profession, there were ALOT of younger ones there, some were fab and some were doing it because they could get if for free, did a pants job but we're still passed. I agree that the the level of teaching at college was poor but because I know this is the profession for me I have done extra courses, I read up on relevant stuff all the time (my brain never switches off)...why not consider a newly qualified mature student, someone that has made the effort to train in something later in life and can show dedication to the job? Just a thought xx

Don't give up on us newly qualified therapists ;-) As a mature student I went to college with a passion for the profession, there were ALOT of younger ones there, some were fab and some were doing it because they could get if for free, did a pants job but we're still passed. I agree that the the level of teaching at college was poor but because I know this is the profession for me I have done extra courses, I read up on relevant stuff all the time (my brain never switches off)...why not consider a newly qualified mature student, someone that has made the effort to train in something later in life and can show dedication to the job? Just a thought xx

Definitely, when I was at college some girls really shouldn't have passed.
I worked my butt off! I wish lecturers were more strict and could give a reference to the decent ones! I went self employed when I passed as no one would give me a job! Xx

It's a nightmare. Over the last 25 years I have watched training inthe beauty industry decline beyond belief. I have been recruiting since May for an experienced level 3 therapist and have not had one apply yet, I have tried writing the advert in every way imaginable. I get inundated by college leavers who are told they can walk in to a job earning £10 ph when they have an almost non existent knowledge of A&P, don't know how to remove cuticles properly, massage you like a limp lettuce and I can't even begin to describe waxing techniques.

I tried building a relationship with one local college but that died after I asked if my trainee therapist could learn my facial massage routine as the one she had been taught was agonisingly painful and brutal! I was polite obviously, but this resulted in an amazing student being victimised and bullied by a "teacher!"

The list of negative recruiting experiences goes on and on, it the most soul destroying aspect of my work. I'm desperate to find a college that trains people so that they are work place ready. Recruiting was a dream about 15 years ago, I was always inundated with highly trained therapists, even the college leavers, then it all went horribly wrong somewhere, I have no idea what happened but it's killing this industry.

Sorry, that hasn't helped at all.

This is so right!! Exactly what's going on! I need more staff too people applying are useless :(

Definitely, when I was at college some girls really shouldn't have passed.
I worked my butt off! I wish lecturers were more strict and could give a reference to the decent ones! I went self employed when I passed as no one would give me a job! Xx

... Just to add to these comments :: this is why City & Guilds have introduced the new (the old original way) to hair & beauty qualifications .. Which means all students are given an end exam written & practical elements which are assessed externally by the awarding body and not by the college - I for one couldn't be happier on these changes back to the 'old way' ... As these students who shouldn't be passing won't be ... X

... Just to add to these comments :: this is why City & Guilds have introduced the new (the old original way) to hair & beauty qualifications .. Which means all students are given an end exam written & practical elements which are assessed externally by the awarding body and not by the college - I for one couldn't be happier on these changes back to the 'old way' ... As these students who shouldn't be passing won't be ... X

I'm so glad! Luckily the ones who really shouldn't have passed aren't actually doing beauty now! But there are some that probably shouldn't (needed to learn a little more, or practise a bit more) that passed & I cringe when I see that they are working! Xx

Our education is up the creek without a paddle that is for sure. Im surprised that this hasnt been mentioned yet but you now cant leave education until you are 18 yrs old or have signed up to the armed forces. So those that didnt bother with secondary education are pushed into this industry as its considered easy and for those that may remain on low wages and may not have any other employment oppotunities. College funding is cut if students dont pass exams so matter how rubbish the student may be the teachers will be told by heads of department etc that they need to pass. Also the quality of teach is abissmal as well as you can go straight into teacher training once passed with no work experience! Surely it would be better to have good life experience behind you to then preach to the little darling snowflakes!

Then with the delevopment of social media and the tripe that is shown as 'hair, beauty and make up' as an easy park on your backside, spend five minutes doing something then rolling in the money and everyone seems to know it all!

Shame we no longer have national service to sort the boys from the men, wouldnt be having these issues of staff thinking they can have everything for nothing.

However may be it us and how the industry is currently set up and may be that needs to change?

You're always going to get good and bad beauty therapists/training/applicants.

I think that actually, the problem is bigger than the above. The austerity in this country is such that some people can't afford to work even though they may want to. That's nothing to do with poor attitude and everything to do with the basic maths. To be on minimum wage or just slightly above it can be just not viable for some people once they have factored in the cost of travelling to work (there are many parts of the county where public transport costs up to two hours wage to get to work).

I'm not saying that the above is right and I'm certainly not saying that the welfare state is too kind because it certainly isn't. What I'm saying is that there is a wider context to the issues being discussed here and I think it is worth taking them into account. I certainly don't think it is as simple as "most beauty therapists aren't good enough" because potentially, looking at it that way holds the risk of being condescending to people who would make excellent employees but have other factors holding them back.

Last edited:
Also, I think that a lot of damn good beauty therapists get disillusioned. I have seen it time and time again in my working life. Years and years of quality service to a company and not getting pay rises or other recognition that are reflective of this, employers who use the term self employed unscrupulously, zero hour contracts where people are sent home after half an hour, spas and salons where silly little girls rule by intimidation rather than actually manage. I've seen it all.

I'm not saying that everyone is like this because they're not. I'm saying that I think that the whole industry needs to pull its socks up in order to attract stronger candidates and ultimately, their loyalty to the industry and/or their employer.

Latest posts

Back