First set of L&P!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lullabells

Reaction score
Hi

I have visited this site hundreds of times but this is my first post!!

Am new to nails and have just done my first set of acrylics.
Client wanted quite short nails and block acrylic colour.

Any constructive feedback would be great.....
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503436110.824341.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503436203.037586.jpg

Hi,
Lovely colour and not bad for your first set.
If you do a search there is so much information on refining a l&p nail that will help you tons! So it's worth looking through when you have time.

I'm just on my way out so I'm sorry if this isn't proper tech speak (I'm sure someone will correct me, so please do)

The little finger looks quite thick.
The shape should be more uniform across all of the nails (as in the length, they all look different shapes & sizes)

The side walls could be perfected more as the nails look very wide.

The acrylic is touching the cuticle on a few of the nails. And it looks as though your prep could have been a lot more thorough. (You can see lots of cuticle that could have been removed to give you a tidier, neater finish.) this will lead to lifting
Xx

Thanks cheeky chick, I told myself all of those things too!!!!

I had trouble keeping the form in place in the little finger. The nails were so short it just wouldn't stay still!

I thought I'd got most of the cuticle, but clearly not! Must get a new pair of nippers!

I forgot the nail puncher until it was too late [emoji36] so understand why the nails look wide.

Guessing I need to practice and perfect my shaping to make sure they all look uniform.

Practice practice practice.........

Nail pincher! Not puncher

Thanks cheeky chick, I told myself all of those things too!!!!

I had trouble keeping the form in place in the little finger. The nails were so short it just wouldn't stay still!

I thought I'd got most of the cuticle, but clearly not! Must get a new pair of nippers!

I forgot the nail puncher until it was too late [emoji36] so understand why the nails look wide.

Guessing I need to practice and perfect my shaping to make sure they all look uniform.

Practice practice practice.........

You might find it easier using a nude/natural coloured acrylic in the beginning. As I personally found it harder to see when using dark coloured acrylic powders.

Thing is now those things have been mentioned you'll remember for next time and you'll see your sets will improve with every one that you do.

I hope you don't think I was being too harsh. Xx

I'm gonna a set for me tonight and try with the natural colours!

I don't think you were harsh, honest and constructive which is exactly what I was looking for.
I will never improve if I don't know where I'm going wrong.

They were done on my 15 year old daughter so she loved them!!
I just want to be good enough to actually charge people !!

How long are the extensions in regard to the natural nails that you would need to pinch them? From what it seems there is not enough length on the extension to deform the c curve. You just need to learn proper filing. Everything cheeky said is correct. Start with natural colours as it will help. Try to watch some videos on youtube that show proper filing techniques and shapes. This is a good one to start with.

It won't be long! Practice on as many friends and family as possible.
It really helped me to book in a few sets a day so everything was fresh in my mind then if I'd noticed something in a previous set that I thought I could improve on them I'll work on that with the next set and so on.
Don't forget to take pics for yourself so you can see the improvements as you go.
xx

Latest posts

Back