First "real" client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clo-Clo

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the industry having trained with nsi, anyway I had my first real client (as in a client who I didn't know) Anyway she booked me for trugel manicure, so when I got there she told me she had shellac on her hands and she probably should have told me but never thought of it. I told her I didn't use shellac but would remove it as having read on here removing is the same way I was trained. Lightly buff top coat, acetone on pad and wrapped with foil for 10-15 min. So when this stage was over the "shellac" barely came off. She said she got them done locally and I know this place does shellac. She told me the way they remove it was to soak her whole hand in acetone, I'm i right in saying this is not the way it should be done??? So this process took me 30 mins extra and then she said "oh I might not have time now as I have to go out in 30 mins" I told her I should have the time if we just get going. So then her kids were running all over the place and she had to bring one of them to the loo and the other one wanted to sit on her knee so I was running from one side to the other as the child was in the way!!!! I got it done in the end but I was not happy with my work so I went home deflated as I was so excited to get my bussness going and left feeling a bit of a failure worrying about the quality of my work.
I think I was wearing Rose-tinted glasses as all the clients I've done even though I know them were so polite and caused no hiccups.
So my question is what way should I have handled this and does this type of thing happen much??
Oh and do you think this salon is using real shellac?
Thanks

Thank god these clients are rare!
Just a note for future reference Shellac should not need the top coat buffing just normally wrap using acetone or similar for 10 mins and it should wipe away.
If you buffed the top coat and it still didn't budge, I woukd say it was unlikely to be the real CND Shellac. As for the other salon putting her whole hand in acetone....OMG!
I think you done well to get her finished with all the distractions.
Maybe in future make a point af asking new clients if they have any existing polish on their nails, if so leave a bit of extra time, if you finish early it will be a bonus.

Don't be put off by her, most are really lovely. x

Hi, welcome to the world of nails ... Lol
This does happen, normally with new clients, I usually ask when they make apts if they have anything to remove, and what it is, just to see if I need to add more time to the apt.
But these things do happen, mobile can be a nightmare with some clients, yet others are a breeze, you have to take the rough with the smooth.
But If it was true CND Shellac it should have come off in 10 mins once wrapped - with no need to break the seal either ... But No I don't think it was... X

I am relatively new mobile nail technician and most of my clients have been lovely. I just keep an open mind, be professional and do the best I can.

Oh bless you. Well done dealing with all of that.

I'm a bit of a newb too but when making appointments I always ask if the client will require removal and then ask questions about what they have on. I only do Shellac and can tell 9 times out of 10 on the phone if they've had proper shellac or some alternative polish.

If ive any doubt I allow extra time. Thankfully I mostly go to workplaces where there's no kids flying around.

Well done again. Xx

im brand new for here but I read a lot of post. dont give up with this case about your client got gelcolor done might be shellac but base and top coat might not shellac. Im not shellac fan because ton of broblem but Im stress from my job too sbout OPI gelcolor they peeling off in couple hour and chunky.

Thanks all, really appreciate your replies. From now on I know to ask about what they have on their nails and to allow extra time. In hind sight it was probably good to get a "tricky" client early on and have realised it's not just about doing a great job on nails, it's also having to deal with the people that are having them done. I have another booking for tomorrow so onwards and up....

Just think the positive side of this, been there done that, most of your future appointments will be better! :)

Latest posts

Back