First set of gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linznails

Reaction score
I've done my first set of gel extensions today with my trainer. I found it so much easier that the acrylics. I've posted a picture and would be really grateful of any feedback. I don't feel at the moment that I will ever have the confidence to charge anyone but I really loved learning it and am going to just try and practise now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 134
wow they look brilliant! loaaaaaads better than my attempt, I just cant make them look right.
Id say theyre worth charging for , definitely!

I get a picture of a nail table set up really weird! Xx

Aw thanks HannahKate, that's really kind. I did acrylics a few days ago and my first attempt looked awful, unfortunately they are on my mum do I have to keep on looking at them! I really enjoyed the UV gel though. I couldn't charge yet because they take me so long, I'm going to do a few more practice sets and just try and get my time down X

Vicky here is another pic X

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    989.3 KB · Views: 55
Same one is coming up must be my phone [emoji23][emoji85] I'll try on the browser [emoji23] xxx

Same one is coming up must be my phone [emoji23][emoji85] I'll try on the browser [emoji23] xxx

Go into settings and 'clear cache' will fix that right up! [emoji23]

Vicky here is another pic X
Aaah I've got it now!

Wow there fab! You should defo be charging! I want to learn them too! What gel system are you using can I ask? Xx

It's NSI UV Gel. I found it much easier than acrylics X

Aaah I've got it now!

Wow there fab! You should defo be charging! I want to learn them too! What gel system are you using can I ask? Xx
Thank you!

They are white tips aren't they?

White tips can throw your balance out, remember, for a french the white should be one third and the nailbed pink two thirds.

I can see the edge of the tip at the smile line so thin the tip a little more before applying the clear overlay, not too much or you'll buff through the colour, and you need to build your stress point a little more or they will snap under pressure.

Great start :D

It's NSI UV Gel. I found it much easier than acrylics X

I'll have to give them a try (and do a pro course)

Have you tried CJP acrylic? I haven't but I've heard nothing but great things, a couple of girls were close to throwing in the towel and they have totally changed their minds after trying there stuff! I'm gonna give them a go too. Never really done it since qualifying in them so I'm looking forward to trying them! Xx

Thanks Trinity! Yes they are white tips, I've not tried sculpting yet do you think that would be better? Thanks for your advise.

I'll have to give them a try (and do a pro course)

Have you tried CJP acrylic? I haven't but I've heard nothing but great things, a couple of girls were close to throwing in the towel and they have totally changed their minds after trying there stuff! I'm gonna give them a go too. Never really done it since qualifying in them so I'm looking forward to trying them! Xx
No I've only tried NSI. I found it so difficult, I think it's because I'm still really slow and you have hardly any time to work with the acrylic. I will look in to the CJP. It's really nice trying something new, I bet you'll love it. Thanks!

Good job for your first set :)

I agree they are a little top heavy looking, White tips are really not that compatible with gel I find, it's possible you will see the gel lift off the edges.

there are a couple of other pointers I may be able to help you with.

Your front form looks good, but you are filing away the sides to much and leaving a gap, Make sure your file is dead straight and not at an angle.

Your apex is in the wrong place too as mentioned previously, try to have the bulk of the product in the middle and taper to all sides , apex should be 50% between extension edge and cuticle. :)

EDIT: Typo that made info incorrect [emoji85]

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1476816187.072928.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1476816199.372568.jpg

Last edited:
Good job for your first set :)

I agree they are a little top heavy looking, White tips are really not that compatible with gel I find, it's possible you will see the gel lift off the edges.

there are a couple of other pointers I may be able to help you with.

Your front form looks good, but you are filing away the sides to much and leaving a gap, Make sure your file is dead straight and not at an angle.

Your apex is in the wrong place too as mentioned previously, try to have the bulk of the product in the middle and taper to all sides , apex should be 50% between extension edge and free edge :)

View attachment 201559View attachment 201560
Thank you! I do get carried away with the file, I will check my file is dead straight next time. So is my apex too high up? I was trying to get the bulk of it over the join between tip and nail. Thank you for your advise I really appreciate it! x

Yes it's too high up, it should be in the middle of the nail :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1476819895.932026.jpg

Latest posts

Back