Frustrated at my lack of business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d2022h

Reaction score
I've been working as a licensed nail tech for a year now and I still have no real clientele. After 6 months at my first location which was a higher end spa I switched to a high end salon in hopes of having a better opportunity to build a solid clientele, and yet I am even less busy than before. I spend most of my days having absolutely no clients. I passed over the asian type salons thinking that a high end place would be better and now I am regretting that choice. At both locations we did mainly natural nail services so I've never really had a chance to build an artificial clientele base though I have been brisa gel certified and the few gel or acrylic clients I do have are pleased with my work, though I admittedly take a long time 1.5-2 hours for a set as I do handfile everything. Im almost ready to just walk away from it all as I cant afford to make so little. The owner has me giving away free services just so he can justify paying my hourly wage and while all the people I give a manicure or pedicure too claim they love my service or that even Ive given them the best "mani/pedi" ever I rarely ever see them again or if so not regularly enough to make a living. Im sorry for the long post I just needed to vent I guess. I dont post often here but I have been a member and have been reading posts since I was in school as a nail tech. I graduated with such high hopes of having a career and now, while I enjoy doing nails, I hate it.

I've been working as a licensed nail tech for a year now and I still have no real clientele. After 6 months at my first location which was a higher end spa I switched to a high end salon in hopes of having a better opportunity to build a solid clientele, and yet I am even less busy than before. I spend most of my days having absolutely no clients. I passed over the asian type salons thinking that a high end place would be better and now I am regretting that choice. At both locations we did mainly natural nail services so I've never really had a chance to build an artificial clientele base though I have been brisa gel certified and the few gel or acrylic clients I do have are pleased with my work, though I admittedly take a long time 1.5-2 hours for a set as I do handfile everything. Im almost ready to just walk away from it all as I cant afford to make so little. The owner has me giving away free services just so he can justify paying my hourly wage and while all the people I give a manicure or pedicure too claim they love my service or that even Ive given them the best "mani/pedi" ever I rarely ever see them again or if so not regularly enough to make a living. Im sorry for the long post I just needed to vent I guess. I dont post often here but I have been a member and have been reading posts since I was in school as a nail tech. I graduated with such high hopes of having a career and now, while I enjoy doing nails, I hate it.

Hi, i can understand your feeling. maybe you can look into these few point.
1. pricing
2. get client to book next appt
3. offer samples product
4. service and quality
5. most importantly are you targeting the right crowd

cheer!

The only gauranteed income as a tech is in your overlay services (gel or L&P) - I think you may need to shift your focus onto this.

because these require regular rebalancing you have them hooked - I would suggest that this is where you need to become more aggressive in your marketing ... perhaps some local advertising offering a discount for full sets?
then, so long as you are 'rebooking' them before they leave at least you are starting to build some regular income.. Don't worry about speed, this will come with practise :)

mani/pedi really should be the cream on top of your core business as these are seen as 'treat' services where as once an enhancement wearer, the less likely they can live without them...

hope that helps

The one thing I would have to say that people totally don't understand is that it is almost impossible to build a business in a year. It takes, in most cases, more than two years and can take even longer. Majority of businesses if they stay in business over 3 years they are doing great. Expecting to be a great sensation and fully booked in a year is unrealistic, and IMO, according to experts. It is very rare and by pure luck that some do that well their first year. And in this economy it is even harder.

Instead of focusing on what people aren't getting maybe shifting your attention to what people in your area want will bring you business. For instance, in my area ladies are conservative, therefore, they don't want crazy nail art, long pointed nails, items embedded in their nails, lots of different colors, etc. They want simple, basic, natural looking nails. I do a lot of American Manicures and P/Ws. Why would I constantly feel discouraged because they don't want what I want to do or expect them to get?? If you are getting a lot of manicure clients, great!! They can be very loyal clients and the profit increases with those kind of clients because your product costs is less. Trying building on what the area needs and wants.

I hope I didn't misunderstand the situation, if I did, I apologize, but I hope this way of looking at things will give you a sense of relief and maybe a different way of looking at this business.

I completely agree that it is unrealistic to expect to have a full clientele after only a year in business, (not impossible, but quite unprobable). I have a solid marketing background and have recently started a fairly successful side project helping practicioners new to the beauty industry to build their clientele and giving marketing lectures at a local beauty school. (Its been super fun for me, but its kept me from salongeek for way too long!!! lol). Something like 90+% of new businesses acutally lose money in their first 2-3 years of operation, and remember, EVEN if you are working for someone else for the time being, as a nail technician, you ARE a small business! Every bit of time and money that you put into your business is an investment, and only if you stick with it will you eventually see a return on your investment. That being said, most of the new nail techs I know find other ways to supplement their income, wether it be selling retail or even getting a second job. It's hard work and you have to be willing to make a substaintial investment, however, if you cant make it work then consider the possiblity that it might not be the right time in your life to start a business:( I would love to help you, I have lots of tips and ideas to share but a lot of it depends on your personal situation so i wont make this any longer lol, feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Just a thought, If you were to give your client a card on her first appointment which you stamp each time she comes in which would make her 4th appointment free hopefully by then she would be hooked.
The pet shop did that to me before xmas and i must admit i did make sure i bought my dog food from there.
or for the summer, 4x nail app. =1 free gel toes.
Good luck x

I have been in the same situation until lately when I decided to create a Facebook page for my business and invite as many people as possible, i put pics of my work up there are even do a 'competetion' every few months that people can enter for a free file and polish or set of weekend nails, it gives people the chance to look at your work - and lets face it everyone is on facebook these days and to me its brilliant free advertising, look at my page Unique Nails xxxxx

Hiya what I do is make up little pamper packs and say to clients that if they can get me at least 3 other clients they can have one of the packs when the last client has been to see me - it seems to work! Its an incentive for them to find clients for you.:)

Hiya what I do is make up little pamper packs and say to clients that if they can get me at least 3 other clients they can have one of the packs when the last client has been to see me - it seems to work! Its an incentive for them to find clients for you.:)

That's a good idea.

i started my business in November after being made redundant and I love being my own boss!!!
I have a marketing background, which has really helped me to get loads of new clients. I have a website, take advantage of all the free advertising that i can (gumtree, freeindex, google maps, etc), google ad words, leaflets, postcards, business cards.
I am always plugging my business, and never go anywhere without a handful of business cards!!!

I have a very small budget so I try to do little things that cause a big impact! I send every new client a 'Thank You' card, which I hand write to make it more personal, and add things like: I hope you had a good time at the party/ wedding, hope your husband has gotten over his manflu!, etc
If they haven't rebooked I might offer them a discount on their next treatment, or if they have rebooked I will offer them a reccomend a friend discount.
For the price of a stamp you will not believe the impact that the cards get, and you are guaranteed that they will tell all their friends how thoughtful you are!

I hope this helps xxxxx:lol:

I totally agree with well everybody actually, lol.

1. You are a new business and you have to be prepared that you might make a loss.

2. Loyalty cards - will show you who is coming back and will give them an incentive.

3. Recommend a friend/ share the secret cards - bring you new business and give them 20% off each, which is bringing in money rather than giving out treatments for free

4. Special offers - If the client books for her reballance and pays upfront, they get a discount.

5. Advertise - everywhere you can. The free sites on the internet are great!

6. Why not give some free sets to people who will be seen often and can recommend you, such as waitresses or checkout girls. Give them a load of your business cards to hand out.

Hang in there xxx

Latest posts

Back