First time employing a trainee

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygeek_11

Reaction score
i have ran my salon for years and always employed fully trained staff but feel i am ready to take on board a junior/trainee to train them how we prefer as i find that's what i am having to do anyway.

i really want advise from salons on how they train or progress their juniors.

do you pay for advanced training for them for example gelish?

what are they things you could advise me on that will make it a smoother process as it will be very different having someone who is getting paid but can do very little!

i have ran my salon for years and always employed fully trained staff but feel i am ready to take on board a junior/trainee to train them how we prefer as i find that's what i am having to do anyway.

what are they things you could advise me on that will make it a smoother process as it will be very different having someone who is getting paid but can do very little!

You could talk to your local college - they'll be very helpful and could probably recommend one of their current students to match your requirements (I did this last year when I took my therapist on). They can probably also advise you on funding & training schedules etc.

HTH
Debbsxo

Really depends what services you expect your trainees to do on clients and what you mean by junior/trainee. I was a trainee once 6 months from finishing my level 3 beauty. I learnt quick and due to the variation in treatments I filled in less busy days and did some treatments whilst training in others, that can ease process.

Trainees/junior can vary in skill dramatically due to variances in colleges and aptitude of student for example some people I trained with excelled with make up but could not do massage. Find out your most popular service and try and seek someone who can do those roles whilst training them in other areas.

In regards to advanced training it depends on how confident they are in basic skills but they are employees so the employer SHOULD pay for cpd and write up a contract stating fees must be repaid if a person leaves the job within a set time i.e a year.

If apprehensive about employment or pay I would suggest you go to a local college and get an apprentice, the NMW for an apprentice I believe is 2.60 per hour there are often grants available for businesses so you will limit how much you are spending.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/apprenticeship-grant-for-employers-of-16-to-24-year-olds

I suggest getting apprentices who are slightly older as they tend to really want the experience and would not get the courses free/subsidised otherwise. They also tend to know this is what they want to do as a job for at least the next few years which can be difficult if you are only 16, saying this each individual is different.

thanks so much for your reply bettybaa. very informative. i have interviewed a girl today studying level 3 coming sep age 22 so fingers crossed she seems great! it's confidence on the most part i feel for them isnt it!?

thanks so much for your reply bettybaa. very informative. i have interviewed a girl today studying level 3 coming sep age 22 so fingers crossed she seems great! it's confidence on the most part i feel for them isnt it!?

yes confidence is the main issue with newbies. Good luck with this trainee.

Latest posts

Back