Frontline flea treatment can cause Shellac to lift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmonyholistic

Reaction score
hi my mum has been having shellac and has now had it three times. she has had no problems with it and loves it. the other day she put a frontline spot on on her dog beauty.
it lifted within half an hour on one of her fingers. she had accidentally got some on her nail and that was the nail it came off. it lifted off in one piece.
just thought this tip may be helpful for some techs. glad it was my mum and not a client. :rolleyes:

Im not suprised its quite a strong chemical.
It can burn our skin so haven't a clue how dogs are fine with it?
Thanks for the tip though! X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It may contain a chemical similar to Deet?
Deet lifts gel and power polishes which is a pain on foreign holidays x

yes that was my thought too. my mum is partially sighted so she had to run her fingers through beautys coat to check it was in right place bless her.

It may contain a chemical similar to Deet?
Deet lifts gel and power polishes which is a pain on foreign holidays x

I use jungle formula max strength (50% deet I believe) on hols as I react stupidly to the slightest mozzie bite.
I noticed that normal nail polish is badly affected by deet, sun and chlorine and the deet would 'melt' the nail polish and it looked awful after a couple of days, even when just using a few sweeping sprays at distance.
However, my last two holidays I was wearing IBD uv gel polish on fingers and toes and did the same application of deet as always for 2 weeks without any negative affect and have to say I was well chuffed as fingers and toes still looked brand new at the end, apart from growing out.

Missy Muffin, perhaps the effects differ depending on the brand of uv polish or brand of deet? Or maybe I got lucky as I was certainly expecting to see some negative affect from the deet.

Missy muffin and Harmonyholistic,
I've tried doing some research online regarding deet and frontline.
I can't say I have an entirely conclusive answer but here's what I found:-

DEET definitely has a melting effect on plastic, so application to any sort of nail covering, be it polish, gel, false tips etc should be avoided where possible and I will certainly be advising clients of the possible negative effects in future.

It would appear that Fipronil is a main ingredient in Frontline and I found a document on the industrial clear up of chemical spills; They advise gloves used for Fipronil will break down over time and to thoroughly wash gloves after use. The higher the concentration, the higher a grade glove to be worn.
I think based on the above, it's certainly possible it's caused the gel to lift.

FYI: I have no professional knowledge of these chemicals and comments are purely my opinion :) x

Last edited:
I use jungle formula max strength (50% deet I believe) on hols as I react stupidly to the slightest mozzie bite.
I noticed that normal nail polish is badly affected by deet, sun and chlorine and the deet would 'melt' the nail polish and it looked awful after a couple of days, even when just using a few sweeping sprays at distance.
However, my last two holidays I was wearing IBD uv gel polish on fingers and toes and did the same application of deet as always for 2 weeks without any negative affect and have to say I was well chuffed as fingers and toes still looked brand new at the end, apart from growing out.

Missy Muffin, perhaps the effects differ depending on the brand of uv polish or brand of deet? Or maybe I got lucky as I was certainly expecting to see some negative affect from the deet.

That's really helpful, thanks x
I have 2 clients going on Safari soon and I'm so nervous as they have booked for Calgel and Gelish. I have warned them about Deet as my instructors at college specifically told me its a big no no.
I have given them both aftercare slips so they do know what may happen. Fingers crossed!

I am going away on Saturday and usually use Jungle spray. Any suggestions to an alternative? I don't want to loose my nails :sad:

I am going away on Saturday and usually use Jungle spray. Any suggestions to an alternative? I don't want to loose my nails :sad:

Just putting an idea out there....... Would a barrier cream on nails prior to 'deeting' work? Maybe Vaseline or a moisturiser then wipe/rinse off after?
Might try on some nail pops and see what happens

Oooo let me know how it goes. I may just stick to my avon dry oil spray with citronella and keep me fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back