French help, please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondegal

Reaction score
Morning all! I wonder if anyone has any tips regarding doing french manicure with gel polish. I use Icon UV Polish and I am struggling to get the white tips right. I do all my usual prep and bond, base, first colour etc then when I get to the white it all goes a bit pear shaped. I either get too much on my brush so I get a 'lump' on the end of the nail, or not enough so the colour goes patchy. I usually sweep behind the white with a dry brush to perfect my smile line but more often than not, the white has run out of shape on the nail where the gel settles. Can I ask how you do yours? I'm quite new to the business, and my colours are fine but if someone asks for French it fills me with dread at the moment!

Also, is a 9w bulb a 9w bulb? i.e. I bought a lamp from my trainer as part of a kit with my Icon gel polish - it has no brand name - if I buy 4 standard 9w bulbs will they be okay?

I hope someone can help!

Morning all! I wonder if anyone has any tips regarding doing french manicure with gel polish. I use Icon UV Polish and I am struggling to get the white tips right. I do all my usual prep and bond, base, first colour etc then when I get to the white it all goes a bit pear shaped. I either get too much on my brush so I get a 'lump' on the end of the nail, or not enough so the colour goes patchy. I usually sweep behind the white with a dry brush to perfect my smile line but more often than not, the white has run out of shape on the nail where the gel settles. Can I ask how you do yours? I'm quite new to the business, and my colours are fine but if someone asks for French it fills me with dread at the moment!

Also, is a 9w bulb a 9w bulb? i.e. I bought a lamp from my trainer as part of a kit with my Icon gel polish - it has no brand name - if I buy 4 standard 9w bulbs will they be okay?

I hope someone can help!

i was taught in my training last week to dry brush the section where you apply the white as this will stop the colour moving , ive tried it and its worked well for me :)

and apply 2 thin layers of white, the second coat should iron out the patches

i was taught in my training last week to dry brush the section where you apply the white as this will stop the colour moving , ive tried it and its worked well for me :)

Brilliant - that sounds good - I will try that next time - thank you so much! :D

Sorry it's going to sound stupid but what do u mean dry brush and what to do .i only do acrylics but thinking to go into gel polish x

Sorry it's going to sound stupid but what do u mean dry brush and what to do .i only do acrylics but thinking to go into gel polish x

Its not stupid hun, i only found out recently

its when u go over the tacky layer of a gel polish (usually the base/foundtion layer) with a dry brush to roughen it up and take the sheen of to help the next layer of polish stay in place, i use my gel brush to do this

HTH

Hiya!

I too used to really dread clients asking for french but quite a few in a row made me improve (I hope!).

Like the other poster said do 2 thin coats of white as I found I was applying it too thick to start with and although it looked ok it wasnt as smooth as it should be.

I have attached a picture of one of my french polishes I did for a bride (also using Icon).

Louise x

Attachments

• french.jpg
    french.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 168
Hiya!

I too used to really dread clients asking for french but quite a few in a row made me improve (I hope!).

Like the other poster said do 2 thin coats of white as I found I was applying it too thick to start with and although it looked ok it wasnt as smooth as it should be.

I have attached a picture of one of my french polishes I did for a bride (also using Icon).

Louise x

Hi Louise, thank you for that! I will definitely give that a go xx

If you are afraid of applying too much, try adding a few drops of white to a non porous surface like a tile and apply it with a gel brush. You can always use a clean brush to perfect the smile line. Also, try freezing it for 20 seconds in your uv lamp before moving to the next nail, this will keep the white from running

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back