'Friends' owing money

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassystylist25

Lower paid psychologist
Reaction score
I hope some of you can advise me with what to say! A close friend of mine has had colours the last few months (big colours, like stripping, full head of highlights etc) and owes my salon a considerable amount even though I offer her 50% off.

She is booked in for another colour correction soon and then a full head of extensions a day or two later (i have said i won't be ordering hair until i have the whole sum of money for the hair) and i have offered 50% off fitting charge.. thing is i KNOW for a fact i won't see the money for products/time/my efforts apart from the cost of the hair extensions. The previous colours haven't been paid for. I blow dry her hair for free nearly every week.

She was originally going to get a relative to colour her hair to save money but has since said no she'd rather me do it.. then i find out through a mutual friend totally by accident that she was booked into another salon for her colour but cancelled. so her relative was never going to colour her hair and when i mentioned 'oh x wants to change her colour again!' she was like 'oh is it i didn't know!' :/

she runs a business herself and just text asking if i can do her hair out of our working hours as she's 'losing money' not being in work... while i'm losing money being IN work and not being paid.

I really don't want to lose a friend but i feel really used and upset as i feel i constantly give and get nothing at all in return. it's also very difficult as our businesses are right next door to each other. i do get a free spray tan with her occasionally if i'm going out but thats very rare as i prefer doing it at home. i am also very close with all her family. they are all customers. oh and dare i admit it i am absolutely petrified of her and i can't put my finger on why!!! :-|

[QUOTE="sally40, post: 2589845, member: 112832Really awkward as she is a friend but she really is taking advantage of you but I would have to in a diplomatic way say something and if she doesn't pay up then is she such a good friend ?Re her family , if they are happy with you then I doubt you will lose them x

Have you told her that she needs to pay? Friends have the tendency to think that everything comes for free.
Anyway I'd politely remind her of her sum and tell her you wouldn't be able to do her any more services unless she pays up. If she finds any excuses to that then I'd be too exhausted to stay after hours or have something very important to do at home, which would probably be true anyway. Why waste your time on someone who doesn't appreciate it?

....she runs a business herself and just text asking if i can do her hair out of our working hours as she's 'losing money' not being in work... while i'm losing money being IN work and not being paid....

Exactly!
Here's what I'd do. It's not easy, but once done, you'll feel better for having tackled it.

Work out how much she owes you in total.
Work out how much it should have cost if she were a paying client. (Including blow drys)
Work out approximately how many hours you've spent doing her hair.
Work out how often you've had a free spray tan and the equivalent cost.
Write it down on a piece of paper. (You owe ££. I spent xxx hours on your hair. I've lost £££ in revenue)

Arrange to see her (maybe for a coffee on neutral ground rather than in the salon). You need to speak to her face to face and have a short direct conversation about the fact that every time you do her hair, she is effectively taking money out of your purse. Show her the evidence.
If you include the spray tan costs, she can't argue that it's a genuine reciprocal arrangement.

Tell her that you value her friendship but you can't understand why she doesn't appear to value yours in the same way. Make it clear that she must pay in full what she owes you before you can do her hair again, and in future, you expect her to settle her bill at the time of the service.

It's up to you whether you are willing to offer her half price services in future. If you do, set a limit on how many cuts etc. she can have in a 6 month period and don't let her take advantage of you again. She'll be embarrassed but you can move on from this if you tackle it as a business issue rather than a personal one and keep your emotions in check.

Best of luck!

Exactly!
Here's what I'd do. It's not easy, but once done, you'll feel better for having tackled it.

Work out how much she owes you in total.
Work out how much it should have cost if she were a paying client. (Including blow drys)
Work out approximately how many hours you've spent doing her hair.
Work out how often you've had a free spray tan and the equivalent cost.
Write it down on a piece of paper. (You owe ££. I spent xxx hours on your hair. I've lost £££ in revenue)

Arrange to see her (maybe for a coffee on neutral ground rather than in the salon). You need to speak to her face to face and have a short direct conversation about the fact that every time you do her hair, she is effectively taking money out of your purse. Show her the evidence.
If you include the spray tan costs, she can't argue that it's a genuine reciprocal arrangement.

Tell her that you value her friendship but you can't understand why she doesn't appear to value yours in the same way. Make it clear that she must pay in full what she owes you before you can do her hair again, and in future, you expect her to settle her bill at the time of the service.

It's up to you whether you are willing to offer her half price services in future. If you do, set a limit on how many cuts etc. she can have in a 6 month period and don't let her take advantage of you again. She'll be embarrassed but you can move on from this if you tackle it as a business issue rather than a personal one and keep your emotions in check.

Best of luck!
I had to do this recently and my friend was shocked that she'd had £650 of free treatments.
She now pays full price and comes once per month instead if fortnightly!

Latest posts

Back