Florida in September - Any tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautygirlxx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm off to Orlando in September with my boyfriend and I cannot wait. It's my first time so I'm so excited however I don't know what to expect?

Does anyone have any tips on which places are the 'must see and do' or what's the best clothes to wear to theme parks, where's the best place to go in the evenings, shopping etc?

I am going for 2 weeks and I've had people say to me there is never enough time out there so I want to see and do as much as I can!

A website called the Dibb will help you with all your questions :)

i went there almost 10 years ago. re theme park clothes, shorts and a strappy top really - denim hotpants, just something cool that you wont flash your knickers if the wind catches you hehe! datona beach is beaut! deffo take a picnic there one day! so so lovely. i also went to the mall there which was great, cant remember what the name of it is though. universal studios is great. i wouldnt go sea world - after watching the film black fish!!! its disgusting how they treat the poor whales there! they are kept in tiny pens out the back, many whales have died there. I wouldn't want to give them another penny. I never went disneyland but heard thats also a must! ENJOY :) xxx

Wow thanks Cazbar, I have never heard of this website, i'll have a look through!

And Carly i have been looking at Daytona beach it looks beautiful, do you recommend anywhere to go in the evenings?

Iv been a couple of times, take a rain mac because the weather there is unpredictable but should be ok in sept. I went in July and it poured it down for two weeks straight!! It will be very warm though so comfy shoes shorts are ideal as they are comfortable cool and great for getting on and off the rides. There are loads of malls for shopping everywhere and if you ask at reception they will either give you directions or they will have some leaflets. I have only gone for the theme park hol so can only advise on that side of florida. Downtown disney is a great place for evening and there is an old style American arcade there where all the games are free like street fighter and a buzz light year bumper cars that fire foam balls at each other, we spent whole rainy days inside this arcade and it is fab! If you want to ask me anything pm me, I could talk all day about florida! Me and my husband are looking forward to going back and taking our little girl in a few years, I'm so jealous

We are mainly going for the theme parks aswell but I've heard there is so much to do and want to do as much as we can. I recieved the theme park tickets this morning and now it feels real I'm going haha.

Funny enough I bought that book a couple of weeks ago on my kindle it does seem a good read.

Oh my goodness where do I start!

We honeymooned in Florida for three weeks last sept/oct and yes we stayed in a princess and the frog room in disney, because I'm that obsessed! We did lots outside though.

Good news

Out of the holidays so theme parks are pretty quiet
Weather is starting to cool off and be less humid
The evenings are a nice temperature
Everyone is lovely and very helpful

If you go to disney ( a must in my opinion) you will have less crowds and the dining reservations are a little easier to get. Also towards the end of the month is the food and wine festival at

Epcot, absolutely fantastic and a definite must if you love good food wine and beer.

Also micky's not so scary Halloween starts in september so if there is a night that you are there and this on BOOK TICKETS! It's the second best parade and fireworks show after the Christmas one, there is trick or treating and the rides are dressed up as are all the cast members, guests, characters and shops.

Are you a harry potter fan? If so island of adventure are good, if you get a hopper ticket you can use the hogwarts express to travel from the newly opened diagon alley to hogsmead. Even if your not a huge fan it's still worth a look and both parks are great fun. Little note if go to island of adventure and plan to go on their crazy/wacky toons water rides...go in boardies and a vest top and expect to get soaked through worse then jumping in a pool fully clothed.

Busch gardens has a lot of promotions on in September, it's a lovely zoo with complete adrenaline rides and we did things like feed giraffes in an open top jeep.

Wouldn't recommend sea world, the rides aren't amazing and the whales just look ridiculous in those tiny tanks.

Disney water parcs are great for a relaxing day, if you go to typhoon lagoon make sure you snorkel with the rays and if you go to blizzard beach don't wear a bikini down summit plummet, my top pretty much flew off.

Fine dining in disney is out of this world, the yachts mans steak house at the yacht and beach club is lovely as is Albert and Victoria (ultimate fine dining) and we loved the restaurant at contemporary resort (California grill I believe), if you book it right around the time of the fireworks you can go out on the veranda and have the most amazing view with music played through the speakers before your meal. Ohana is awesome too! But the general restaurants a still rated highly with us. We are off site too and if you get a chance try an American diner Waffle House, awesome!

We also did Cape canaveral, husband, uncle, dad liked it, I was bored after two hours but worth a trip.

Coco beach is nice for a break.

Always get to parks at rope drop unless you are staying on property and don't forget to plan your days around which parks have night time parades, fire works displays and shows.

Bad news

It's hurricane season, says it all really. We got lucky in three weeks there was only a handful of storms, but when they start if you're at a park just put a poncho on and keep going, they don't last long and tend to empty the parks so less lines.

It is hot! And humid! Don't bother with make up or hair straighteners.

The average service charge is 15%-20% and your servers will expect this. We were leaving $20-$40 tips on average, although it's not mandatory it's frowned upon to not tip well and they will ask for the tip to be noted down on the bill before they give you your actual bill (in other words see what you want to tip before giving you your proper bill) cheeky and expensive so keep that in mind when eating out. You are also expected to tip bar staff if you have drinks at a bar. If you try to get away with not some waiters will ask why as they are paid so poorly Americans tend to always tip well.

Clothes

I wore boardies if I knew we were going on water rides, but you dry off quick.
On other days I wore shorts or leggings.
Shoes wise don't wear flip flops unless you know you can do 7-10 miles in them. I work sketchers go walks and didn't get a single blister in three weeks.

Also don't forget to consider your bags, will you want a big back pack on rides? Can you get away with a little over the body purse so you don't have to use lock ups?

Ahhh the old fanny purse comes in handy ;-) sorry that's what they are called in America

Ahhh the old fanny purse comes in handy ;-) sorry that's what they are called in America

I think its 'Fanny Packs ' Pinkpants - Bum bags to us in the Uk .

When I went I found it invaluable . I always said I would not be seen dead with a bum bag but honestly in the parks -worth its weight in gold

Wow, a comprehensive list there!

I'd also add that if you are hiring a car it's worth swinging past the town Celebration (Disney created it many many moons ago for their employees).

It's a bit stepford wives but so picture perfect and a welcome time out from the busyness of the parks...oh and there's a beautiful Thai restaurant there too ;)

Rich

Wow, a comprehensive list there!

I'd also add that if you are hiring a car it's worth swinging past the town Celebration (Disney created it many many moons ago for their employees).

It's a bit stepford wives but so picture perfect and a welcome time out from the busyness of the parks...oh and there's a beautiful Thai restaurant there too ;)

Rich

Yeah I think I went a bit nuts :)

Wow thanks Cazbar, I have never heard of this website, i'll have a look through!

And Carly i have been looking at Daytona beach it looks beautiful, do you recommend anywhere to go in the evenings?

Well I went when I was 16, so didn't really go out in the evenings as I was wayyy under age to drink hehe! I just remember loving daytona beach. xx

Latest posts

Back