Foundations for photos?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelaJH1982

Reaction score
Hi all,

im from the nail forum and would like to ask your advice on the best foundation that looks good in photos?
I usually wear estee lauder stay in place foundation which i like but always makes me look very pale in photos.
I wear Fresco (estee lauder) as iam quite pale, i usually wear bronzer and blush but still look washed out in photos.
Please can anyone advice on a good foundation that doesnt reflect the light back in photos? Was thinking mac foundation, but not sure which one as there are a few options or which shade would be similar to fresco.
I have combination skin, gets quite oily in tzone but dry patches in places.

Thanks in advance for any replies x

Look for a foundation without SPF, that's what gives you the white cast in pic. There's quite a few around so you should find one no problem.

Bobbi brown skin & Mac Face & body are favourites x

I looked at Bobbi brown but nearly all have spf in them?
Which one doesn't?
I seen compact foundations, but neaver really got on with these as to cakey.
Is there any others or links you can recommend me? Thanks

Had great MUAs use Mac and Smashbox on shoots and images have come out beautifully. I've also used airbrush water based foundation that looks fab in images too.

hi thanks for reply, which mac foundation would u recommend as there a few to choose from?

Mac foundations do have SPF in them however it is photo stable and does not cause flashback , if you like double wear you will like studio fix fluid :)

Yeh I meant most foundations without SPF are good for photography however those 2 I mentioned are also great x

Karaja skin velvet is great for photos and doesn't have an SPF ( I used to have the white face problem)

Just checked and Mac face and body does not have SPF in it.

I'm also pretty sure the bobbi brown foundation stick doesn't either. X

Just checked and Mac face and body does not have SPF in it.

I'm also pretty sure the bobbi brown foundation stick doesn't either. X

Nas1a has it spot on!
I used to work for Bobbi and the foundation stick is amazing I also swear by face and body.

Nas1a has it spot on!
I used to work for Bobbi and the foundation stick is amazing I also swear by face and body.

Sorry Nad1a! Silly auto correct haha x

Do you know what shades in bobbi brown and mac are closet to 'Fresco' shade in Estee lauder?

I usually would go to counter to try out but have to order on internet as my town doesnt have them in stores to buy.

Last edited:
You can wear foundations with SPF but it depends on the amount of SPF which affects photography. As much as I like EL Double wear for my skin, it is not great for eg. brides when they are being photographed all the time.

Dior Forever gives good coverage and looks great in photographs.

Do you know what shades in bobbi brown and mac are closet to 'Fresco' shade in Estee lauder?

I usually would go to counter to try out but have to order on internet as my town doesnt have them in stores to buy.

I used to wear ecru in DW and I am Porcelain in BB. Not sure how dark/light fresco is. Have a look online for some swatches x

Many foundations contain SPF in them, the Mac studio fix is fantastic for photography, I'm also a huge of the Kryolan TV stick its awesome. Alternatively you could use any foundation you fancy using, as long as it doesn't have more than SPF 15+. Anything higher than that will flash back in the shoot and will make your face look white. Xx

Many foundations contain SPF in them, the Mac studio fix is fantastic for photography, I'm also a huge of the Kryolan TV stick its awesome. Alternatively you could use any foundation you fancy using, as long as it doesn't have more than SPF 15+. Anything higher than that will flash back in the shoot and will make your face look white. Xx

I'm pretty sure double wear only has an SPF of 10 and it's the worst for flashback , I think the op may have to get a few samples of foundation s and try taking a picture of yourself with a flash and see what works , as some people can wear the same foundation and on one person it will have more issues than another. I can't say I have had any issues and I do a lot of photographic makeup and I use Nars sheer glow , Estée Lauder double wear light , mac face and body , Giorgio Armani luminous silk , Laura Mercier silk creme.

I have also watched goss makeup artist videos and he claims by putting a coloured powder ie not translucent should help to counteract flashback and also some of the Hd setting powders are awful for flashback as they are more intended for TV work and not flash photography .

Also this might help with shades in other brands that are similar to your shade in double wear , it's a foundation matrix and you put in the foundation you use and it will give alternatives on lots of brands of foundation that match
http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix-results

There's also a site called Findation which is really good for matching different brands x

Thank you all so much for your advice and tips :)

Just been looking around on the net and I wondered what your opinions are on smashbox studio skin 15 hour wear hydrating foundation?
Does this look good in photos and feel similar to wear as the estee lauder stay in place makeup?

Latest posts

Back