Friends constant mither

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynseylashes

Reaction score
I have a so called friend/family friend who tries her best not to pay even though she’s getting it for practically the cost of the products.

She’s asking for her hair curled at least 3 Times a week and doesn’t pay but wants me to do it on a night when my salon is closed at my house or her house. She isn’t going anywhere just to bed then to work the next day.
When she is goin somewhere she books in at another salon and as pin curls and pays them.

The last 7 days I’ve had messages every single day asking can I just put a plait in the front of her hair. It wouldn’t just be a plait when she gets here it will be can you just curl the rest. I have ignored all the messages apart from the first two days I said I’m busy then I ignored the rest.
I feel like if I say something it can be twisted round to say i only asked you to do a quick plait. I’ve spent more time stressing out over it than doing her hair would have taken but I don’t see why she should have a personal hairdresser to do her hair for free everyday for work. I feel insulted by it.

The fact is I don’t want to be doing anyone’s hair on a night when I get home. I don’t have any time to myself as it is and sometimes I want to relax or catch up with housework.

She says if I wash my hair tonight can you put a plait in it like she’s doing me a favour washing her own hair.

Anyone else had his problem with friends or family

No, I don’t have that problem because no-one I know would dream of being that cheeky.
However, you’ve got yourself stuck in a situation where she’s taking you for granted and simply using you as her personal slave.
How does that make you feel?
Time to put yourself first for a change.
Just tell her from now on, you will not be doing her hair at all, ever. Regardless of whether she’s willing to pay you. She’s taken you for granted (for a mug) for far too long and you’ve decided it has to end for the sake of your friendship. Make it sound like your decision is to save your friendship.

Whatever you do, don’t hesitate. Be firm and say NO.

I'd work out how much she owes me in terms of what a client would and give her a joke bill.
If she realises you're losing money, she might think twice about asking. Or when she asks, simply explain you're busy.
She's using you and if she doesn't realise this is harming your income and also your down time, she maybe shouldn't be a friend at all.

That's no friend! :cool:

I have a friend that is a mobile hairdresser and she was doing all of her friends for the cost of the tube of tint, but then it got to a point where they would all meet up at one of their houses and all have their hair done in one night (3 of them plus occasionally a couple of their kids) for colours and cuts... so my poor friend was having an entire LONG night (they thought it was nice all getting together) for probably about £60 in total o_O ... then one day she texted them all and said that she is in business and is losing a lot of money for a nights work and sent them a price list each, it was still a "mates rates" price list but she had added a charge for her time as well as the products. I think they were all annoyed but when I was around them one day and heard one them say "I've got to pay £45 for my high lights and cut next time for god sake".. I said "wow what a bargain, I hope you tip her.." I think the penny might've started to drop. They all still use her, so it didn't harm their friendships...

No, that's definitely got to stop!
Send her a message to say that as your business is expanding so rapidly you are no longer able to accommodate her.

Thanks everyone
She does it with nails aswell. She will pay one time and then the next time say she as forgot her purse then the next time won’t pay for the time she as missed and that’s not even my time that’s Staff I’m paying to do that.
She never takes no for an answer and doesn’t take the hint with anything I say. Most of the time I just ignore her messages but still get annoyed inside and feel insulted that I’m not good enough to pay.
She gets shellac nails for £9 as it is to cover my staff and product and tries not to pay that.

Thanks everyone
She does it with nails aswell. She will pay one time and then the next time say she as forgot her purse then the next time won’t pay for the time she as missed and that’s not even my time that’s Staff I’m paying to do that.
She never takes no for an answer and doesn’t take the hint with anything I say. Most of the time I just ignore her messages but still get annoyed inside and feel insulted that I’m not good enough to pay.
She gets shellac nails for £9 as it is to cover my staff and product and tries not to pay that.

Bless you! It’s hard when you do something to be kind and then someone take the mick x

I have a friend that is a mobile hairdresser and she was doing all of her friends for the cost of the tube of tint, but then it got to a point where they would all meet up at one of their houses and all have their hair done in one night (3 of them plus occasionally a couple of their kids) for colours and cuts... so my poor friend was having an entire LONG night (they thought it was nice all getting together) for probably about £60 in total o_O ... then one day she texted them all and said that she is in business and is losing a lot of money for a nights work and sent them a price list each, it was still a "mates rates" price list but she had added a charge for her time as well as the products. I think they were all annoyed but when I was around them one day and heard one them say "I've got to pay £45 for my high lights and cut next time for god sake".. I said "wow what a bargain, I hope you tip her.." I think the penny might've started to drop. They all still use her, so it didn't harm their friendships...

I absolutely hate 'mates rates'. It's insulting and degrades my skills and the time I took learning my craft. I didn't go to college for 2 years full time not earning a penny and then spend 2 years as an Improver on very little money to undervalue myself or expect anyone else to, either.
Please put this 'friend' right. Explain in a nice way and be firm ... please.

Why are you so desperate to be her friend? She’s clearly a user and will just find another mug when you stand up to her.
Please tell her NO MORE.
Honestly, you will feel sooo much better when you set new boundaries with this ‘friendship’.

I have no mates rates. None. I run a business. Not one of my friends has been offended - and I mean besties - that we charge the going rate. She does it because you let her. I would simply say that from 1 June you will be charging everybody the going rate with no exceptions. As for this woman, I would lose her to a staff member who then charges her the full price. Remember, you’re letting this happen. You have to stop it. Best of luck because she sounds like a nightmare, but she would make me dig my heels in even further.

Vic x

Bin her !!!! She is certainly no friend and not the sort of person you want as a client either! Scrap the "mates rates" completely. I have plenty of friends who are also clients (and vice versa) and none of them would ever expect any kind of discount. Put yourself and your business first. Oh... and tell her why you're binning her! ;) Good luck.

Latest posts

Back