First steps in going self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulouxo

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I've recenty just qualified, and feeling a little overwhelmed with where to start! My plan is to go self employed, working from home part time while keeping my day job, with the hopes of eventually being able to be a nail tech full time.

Would you say starting out a few week nights, and a Saturday would be a good place to start? How does everyone fit it in with a day job? I'd love to hear how everyone made the transition.

I'm also wondering if it would maybe benefit me more to rent a space in a hairdressers to get my name out there, but could be spending out more than taking in for a while!

So many thoughts, haha. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks! x

Start by getting yourself insured and registered with HMRC. Your local council may also have regulations you need to follow, so look them up.

I work full time in another industry, and do nails mobile during non-work hours and on the weekends. I have a very small, loyal client base and am not looking for new clients. This works perfectly for me, as I don't want to be fully booked every day of the week. :)

Find a setup that works for you, but don't expect to be fully booked immediately, it takes time.

I'm sure others will have more advice to give.

Thank for the tips and insight! That sounds like the perfect balance you have :) I know it will take some time to build up clients. I'll just have to have patience, and promote like crazy haha

Also, if you are planning to work from home, you need to check with your home insurance first, and potentially change your cover to include business usage.

Good luck, you'll love it!

Hi

I too work full time during the day and then work a couple of hours on an evening and a Saturday. I work by an appointment only basis as I work from home. My main work is through body piercing but I’ve also started beauty treatments over the last year and now in a position to do my microblading course this month. I also, now, 3 years on can pay myself 50% of what i make and 50% goes back into buying products. It’s a slow process but if you keep at it will pay off eventually. I’m really happy and I am hoping to build up more of a client base and then work full time at home. I don’t think I want the overheads of renting as I’ve put a lot of money into converting the room at home it work well for me. My clients love coming they all say it’s more personal and they prefer it than sitting in a salon around other people. Hope that helps x

Latest posts

Back