Foundation that doesn't cause breakouts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemforster

Reaction score
Hi, just popped over from nails for make up advice. Can anyone recommend a foundation that gives a medium-full coverage that doesnt cause breakouts? I am currently using Maybelline mousse but within a day or 2 I have a breakout. I have also used the bare minerals but had the same problem. My skin is fine when I dont wear foundation but I like some coverage for that flawless look. Its only after wearing foundation that I seem to geta breakout. Any recommendations will be appreciated, thanks!

Well in theory no foundation should cause breakouts unless you have a sensitivity too the product in general. Be sure that your skin care routine is up to scratch because if your not removing make up correctly then this could be causing the break out?

You may have a reaction to the products and just not know it. I recommend Jane Iredale mineral make up as it is as irritant free as it gets. You may not have an allergy to perfume, but a lot of make up contains perfume and whether you have an allergy or not, why would you want to put perfume on your skin? You also want to watch out for a product called bismuth oxychloride that is in certain brands of mineral make up. This is a common irritant and can cause tingling particularly when you sweat, and cause horrendous spots. Also, mineral make up only has to have the smallest traces of minerals to be called a mineral make up, so be careful what you choose. Hope that helps!

I recently posted a thread looking for combination skin matte foundation for my clients and I too have combination skin sometimes. I'm trying out no7 matte foundation - it's oil free. What I have been looking for us oil free ones that are well pigmented but not heavy - it's a task! I'm going to check out clinique and Clarins too.

Look for foundations that do not contain oil, are matte and medium coverage (these can be built up to full coverage) and preferably not perfumed. Also use oil free skin care and alcohol free toner. I use loose mineral foundation sometimes and these are 'breathable' and shouldn't block your pores; check how you're applying it and clean your brush often; apply your pressed or loose powder in downward strokes to prevent pore blockage. Hope this helps x

Thank you so much for the replies. I'll bear all of this in mind. I only tend to take my make up off with simple cleansing wipes, but I do scrub until the wipes are clean (no left over make up). Is this sufficient, or do you think this could be causing the breakouts? Thanks again xx

Do not use wipes. I truly believe there are no good ones. You're better off using a gentle cleanser and removing it with a tissue or a clean damp flannel. I'm afraid wipes are loaded with product that keep them moist and stop them growing bacteria. They remove most of the good bacteria from the skin - amazing to see on a Visia machine - you can literally tell who uses wipes as there is no protective bacteria on the skin at all. Hope that helps!!!

Yikes, the wipes will be going in the bin as soon as I get home! Could well be the wipes then and not the foundation as I only use the wipes after Ive been wearing foundation.

Thanks again x

I have suffered from acne since I was 10 and 3 years ago I stumbled across Cliniques Anti Blemish collection and can honestly say I have never looked back. I use all the skin care products which have cleared up everything, I only occassionally get one or two spots now due to hormones, but I also use their anti blemish foundation and I love it. It stays in place all day and doesn't slid off your face, its oil free and also has something in it to prevent breakouts, its a great coverage too, if I'm having a good skin day I tend to cut down how much I put on but if I've had a breakout I don't usually have to use much concealer as it's a great coverage. I hope this helps cos I know if someone had told me about it earlier I wouldn't have suffered for as long as I did.

Clinique anti blemish really does work. Just make sure you are cleaning it off every day, and using a good quality primer.

I found my newly sensitive skin was breaking out when using regular liquid foundations, so I researched intently and found Lily Lolo mineral foundation. Have been using that for over a week now and so far my skin has improved dramatically. It doesn't have bismuth and talc which may have been what was breaking you out with bare minerals. Lily Lolo's website lets you get sample sizes so it's worth a try. I'm really pleased with it. My aim is to use less coverage when my skin improves more.

Hey, I swear by Clinique Super Balanced Foundation. I'm a fully trained makeup artist and it is the only foundation I use, and all my clients love it! I don't get half the amount of breakouts since using it. It can go on lightly for during the day and can be layered for a really good coverage for night time. Use their loose powder on top. Honestly, I love it, and it was recommended to me directly by Oonagh Boman who is a very well known makeup artist in Ireland.

One thing I particularly dislike about the Maybelline mousse foundation is how it is in a little pot, making it way more likely that bacteria can enter, grow, and then be transferred on to your face. Whenever I use cream foundation compacts or foundations in jars, I always use a spatula and transfer it onto the back of my hand. Just a thought.

As for Bare Minerals, the likely answer is probably bismuth oxychloride. This can cause breakouts for some, but is used a lot in mineral cosmetics for the dewy glow it imparts. I've worked with a lot of mineral makeup companies, and only a few have managed to skip the bismuth whilst still achieving a lovely dewy finish with their foundations. Hth xx

Bourjous Healthy Mix! All healthy ingredients.. its cheap and cheerfull! Quite a light coverage but gives me a glowing dewy look! Or for a more high end product id mac studio fluid! x

I finally went for Lily Lolo. Been wearing for a fortnight an so far no problems at all. Only downside is I would prefer a thicker coverage. No matter how much I try to layer I dont seem to get a heavier coverage. To be honest though, I can live with a lighter coverage as my skin is clearer.

Thanks for all of the replies geeks xx

Latest posts

Back