Foiling - help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've had quite a few full heads of foils in recently and I keep noticing that my foils on top and at the sides are fine, but at the back, especially near the nape, there are some nasty bleeds! And when they haven't bled, they aren't close enough! My last head of foils was with high lift, so I was convinced it wouldn't bleed because it's not bleach.... And it still did [emoji26] any advice on how to do better foils would be really appreciated x

Hey guys! I've had quite a few full heads of foils in recently and I keep noticing that my foils on top and at the sides are fine, but at the back, especially near the nape, there are some nasty bleeds! And when they haven't bled, they aren't close enough! My last head of foils was with high lift, so I was convinced it wouldn't bleed because it's not bleach.... And it still did [emoji26] any advice on how to do better foils would be really appreciated x

I have the same.problem for some of the bottom foils!

I've seen a few youtubers doing them upside down for the bottom ones to get them nice and tight but I've not tried myself yet

Do you use cotton wool in between your foils, that stops bleeds ☺️ Hope this helps x

How do you place your foils?

What sort of fold do you do on your foils?

How fine do you take the sections?

Starboltz that's an interesting idea! I'm open to trying anything, might have a look on YouTube!

Ninar that's definitely an option, I think I'll give it a go if this problem persists. Ideally I want to get my technique really good so that it's less of an issue [emoji38]

Cams I tend to do rows of 2 or 3 foils at the back depending on the width of the clients head [emoji13] then go up the sides in a single row, and down the parting. I have a machine which cuts my foils with a double fold for extra thickness, and I put it into the tail comb and fold over towards me. Depending on the desired outcome I sometimes take my sections thicker, but generally I do take them quite fine, as I worry about not getting close enough to the root on thicker sections

I find my bottom foils slip too much :/
But overall I love foiling

Me too I love foiling, it's one of my favourite services to do and I really want to get it right :(

Me too I love foiling, it's one of my favourite services to do and I really want to get it right :(

I hate to admit, but I struggle with the bottom, and the bottom of the sides.

But once I work my way up, I'm having a right blast!

Try doing one single row from crown down, the width of the flat area then diagonal bottom sides in toward your crown down section, you'll end up with tiny foils joining your crown down section but it's much easier and I've never had slippage, you can then go diagonal back from the front to join the crown down section easily & the top crown to front can either be foiled from part down to diagonal backs at the sides or from hairline at the front back to crown very versatile :)

To add to what kahuna has said, try having the fold away from you, you can then tighten the foil once its folded up. Not folding the sides of your foil makes a huge difference too:

As an extra too, fold the flap away from you then when you fold up and sides in and are about to tip the foil up to clip it out of the way press your tail of your comb onto the foil at the area where the foil joins the head (top) as it goes up and it creases as you fold up making it tighter to the scalp & it avoids bleeding and slipping (not sure that makes sense lol)

Folding the foil fold away makes so much of a difference! I actually just recently started doing so, and foils are much closer and sturdy against the scalp! Be sure to not over saturate the hair in foils, especially highlifts do swell sometimes! Add just as much to cover!

I have the same.problem for some of the bottom foils!

I've seen a few youtubers doing them upside down for the bottom ones to get them nice and tight but I've not tried myself yet
How do you do upside down foils?

Best way i find is to take a very fine section, fold the foil away from you when you slide it under your tail point, this gets it close to the head. With Bleach fold the foil up but do not fold in the edges like most people especially my hair trainers taught me to do because when bleach swells, which it does, It has nowhere for it to go but onto the scalp. Fold in the corners slightly just to keep it in place.

Another thing to do is tell the client to keep still. If clients are moving there head from side to side all the time they are more likely to slip out. Just say it in a professional way that they need to keep their head pretty still if possible.

Hope this helps

Thanks for these responses guys, these tips make a lot of sense and it sounds like they could be the answer to my problem! X

Latest posts

Back