From Acrylics to Gel Polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claireybearyowen

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Sorry for yet another question, I promise one day I will on here giving advice :)

I had had a call from a lady via a recomendation ( which is fab ) , she is looking to start having gel polish but currently has acrylic of some descpription (She was very vague and didn't really know).

My gut instinct is to allow the acrylic go grow out and gel polish over the top keeping the nails short untill we just have gel polish, but she wasn't too happy about that and wanted me to remove the current product and start a fresh. I recommended she return to the salon that she normally goes to and asks for a removal if that is what she wanted, again, she didn't like this idea ( I think she felt she would be embarrassed about chossing to go elsewhere and have a different product, which I can appreciate ).

I am just looking for advice, have I done the right thing, or am I being over cautious ?? I work with the natural nail and have never applied an acrylic or LP type of product and would not feel confident in removal. But, I am also more concerned at what I might uncover and what I then could be left with to sort out.......

I have only been working back in the industry since September so still have soooooooo much to learn and really don't want to run before I am walking.

I am not afraid of admiting when something is beyond my capability and currently I have left her with my thoughts and intial advice and to get back to me if she wants to go ahead.

Basically, what would you have done ? And what advice would you have given to her ??

I look forward to hearing from you.

Claire :hug:

Hi Geeks,

Sorry for yet another question, I promise one day I will on here giving advice :)

I had had a call from a lady via a recomendation ( which is fab ) , she is looking to start having gel polish but currently has acrylic of some descpription (She was very vague and didn't really know).

My gut instinct is to allow the acrylic go grow out and gel polish over the top keeping the nails short untill we just have gel polish, but she wasn't too happy about that and wanted me to remove the current product and start a fresh. I recommended she return to the salon that she normally goes to and asks for a removal if that is what she wanted, again, she didn't like this idea ( I think she felt she would be embarrassed about chossing to go elsewhere and have a different product, which I can appreciate ).

I am just looking for advice, have I done the right thing, or am I being over cautious ?? I work with the natural nail and have never applied an acrylic or LP type of product and would not feel confident in removal. But, I am also more concerned at what I might uncover and what I then could be left with to sort out.......

I have only been working back in the industry since September so still have soooooooo much to learn and really don't want to run before I am walking.

I am not afraid of admiting when something is beyond my capability and currently I have left her with my thoughts and intial advice and to get back to me if she wants to go ahead.

Basically, what would you have done ? And what advice would you have given to her ??

I look forward to hearing from you.

Claire :hug:

I would probably recommended the same as you, but as well as shortening the enhancement I would also thin it out. But if she was insisting it was removed I would have removed it and then applied my gel polish, but I am a Nail Tech who is trained in enhancements.

Hth's

Hi Vetty,

Thank you :) xx

I have decided to give it a go and emailed her to to advise. Was FB-ing with the Gelish Harmony crew and they were helpful and very similar advice to you hun.

Thank you for taking the answer it is appreciated
:hug:

Hi all
Just an update for you all......... The possible client has gone off on a holiday with the plan to go back for removal and call me to start working on natural nail with gel polish ;-)
So we'll see!
I'm glad I was up front with her hopefuly it will pay off! Xx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum Appall.

Latest posts

Back